Layering - try 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj94

Reaction score
Ok, this is my second try, with a poll this time.:rolleyes: I've been thinking about my building techniques and I know that I usually layer my fillets with three thin to medium layers. I don't really know if this strength is unnecessary or not, so I'm posting this poll to see the average number of layers one usually puts on.

The amount of layers that I apply usually depends on, not only the rocket, but the type of epoxy used.
LPR= 1 layer (2 part clear)
MPR= 2 layers (2 part clear)
HPR= 3 or more layers, depending on what kind of epoxy is used. JB Weld, PC-7, and any of the thicker epoxies is what I normally use for my HPR. I then give them a final coat of finishing epoxy for better sanding.

Hmmmm....my garage has NEVER had a car in it!:rotflol: Always been computers or a bedroom..Now it is the computer room and rocket shop :)

On the poll: I usually put one fairly heavy fillet then a lighter one..On occasion I have gone up to 4 light fillet layers- but that has only been twice.

It depends. On a rocket constructed with wood glue, about 3 or 4 layers because it shrinks. But if the rocket is constructed with epoxy, usually about 1 or 2 layers if I am not happy with the first layer.

Generally 2, but it depends on the rocket and how happy I am with how the fins are set. My L1 had at least 4 -

Back