Launch Rail.... Any reason this wouldn't work?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGInCanada

Reaction score
I am about to buy my first midpower rocket (Arreaux), and would like to fit it with rail buttons/guides. I see most members are building their launch pads using the 80/20 1010 rail section.

I have a Lee Valley Tools store just up the road, and they carry this stuff:

Veritas T-Slot tracks

Is there any reason it wouldn't work? I built my chop saw length stop with it, and it is pretty rigid stuff.

I am about to buy my first midpower rocket (Arreaux), and would like to fit it with rail buttons/guides. I see most members are building their launch pads using the 80/20 1010 rail section.

Veritas T-Slot tracks

Is there any reason it wouldn't work? I built my chop saw length stop with it, and it is pretty rigid stuff.

It might work, but for about the same price you can pick up the real thing on eBay...

Veritas T-Slot tracks

There are at least a dozen that make the standard 1" tee slot rail. 80/20 is jus one of them.

The one you showed is a thin single tee slot that is not really a rail, but simply a tee slot that is designed to be mounted in wood.

A conventional rail is a 1.0" or 1.5" 4 sided tee slot rail which is far stiffer than a simple u-style tee-slot rail.

Since the price difference is only a few dollars, I'd get the the real 4-sided tee-slot rail.

Bob

They don't appear to ship to Canada, and haven't responded to my inquiry as of yet...

There`s a place here in Winnipeg MB that sells 1010 rail in 8 foot lengths ,and pretty sure they can get it to you there.

if you need help ,give me a buzz on PM and we`ll see if we can`t help you out.

Take care

Paul T

Thanks guys,

I'll try the distributor in Mississauga, they are only 30 minutes away.

FWIW, McMaster-Carr sent me the following email:
McMaster-Carr said:
Thank you for your inquiry. Due to the complexity of U.S. Export
regulations, McMaster-Carr only accepts orders from our established
customers in Canada. We're sorry we can't help you.
Really?!!

Thanks guys,

I'll try the distributor in Mississauga, they are only 30 minutes away.

FWIW, McMaster-Carr sent me the following email:

McMaster-Carr
Thank you for your inquiry. Due to the complexity of U.S. Export
regulations, McMaster-Carr only accepts orders from our established
customers in Canada. We're sorry we can't help you.

Really?!!

I'm getting that alot over here too. Alot of US companies can't be bothered to ship to Canada, ship to new customers in Canada, or encourage customers to come knocking on their door in Canada (or internationally even). I really can't see any reason except that the paperwork has gotten so complex and anal about every micro-detail about a item that alot of companies just say "F*** it. Not worth our time!"

Last edited:
Must be all those Canadian terrorists...:no:

Yeah...WHAT-everrrr..... :p :D

That's most likely the reason alot of U.S. companies do not even bother shipping International anymore. To much hasel with the paperwork involved to prove that the item is not getting into terrorist hands.

In the U.S. now days if you apply for a job, open up a bank account, buy stock, etc. you have to prove by the information requested that you are not a terrorist. In otherwords everyone is a terrorist untill proven otherwise.

That's most likely the reason alot of U.S. companies do not even bother shipping International anymore. To much hasel with the paperwork involved to prove that the item is not getting into terrorist hands.

In the U.S. now days if you apply for a job, open up a bank account, buy stock, etc. you have to prove by the information requested that you are not a terrorist. In otherwords everyone is a terrorist untill proven otherwise.

Isn't paranoia a wonderful thing?

That T-slot looks like the material we use at work to make guides to direct material around corners. It is very stiff along the long dimension but easily bends on the short, you can make a 90 degree bend with a 4" length, so it might whip as a launch rail

Isn't paranoia a wonderful thing?

It's great! It cost me a sweet Space Shuttle fridge magnet. I didn't know "snow globe" type items were not allowed on airplanes, and had to turn it over to TSA on my return trip from DC.

that does suck. which is why i check bag everything.. really gets them in a tizzy when i check my guns and ammo for a hunting trip. (which is still legal but has lots of rules)...

Back