LDRS 30 September 1-6, 2011

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, we're a bit more....understanding....with the ladies.

As for G2? We made him wear long regular undies, long undies, boxers, shorts, t-shirt, flannel shirt, long pants, sweat pants, parka, and a snowmobile suit.

Then we considered letting him on the range!

-Kevin

Are you sure you weren't dressing him to bake a cake? :D

At least it was in Pickrell, NE!! Awesome time last weekend.

MindCrime.
I like that rocket!!!
The weather was nice, but the corn concerns me in the months to come. I lost one in a far corn field last August. Trackers will be a necessity!

Last Saturday. It was a cool 85 degrees..... :D

-Kevin

:roll:

It would be way cool if 'Stempy' were to make a come back using Blue Tube 2! Bet it wouldn't flop around like a 'noodle'!:dark:

It would be way cool if 'Stempy' were to make a come back using Blue Tube 2! Bet it wouldn't flop around like a 'noodle'!:dark:

Not sure; not gonna buy the tube to find out....

"Stempy"... >sigh< Darned editors ruined the joke -- it was "Stumpy".

Though I don't think Pat Gordzelik has yet forgiven me for his assumping, from the name on the flight card, that the rocket really was a stumpy little rocket "out on the long blue rail".

-Kevin

Sooooo anyone pushing close to 34k willing to work with me to piggy back a camera onboard? I have a wee little camera about the size of your thumb maybe smaller that records 14 minutes of 720p video.

Rocket must go higher than 25k and must use dual deply (no return no video its onboard not transmitted)

if its a really neat rocket I would even consider two camera's (one looking out and one looking straight down)

I am going to make an effort to attend this LDRS since its within driving distance for me. (23 hours)

we're planning on being there... We can miss a few days of school.

JayHawk family photo 3.jpg

ohhhhh someone likes jayhawk's!

where in the world did you get a chocolate syprup bottle that large!! cool!

ahhh man you SUCK new sight to be addicted too damn you !!

Yeah, I knew you'd like it! This stuff screams to be flown. At LDRS 30.

With 56 pads (plus any away cells that will need to be set up), I'm certain we can find a place for you to fly your fleet!

Bob Brown
Launch Director, LDRS 30

I am going to try very hard to make it to this LDRS. its a lot closer than usual though its nasty humidity hot country :) hehe Hopefully it will be a lot cooler by the time september comes around next year.

I want to try to punch my 720p high def 120' wideangle camera to 10,000 ft :)

https://il.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEZWynytQs

I later punched it to 4000 feet with a K780 blue streak but the camera was dead so I used the kodak and it gshocked (turned off 3/4 the way up Grrr)

https://il.youtube.com/watch?v=71MbtP9RGeE

I figured the batteries (AA) would not be a problem since it was horizontal Guess I was wrong.

I will use the JVC next time as it has a built in soldered battery pack.

I also want to try and do a naramlive.com style page for LDRS.

I was going to grab ldrslive.com but i have too many domains already I will just put it up on rocketrylive.com :)

Here is that K780 at 240fps

https://il.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0m82xB3gE&feature=related

and at full speed

https://il.youtube.com/watch?v=AImaHF8OSqs&feature=related

IF the camera can take it my next project is to built a rocket around launching my highspeed camera from a rocket pointed down.

My biggest concern is will the AF mechanism jam or even break under the G load. They are finally cheap enough that I am willing to risk it ($200) but it would suck to whack a camera and not even get the video.

I also want to rig a way to STOP the video after launch so that if something DOES go wrong I might still be able to recover the video from the wreckage if the memory card survives :)

Last edited:
I have just experienced my 2nd Airfest, last year being my first. I don't think I broke a sweat at either of them. Day 3 and 4 this year had some wind problems. But the temperature was comfortable at 80-85 with moderate to low humidity. I can't stand the heat. Trust me, if I can take it, just about anyone can!

With 56 pads (plus any away cells that will need to be set up), I'm certain we can find a place for you to fly your fleet!

Thanks, Bob. We are looking at investing in a trailer for this event, as it gets harder and harder to fit everything in the 2 SUV's we usually take to local launches. For the distance involved (from northern Illinois), I'd like to bring at least four "M" & "N" projects to fly at LDRS.

