LDRS 33. 2014??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone who launches at Bong give a briefing on what field conditions we can expect.
From the Sat pictures it looks a bit damp, water resistance may be important. Waiver height?
I have been there but it was 15+ years ago and I don’t remember much

Mark

As previously mentioned current waiver for 2013 is 10,000. Will it be different for LDRS ? There are but a few select who may know that answer and I am not one of them.

With regards to field conditions, they change and can change greatly based on weather. Last year we were in drought conditions and most launches were cancelled. Last weekend I experienced lush green grass ( some of it tall), some soggy areas since we have had quite a bit of rain this season, some very uneven prairie areas, Yes there are some trees and bushes that occur in areas. It was also windy about 14mph average all weekends & partly cloudy, Temps in the upper 60's. The week before minimal wind, temps in the high 80s to low 90s with about 80% humidity.

To fly at Bong or to vacation in Wisconsin you have to be able to re-act to rapidly changing weather conditions. There is a saying here that goes something like this " so you don't like the weather right now, just wait a minute".

I can tell you I loved last weekends conditions as I was comfortable all day with the wind and clouds, and the environment and wind improve my skills as a flyer. I launched things from "A" to "K" (11 flights in all) and hit speeds up to Mach 2.0 and altitudes from a couple of hundred feet to over 8000. We had some who flew a couple of "L" flight s and at least 1 "M" flight.

Most common phrase I heard last weekend ( I said it too). Should have used my tracker on that flight. Even a 1500 to 2000 foot flight with tall grass and wind can make a rocket hard to find. I spent my fair share of time walking around looking in the grass for rockets.

You won't hear me complain about the "bong" whether winter or summer as every launch offers up an adventure.

You"ll find me next year at LDRS with my vehicle filled with hiking boots, rain gear, shorts, pants, extra layers, tick spray, and a big smile on my face.

Guys anything you see here that is not from Frank,Preston (he is Frank Son) or my self is not anything official about LDRS 33.
The waiver has not even been talked about yet, I would like to be able to get windows for LDRS, But I am not committing to anything.
There will be an official announcement about LDRS 33 in the not to distant future.
As far as recovery I know The club has an inflatable 4 person raft for recovery in the lakes ( I donated it to the club), tree poles( I think there is a 60 footer around). If you use a tracker you will be fine flying to the waiver,you might get your feet wet.

As far as recovery I know The club has an inflatable 4 person raft for recovery in the lakes ( I donated it to the club), tree poles( I think there is a 60 footer around). If you use a tracker you will be fine flying to the waiver,you might get your feet wet.

"Over the creek and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go..."

Sounds like a great adventure!!!

Flying at Bong is a great adventure. All the same, I’ll put a few more details on Preston’s smart advice to fly smart at Bong, not just for Mark, but for all of the flyers new to Bong.

1) Dual deploy. The area right around the launch pad provides some very nice landing space. But, the further you get from the immediate area, the more trees you face, the bigger those trees are and the higher your chance of a water landing. So, minimize drift as much as possible. For sure, all flights over 5,000 feet should go dual deploy (this might even be an actual rule). Many fliers set an even lower cut off, say 3,000 feet. You’ll see H’s and I’s go dual deploy. I’ve even seen G’s fly dual deploy. (Junior flyers remember that your mentor MUST handle your ejection charges.) No need to open the main at super high heights to regain tracking. Give the main just enough time to open.

2) Excessive shock cord. I use 30 yards – not feet, YARDS – of shock cord in a 4 inch rocket (20 in the drogue compartment, 10 in the main). The reason for this is the aforementioned trees. If your rocket gets caught in a tree, the longer shock cord increases the chance that some of it might hang low enough to reach. Doesn’t always work this way, but it helps. The extra shock cord means that there is no real need for a drogue ‘chute. We fly drogue-less all the time at Bong. Helps to minimize the drift (see tip #1).

