Laser Engraving on Glasses

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently started playing with laser engraving on drinking glasses and bottles. I have been engraving logos and even photos. I'm thinking about adding a spot on our Rocketry site to purchase them if there is enough interest.

Attachments

• PXL_20240107_143837606.jpg
    PXL_20240107_143837606.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240116_231203932.jpg
    PXL_20240116_231203932.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240109_004043761.jpg
    PXL_20240109_004043761.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240113_135527864.jpg
    PXL_20240113_135527864.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240115_015359870.jpg
    PXL_20240115_015359870.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
These are really cool. I make maple syrup and the thought of laser engraving my logo on the bottles has been tempting, but I think that would take way more time than sticking labels on (cost in the long run of labels may be more though).

The quality you're getting is really good! I did a little bit of glass engraving and overall didn't find it to be worth it in my situation, but it looks like you have your process dialed in very well.

Good job!

These are really cool. I make maple syrup and the thought of laser engraving my logo on the bottles has been tempting, but I think that would take way more time than sticking labels on (cost in the long run of labels may be more though).
Yeah you're right about that. Engraving times run an hour or better for me at the moment.

I am using a Sculpfun diode laser. I built an enclosure and ventilation system for it.
You have a rotary axis for that to do glasses and bottles? I've done a few glasses (Christmas present this year) and I etched a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve bourbon as a gift for a couple in my rocket club. I've been using the RA to cut airframe tubing to length and to cut fin slots. I'm building a new club launch controller, so in coming weeks, I will be using the laser to produce PCBs too.

You have a rotary axis for that to do glasses and bottles? I've done a few glasses (Christmas present this year) and I etched a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve bourbon as a gift for a couple in my rocket club. I've been using the RA to cut airframe tubing to length and to cut fin slots. I'm building a new club launch controller, so in coming weeks, I will be using the laser to produce PCBs too.
Yes I bought a rotary primarily for cutting airframe but have been using it for engraving as well.

I’ve been thinking about a rotary accessory as well. Which rotary accessory are you using with your SculptFun laser? Regarding cuts for tube slots, any issues with precision due to the light weight of the material?

I’ve been thinking about a rotary accessory as well. Which rotary accessory are you using with your SculptFun laser? Regarding cuts for tube slots, any issues with precision due to the light weight of the material?
I'm using a Dewallie rotary roller. It can handle long work pieces that hang off both ends and a 50 kg load. I haven't had any problems with precision with airframe cutting. Feed and speed is the key. Too fast and the work piece slips on the roller.

The Dewallie rotary accessory seems to be one of the few (if not the only one) that can handle objects that extend beyond the ends of the rollers.

Does the laser only cut the closest side of the tube? I assume the beam is defocussed enough after exiting the closest side of the tube that it won’t keep cutting through the opposite side. Otherwise you’d need a steel mandrel or something similar.

Also, alignment of the rotary accessory needs to be exactly parallel with the X axis of the laser. How do you do that?

Thanks!

The Dewallie rotary accessory seems to be one of the few (if not the only one) that can handle objects that extend beyond the ends of the rollers.

Does the laser only cut the closest side of the tube? I assume the beam is defocussed enough after exiting the closest side of the tube that it won’t keep cutting through the opposite side. Otherwise you’d need a steel mandrel or something similar.

Also, alignment of the rotary accessory needs to be exactly parallel with the X axis of the laser. How do you do that?

Thanks!
If your power and speed settings are correct the laser won't burn through the back side. If the feed is too slow it will burn the back side. I use a square to get the roller parallel with the x axes. I run it down from the x axes and across the roller. To test accuracy you can always run a line straight down your work piece, draw a straight line on your laser program along x, and run it at 1% power. Watch the laser track and see if it deviates from the line.

What wavelength is your diode laser? I thought most glass would be transparent to common diode wavelengths. I thought you meeded a CO2 laser at over 10um wavelenght to cut or engrave glass.

I may or may not work at a place that makes high powered diode lasers....

What wavelength is your diode laser? I thought most glass would be transparent to common diode wavelengths. I thought you meeded a CO2 laser at over 10um wavelenght to cut or engrave glass.

I may or may not work at a place that makes high powered diode lasers....
It is 445nm, and you are correct that it is transparent to the diode wavelengths. The glass has to be coated prior to engraving for it to work. The coating is then removed after the engraving is completed.

Back