[Launch Report] Nosferatu bares its fangs!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
Another sunrise launch today, with shifting winds.

First up was my Estes Zinger E2X on an A10-3T. Nice flight but the breeze had it drift far on it's 6" 'chute. (This will become a recurring theme.) This little rocket is perfect for wind testing the A10 gets it up there.

Estes Mini Max on a 1/2 A3-2T. Just a smooth little flyer and very reliable so far on it's little "trash bag" parachute.

Estes Super Alpha on a C6-3. This bird just cruises on up! Very stable with it's big fins. The 18" 'chute had it drift very far today. It just didn't want to come down even though it was not that high! Safe and soft landing in the park though.

The wind shifted so I moved my launch site a bit. I should have stayed put.:bangpan:

Last was my scratch-built Nosferatu on a C11-5! It's first flight had it screaming off the pad straight up and out of sight in the morning sky! Wow!:y: I saw the tracking smoke and finally the 12", spill-holed parachute. I instantly knew that it was not going to stay in the park boundaries. Even if I had stayed at my original launch position I think that it would have landed in the road, but instead it went over the road and onto some landscaping gravel in a drainage area. There it was, safe and sound except for some lightly chipped paint.

I will wait for a very calm day to fly the Nosferatu on a D engine. I'll probably reef the parachute also. I have created a monster... I mean, a great flier!:cool:

pics or it didn't happen!

BTW....you really wanna have some fun with your Super Alpha....build it with a 24mm motor mount!

that's purdy!

I've made that mod to my Big Bertha....Super Alpha X3 here we come!

pics or it didn't happen!

BTW....you really wanna have some fun with your Super Alpha....build it with a 24mm motor mount!

I usually fly by myself and if I am taking pictures then I am not focusing enough on the rockets to enjoy it. If I launch with someone then I might ask them to take the pictures.

I thought of putting a 24mm mount in my Super Alpha. It would give it more "Oomph!" but I like "low and slow" also. If I make another then it would most likely have the larger size. I am going to make a 24mm powered Big Bertha soon.:cool:

Back