Northeast Launch Field with >10,000 ft. FAA Waiver

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemandivi

Reaction score
Years ago one of my local clubs had a waiver for I believe 12,000' from the FAA. I bought the Vertical Assault kit from Giant Leap rocketry knowing I had a field to launch it as I hoped to go about 10,000ft. and break the sound barrier. Between me building it, kids and life well the club lost the waiver and now only has a waiver to 4,500 ft. I'm looking for a launch site somewhere near the Northeast US that has a FAA waiver of over 10,000 ft. if possible. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thank you.

MDRA has the waiver, but the new limitations on Higgs will not allow you to fly that high for a normal launch and the Central Sod farm is not really flyable above 4000-5000 feet due to field size.

URRG (https://urrg.clubexpress.com/) has an 18,000 foot waiver and weather conditions there almost always allow flights above 10,000 feet. The field can easily handle a 10K flight. I flew to 12K at URRF last weekend.

The other option is Lake Winnipesaukee HPR. Several of us nut jobs hike out on the frozen lake after ice-in (usually in February). The waiver is 17,500'. The club doesn't have a website, but it does have a Facebook page.

I second URRG. My son and I flew to 10K and Mach 1.1 on a 2.25" fiberglass tube fin last weekend. With dual deploy we recovered on the field < 2000 feet from the launch pad. Later in the summer I've been told the crops can be higher in which case GPS would be necessary. We had it but we saw the rocket land.

Back