The photo's that I captured at LDDRS are posted at www.shutterpoint.com just search for airfest and you will find all of them. They are available to be purchase so that you can enjoy your moment of the launch. I tried to capture as many flights as i could and wish I could have captured all of them. Congradulations to everyone for some realy great flights.:)
:wave:

Nice shots. What kind of EQ are you using? Shots are a wee far sometimes. what was your distance? do they still let you get closer if you sign a waiver at these launches for photographers?

Do they still let you get closer if you sign a waiver at these launches for photographers?
The answer to this part of your question for KLOUDBusters launches like AIRFest and when we host LDRS here at Argonia is "No".

Only professional photographers will be issued press credentials to access the pad side of the range. There are too many big rockets with big motors and too many people with cameras who want to shoot up close to allow it to be any other way. Safety is Priority One, and having a bunch on non-flyers out there poses a risk we aren't willing to take. Details for obtaining press credentials will be available around January 1, 2011.

Lance Lickteig
KLOUDBusters

Well I have run Naramlive and Rocketrylive for over 13 years so I hope that qualifies me as professional :)

I will await Jan 1 :)

Last edited:
How soon before the LDRS 30 Website comes alive?

Gary,

We are shooting for January 1st (or there abouts). The holidays are a bad time for our webmaster (and president) to hunker down in the basement and bang on computer keys. When it does come up, LDRS will still be 9 months away!

Bob

Gary,

We are shooting for January 1st (or there abouts). The holidays are a bad time for our webmaster (and president) to hunker down in the basement and bang on computer keys. When it does come up, LDRS will still be 9 months away!

Bob

Bob
LOL Yeah no time for anything around the Holidays, I look forward to its arrival. Thanks -G-

Greetings from downunda!

I have only attended 1 LDRS which just happened to be in Argonia, I was so impressed with the setup, camaraderie & spectacle, I have convinced my wife and a another rocket buddy from downunda to make the trip again.

We will be there in September 2011, and will be flying a reasonable sized project using a central N impulse motor with 3 outboard 38mm motors.

The plan is to fly it a couple of times over the duration of the event.

It will be great to catch up with some of the friends I have made on previous trips, and hopefully meet and make many new friends this time around.

20 hour drive........Meh! Close to 11,000 miles for me and probably some 25 hours flying time! But I am as excited as heck to get back........looking forward to the updates Lance & Bob!

I have only attended 1 LDRS which just happened to be in Argonia, I was so impressed with the setup, camaraderie & spectacle, I have convinced my wife and a another rocket buddy from downunda to make the trip again.

We will be there in September 2011, and will be flying a reasonable sized project using a central N impulse motor with 3 outboard 38mm motors.

Excellent!

Will we be seeing the big THOR again?

-Kevin

Excellent!

Will we be seeing the big THOR again?

-Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Looking forward to catching up again! :smile:

Unfortunately the big Thor will have to stay at home this time around, (freight costs are a bear) :cry: but we have a plan which involves us finalizing construction of our project on arrival in the US. :wink:

The design is just a basic 3FNC rocket, 7.5" Dia x 170" long with a 98mm MMT and 3 x 38mm outboards.

We are hoping to fly it on an AT N3300R and air-starting 3 x AT J825R's and then again on a CTI N3400SK and 3 x J540SK's

Looking forward to catching up again! :smile:

Deb and I are looking forward to it, as well!

Unfortunately the big Thor will have to stay at home this time around, (freight costs are a bear) :cry:

Bummer!

but we have a plan which involves us finalizing construction of our project on arrival in the US. :wink:

The design is just a basic 3FNC rocket, 7.5" Dia x 170" long with a 98mm MMT and 3 x 38mm outboards.

We are hoping to fly it on an AT N3300R and air-starting 3 x AT J825R's and then again on a CTI N3400SK and 3 x J540SK's

Excellent! If you need somewhere to ship stuff to before you get here, just let Deb or I know. Wouldn't be my first delivery to an LDRS.... :)

-Kevin

Back