LDRS 29, June 2010

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reviewing this thread - one thing...WOULD YOU PEOPLE STOP WITH THE KARI BYRON PHOTOS ALREADY?! It's bad enough to miss LDRS in the first place and then that...SHEEZ

...well, the crate has shipped! 200lbs of rockets are on their way via FedEx to Victorville California.... fingers crossed they arrive in the same number of pieces they left in! :)

Ben

How'd it go? :confused:
I tried looking for it @ LDRS, did you have it placed out somewhere?

heres a couple shots from LDRS...

What a great launch.. thanks ROC.

ariesairstartssmallcropped.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

I have a ton more.. but give me some time to sort through them.

After reviewing this thread - one thing...WOULD YOU PEOPLE STOP WITH THE KARI BYRON PHOTOS ALREADY?! It's bad enough to miss LDRS in the first place and then that...SHEEZ

I know right? There is just another empty LDRS shelf in my heart now, along with the Kari Byron one :p

Here are a few more pics I took. If anyone has any pics of my disruptor, please let me know. Enjoy!

disruptor & kole.jpg

bbII.jpg

schimitar on a sparkie.jpg

Attachments

• echo3.jpg
    echo3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0
Phil & Mark with some girl......

BTW... Phil and Andy were 2 really cool guys from England. Glad I got to meet them and hang out with them.

phil kari & mark.jpg

phil and andy.jpg

OK ... so the Bomber flew... sideways. Only the main and 1 motor in the pods lit and it caused it to fly downrange...

manta1.jpg

manta2.jpg

manta3.jpg

Worst damage yet, but I think easier to fix than before, if that makes any sense.

A huge thank you to Carrie Schnieder for the fanatastic pics.

manta zipper.jpg

I would like to say thank you Gary Schneider (Fuddrucker) and his family and Mark & Marion Hayes for their hospitality and kindness while attending LDRS. Thanks for lettin' me hang with you, I always enjoy your company and look forward to the next time.

Kole and I had a great time.

Great pictures Tim, thanks... The Manta Bomber was cool even though it didnt lite properly.. looked like it was going to fly all the way across the range.

Heres one of Gary Schneiders Der Red Max... It flew on an L skidmark... what an AWESOME flight.

Then another of that girl, who is not to be named.. LOL

DSC00798.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

Oh yeah and one of the Photon.. Nice rocket Tim..

I also got to meet Mike Stoop of Mad Cow rocketry, His new Fiberglass kits are SWEEET!

Then Todd Mullin and his team (Punk Rocket Science) came over with their Interceptor N, that was an INCREDIBLE rocket. the detail they put into it was unbelievable. THe up part of the flight was AWESOME. better luck on the recovery next time. fortunately even though it came in without a chute it landed pretty soft. looks like its fixable..

Some of the other cool flights were a HUGE upscaled Mars Lander, A Klingon Battle cruiser, A BSG Viper, A HUGE Comanche 4, Evil R3D2, and Nibbles the astro cat made 2 or 3 successful flights..

Then there was the Talon on a "P" flight... that had to be to COOLEST Schread I have ever seen (thanks guys) and the Oddessy flight to 12,000 feet or something like that.. and how about the guys from Arizona with the Patriot barrage.. That was just WAY COOL.

Tim, it was great seeing you and Cole. And the guys from across the pond told me to tell everyone THANKS they had a splendid time! By the way Phil (from the uk) shipped his 3" talon over for the launch and got 3 GREAT flights 2 on Cesaroni J335 Red lightnings and 1 on a 6XL classic J420 to almost 7000 feet. his personal best for that rocket.. I have some Keychain cam video if anyone is interested.

disruptor small.jpg

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00789.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all

Just a quick one to say thanks to everyone who gave us (the Brits) so much hospitality and help over the week.

I managed five flights over the week, one a day. Would have been one on every day of the event but Thursday was just too windy even for us :) I think (and I'm happy to be proved wrong) having flown HPR on every other day, including the second from last launch of the event on Tuesday (when there were only 6 pads left on the range :) that I might have been the only person to fly on every day the range was open?

