Launch Report

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
took my daughter and 3 rockets to the local school and had some great flights! first we launched the Gnome on an A3-4T. It arced into the air atop a small plume of smoke...coasted...then *pop* the ejection charge activated and down it came about 100' from the pad. not bad for a first flight in 30 years! We sent it up a second time and landed it about 30' from the launch pad!

close.jpg

next i sent the baby bertha up on a b6-4. it flew nicely, made some good noise and landed relatively close! next i loaded a c6-5 and sent it waaaaay up! another beautiful flight and it landed in the next field over.
smoke.jpg

runner.jpg

bertha.jpg

then another flight of the gnome, then i got brave and loaded a c6-5 into the Star Dart and watched it fly to about 2x the height the turkey vultures were soaring at...i kept track of it for awhile, but lost her for a bit...i was certain it would be on the ground by now...then my daughter said she saw it... i argued with her saying it COULDN'T be that high STILL...

it WAS!

it must have gotten caught in a thermal and hauled back up into the sky...we drove the half mile to collect it from the next school over.

that was strange!

once we got back we did one more launch of the Gnome and a last C6-5 in the baby bertha.

all launches were a roaring success!
we left after collecting our garbage and called it a day

8 flights
3 rockets

4 - A3-4T
1 - B6-4
3 - C6-5

next time i'll bring the video camera and another adult
:D

at this rate, it's gonna take ages to burn up all these motors!
:D :D :D
motors.jpg

Moved this to "Events" where it's more appropriate. GREAT pics there! :)

Cute little rocket retreiver you got there.
Isn't it nice to have energetic retreivers that don't even realize how much they're helping. They're just out having fun. I've got a few myself. Wouldn't launch without 'em. :)

Looks like you had a great day. Can't believe you recovered that Star Dart. That was some good luck. Oh, and to burn up that box of motors your going to need a bigger field. ;) :D

Tim

bigger field...
that's for sure!

Lauren was great, she barely complained and is excited about this coming weekend's launches! i might even take my wife so i can concentrate on photography.

i told Lauren when the star dart went up on the c6-5, "Well...that's the end of that one!"

sure glad i was wrong!

Elapid,

My rocket retrievers are only a little bigger than yours. When they were that size, and we lost a rocket, I always told them "it must have gotten stuck in the moon".

My girls took great pride in telling all their friends and teachers how they lost their rocket.:)

With all the rockets we've lost over the years I'm pretty sure Tranquility Base must look like a balsa forest by now!

Originally posted by Elapid

at this rate, it's gonna take ages to burn up all these motors!
:D :D :D
motors.jpg

i could take some off your hands for you:D

Back