3) Sturdy, water resistant construction materials. The water that Mark saw in the pictures might just have been spring. Spring is very wet at Bong – puddles, swamps. But, by July, the only water hazard we will (hopefully) face is a few dog training ponds and a lake and its surrounding swamp. If you have followed tip #1, you may just avoid these altogether. But, its best to have some water resistance built into the rocket anyway. A lot of people use fiberglass at Bong. If you do use cardboard (especially if you are going high and not following tip #1), then paint and gloss-coat it. At Rockets for Schools, we actually land cardboard rockets into Lake Michigan ON PURPOSE, and they come out just fine. Leave the blue tube at home. Its too wet and too humid.

4) Tracking. Bong is actually a “managed prairie”. By July, the prairie grasses will be, on average, from knee high to waist high, but neck high in some places. You can be two feet from your rocket and not see it because it is hidden in the grass, or hidden up in a tree. At a minimum, re-purpose one of those personal alarms that makes noise when you pull the pin. Better is a directional beacon (rocket hunter). Remember to waterproof it. We cover the case in electrical tape to make a water tight seal. I like GPS for Bong. There’s nothing worse than following a directional beacon through a thicket of thorn bushes only to find out that, had you had the bird’s eye view, you could have gone around the thorns.

Guys anything you see here that is not from Frank,Preston (he is Frank Son) or my self is not anything official about LDRS 33.
The waiver has not even been talked about yet, I would like to be able to get windows for LDRS, But I am not committing to anything.
There will be an official announcement about LDRS 33 in the not to distant future.

Seconded. I too have an inflatable raft that will be available. A few local members have sets of poles as well. Like Preston, in the same timeframe that Preston has been stomping around at Bong, I too have only lost a couple...3 to be exact. 1 walked off (I blame the dog people:wink:), 1 was in the Bong water before we became smart enough to use a raft or brave enough to wade in (not the recommended method), and only one that was just plain inaccesible. If the wind is out of the East or West, it is an outstanding place to fly. If it is out of the South or North, as Preston stated: simply fly smart. Utilize dual deploy and don't try to set any altitude records if you have a strong N or S wind. True it may be an adventure, but I truly enjoy the challenge. I have flown at several locations with greater "challenges"; I have recovered from areas much less attractive than even the Bong water.

For after hours entertainment, I have to think this is one of the best locations in the country for extracurriculars. You're just South of Milwaukee, just West of all the food and outlet stores off the Interstate, a bit North of Chicago; a bit East of Lake Geneva. Plenty of opportunities for good fun when not at the launch site and/or to keep a wife content for a few days.

-Eric-

True it may be an adventure, but I truly enjoy the challenge. I have flown at several locations with greater "challenges"; I have recovered from areas much less attractive than even the Bong water.
As a general rule, I've found Midwestern and Eastern rocketeers to be way more fun to party with after the launch, because they all have epic recovery stories to share.

(TFish is an exception to the general rule ;))

I have flown at several locations with greater "challenges"; I have recovered from areas much less attractive than even the Bong water.

I have never flown a rocket in Wisconsin, but I did learn long ago to avoid direct contact with the bong water. (C'mon, somebody had to make that joke!)

The first time I was invited to the "Bong launch" well you know .............what I was thinking!

Soon however, I found out it was a park named after Richard Bong, an flying ace from WWII.

Either way....stay out of the Bong water.LOL!

The first time I was invited to the "Bong launch" well you know .............what I was thinking!

Soon however, I found out it was a park named after Richard Bong, an flying ace from WWII.

Either way....stay out of the Bong water.LOL!

After seeing what Eric had to paddle through last year to recover his Tarantula, the worst Bong water on the planet would be an improvement!

So in summary

Keep it below 9000’
Dual deployment
Long shock cord
Commando (Drogueless)
Waterproof
Buoyant
Trackers, gps best

I am going to have to learn some new skills, I have never done dual deploy or used a tracker. I just do an apogee deploy and chase it across the playas.

Mark

Hey all you LDRS people.............just to let you know. Everything said negatve about Bong may be a little true or pretty much exaggerated. It's a park with natural growth so it's not a "walk in the park" situation.......your hunting and survival instincts will be sharpened when your driving back from where you started. The website for LDRS 33 will be coming soon.

Tripoli Wisconsin Assoication (TWA)

I'm lucky enough to go to XPRS this year. Maybe next year I can make LDRS or BALLS!

Back