Laser cut parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketManDan

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade a couple kits I have and I need some parts laser cut.

Who would do this work? I'm thinking about replacing the balsa wings and parts with lite ply 1/8" I don't see that it would add much weight. Also upgrading the center rings with lite ply.

Yes I was considering BMS. I was considering getting some rings made to for a few other kits. On the wings I still need to fill out that excel spreadsheet right? Does Bill work off Rocksim??

Is that anyone that does custom work in G10?

All the best, James

I notice BMS is no longer doing custom laser cutting.....

Anyone have a suggestion for an alternate? Need to cut some 1/8 Carbon Fiber sheet................

I notice BMS is no longer doing custom laser cutting.....

Anyone have a suggestion for an alternate? Need to cut some 1/8 Carbon Fiber sheet................

Carbon fiber sheets can't be easily cut with lasers. The fiber it self has a very high melting point, but the glass temperature of the epoxy matrix is much lower. If you throw enough power on it to cut the carbon fiber (i.e. much more than your average laser cutter), you likely damage the epoxy matrix far beyond your intended cutting area. I guess it could be done with very short and intense pulses that "instantly" ablate a small spot before much heat can be conducted into the surrounding material - but I'm only speculating here, based on something I believe to have read on dental lasers.

If you want to cut carbon fiber sheets, water jet cutting is a standard method. CNC milling works too, but it can be messy.

Reinhard

Last edited:
Back