Launch site gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
Post a picture of your typical launch site(s). (This could be a local park you launch at or your club launch site)
My first one is this: Oregon rocketry club, Brothers Oregon launch sit, has a 25,000 ft. waiver, as much recovery room as you could want, and a clear sky most of the time. Here's a picture:
20220710_095428.jpg
Site #2: Tri cities rocketeers the "sod farm". An amazing launch site- acres and acres of perfectly mowed lawn. (and you thought mowing yours was impossible :) Here's a picture from the tri cities rocketeers website:
1692797963188.png

My launch site is a frozen lake from January-March with roughly 5000’ diameter area to launch and recover by snowmobile. Located in northern Ontario, Canada

Summer launches are limited to vacant sand pits, forest slashes and soccer fields. I rarely launch in the summer anymore.

E1109FBD-DC50-4744-B56B-FA0772980E39.jpeg
5851AD19-B255-47EC-BE2F-EEA95F7E881B.jpeg

Man, seeing photos of launch sites out west that are just endless expanses of tree-less flat land make me want to load up my car full of all my rockets and motors, and road trip out there and launch to my hearts content without worrying about recovery area and losing a rocket in a tree!
Amen! Where I'd like to launch is a 2 square mile plus former settling pond about 10 miles from home. Where I can launch are two small fields with about 800' maximum in one direction... I could launch with @Pinetree up in Grove City, but that's only selected weekends and is an hour away.

we live several hours away from our launch sites, so it is a trip when we go to one of the launches.

@Blast it Tom! It's a good 45 minutes away from me but well worth it.

Hopefully the corn will be down soon and I'll feel better about bringing my HPR stuff out.
Yes, I understand. That's certainly a big bird in your picture, and pretty good looking, too!

I guess I didn't fullfil the purpose of this thread, so here is one of the places I launch with my grandaughter launching a very LITTLE Birdie! There's about as much space behind us as in front of us, though it's a little longer north and south. I launched my first rocket in this field 50+ years ago, and in 1963 I was in the opening class (3rd grade) of that school in the background.

That's another thing about club launches - we really like our launch setup!

20230704_Birdie04cr.jpg

B6-4 Field.PNG
Good ol' B6-4 Field, Fort Thomas, KY. I've truly lost count of the number of rockets I've hung in these trees, these power lines, that roof, etc. It used to encompass the field to the north as well, but that went upscale and I have to recruit neighborhood kids to recover anything that drops on the high school softball field.

Our church in Walburg TX was founded by German immigrants in the late 1800s.

This property is owned by a member of our church but leased to another farmer down the road.

The maize has been harvested and the fields have been re-plowed so maybe my granddaughters and I can fly model rockets in Elaine's 'backyard'

Plenty of space for NFPA Model Rockets and no fire hazard now.

Much better than the elementary school -- just a few isolated trees and water tanks to contend with.

Fingers X'd that the leasee is OK with the idea, Elaine thought he would be ...

-- kjh

Elaine-cornfields-Screenshot_20230824_102533.png

EDIT: I spoke to Elaine today and they need to finish plowing the corn chaff under ( be done next week ) then we can have the field until dove hunters arrive on Oct 1st. Time to prep my old launch controller and my new 2020 rail !

Last edited:
Tripoli Phoenix's Eagle Eye site. Totally inhospitable, no porta potty, frequent alien abductions. But a 50k' waiver.
Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! Awesome picture by the way, the first one.

Post a picture of your typical launch site(s). (This could be a local park you launch at or your club launch site)
My first one is this: Oregon rocketry club, Brothers Oregon launch sit, has a 25,000 ft. waiver, as much recovery room as you could want, and a clear sky most of the time. Here's a picture:
View attachment 599557
Site #2: Tri cities rocketeers the "sod farm". An amazing launch site- acres and acres of perfectly mowed lawn. (and you thought mowing yours was impossible :) Here's a picture from the tri cities rocketeers website:
View attachment 599559

I guess I didn't fulfill the purpose of this thread, so here is one of the places I launch with my grandaughter launching a very LITTLE Birdie! There's about as much space behind us as in front of us, though it's a little longer north and south. I launched my first rocket in this field 50+ years ago, and in 1963 I was in the opening class (3rd grade) of that school in the background.

That's another thing about club launches - we really like our launch setup!

View attachment 599605
Replied to my own post to show you some overheads. Here is the field my granddaughter was launching in in the post I replied to. She was facing the school to the right. As you can see, not a lot of room. But 5 min. from home. I grew up just a few blocks from top of the picture.

Margaret_Ross_Site.jpg

Here's another site we've used with a little more room, but about 25 min away.
Cranberry_Site.jpg

Finally, somehow, if at all possible, I'd like to secure permission to launch here for everyone in Western PA, the WV Panhandle, and Eastern Ohio. It's a once-in-a lifetime opportunity.
First_Energy_Rocket_Park.jpg

Just a tad more room here - and environmental remediation means that for now, they want it TREE-FREE. It's also about 25 min from home.

Back