Anyway, managed one J flight, two K flights, two L flights and one M flight, which is normally what I'd do in one year in the UK :)

The Samurai cone rocket flew Sunday afternoon (unfortunately delayed two hours by Ky and the Discovery crew and the spectator-chasing coffin).

The up part was good, I put two low-current igniters in each of the Skidmark K's in the end to be sure. All four lit instantly (yes, they ARE instant on :)

Unfortunately I need to have a chat with Cesaroni (if I ever find a way of contacting them) about their warranty claim procedures as one of the delays (all of which were set to 10 seconds) fired 1 second after burnout with the 60lb rocket travelling at about 400mph+

It zippered through 2ft of airframe and two 1/2" bulkheads... which I thought was impressive :) The chute blew a pannel but held and the whole thing landed comparatively safely in the middle of the range. It's repairable with a couple of days work... but a pain considering the cost and effort we went to to get it out there to fly and considering it was a product failure that screwed it up.

Also made several flights with hi-def cameras onboard... I've enclosed a screen-grab from one of the 'L' flights on Saturday showing the LDRS flightline from about 2000ft or so during ascent.

A few special notes of thanks go to:

Wedge, Ian and the ROC guys who went through hell to put the event on (and more importantly break the range in a massive dust storm on Tuesday afternoon)

Nadine for that photo (will be in touch shortly) and the lovely baby presents :)

Frank Kosdon for wearing the t-shirt I made for him back in 98 (though thank God not the same shorts).

The guys from Rockets mag for covering our launches when the Disc channel were not interested. (And being on the recieving end of me being uber-p*ssed off when the Samurai landed).

The vendors for supplying our AP needs (especially Tim @ Wildman for going above and beyond the call of duty)

John (who'se sir name I will have to go and find off the notes I made) who loaned me the roll of lead tape to keep the Bigtrak Express stable.

And all the other great Tripoli folks who made this a hell of a memorable trip for all of us.

Won't make next year... but I certainly can't wait to make it back to another LDRS as soon as possible...

Ben

mod-FILE0001.MOV.Still021.jpg

sml-mod-IMG_2870.jpg

Then another of that girl, who is not to be named.. LOL

AHHH YOU PEOPLE ARE KILLING ME!!!

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

:bangbang::mad::bangbang::mad::bangbang:

I swear if I get any more green people are going to think I am a very out of shape hulk and then spontaneously combust in flames if this doesn't stop.

AHHH YOU PEOPLE ARE KILLING ME!!!

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

:bangbang::mad::bangbang::mad::bangbang:

I swear if I get any more green people are going to think I am a very out of shape hulk and then spontaneously combust in flames if this doesn't stop.

LOL... You wont like me when I'm mad LOL....

I have a bunch more... she makes everyone look good in the photos LOL

By the way Phil (from the uk) shipped his 3" talon over for the launch and got 3 GREAT flights 2 on Cesaroni J335 Red lightnings and 1 on a 6XL classic J420 to almost 7000 feet.
Beautiful rocket. Does anyone have any photos of its flight on Friday -- the one where the LCO launched my dark blue G3 at the same time by mistake? The Talon was first off the pad but the G3 broke 9000 feet on a K160.

BTW... Phil and Andy were 2 really cool guys from England. Glad I got to meet them and hang out with them.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a number of folks who come to LDRS from various countries (UK, Germany, Sweden, Australia, and probably one or two I'm forgetting) and they've all been wonderfully enjoyable people to be around. I'm glad they can make it.

I'm always happy to see them come over, and hope to some day make it to a launch or two over in Europe.

-Kevin

Beautiful rocket. Does anyone have any photos of its flight on Friday -- the one where the LCO launched my dark blue G3 at the same time by mistake? The Talon was first off the pad but the G3 broke 9000 feet on a K160.

Yeah that surprised the HECk out of me when both rockets left the pad.. I was thinking "I hope he was watching or this is going to be bad" sorry we didn't get any pics of her... but we do have more pics of Kari LOL

DSC00818.jpg

Back