Large Spaceship Friede, mine and an even larger build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanDunbar

Reaction score
This last Saturday at our last SSS regional, I saw something that really blew my mind away.

One of the contestants, Richard McKee, brought a large, 5 inch or so
diameter Spaceship Friede from the movie, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_in_the_Moon

I have attempted to fly something smaller and less spectacular and it has
failed 3 times so far. Moe Bertrand, SSS section advisor, captured this
fantastic photo of my BT-80 sized Friede as it impacted the desert floor of
Rainbow Valley last year:
sorry I searched and search and couldn't find it ... but it is spectacular!

Here is a 1st attempt photo taken in 2008 (just shows the wiring for the 7 motor first stage unit):

657vnp.jpg

Well, the point of this posting is Richard's Friede (sorry for the blue tint ... dump iphone camera):

263c2vl.jpg

And a couple up close and personal:

6jd8a8.jpg

and

vnh4qo.jpg

I don't have any flight photos; I will contact Moe and see if I can get a couple ... but i will say this, it was AWESOME! 9 motors in the first stage, then staging to 4 D12's in the upper! Boost was perfect, staging failed as has been the case with past attempts to simulate internal stagging (only 2 of 4 D12's lit). The model re-kited itself on the Rainbow Valley floor, but Richard is already working on the rebuild! :)

If you want to contact Richard for more info, please see the officer's link off the SSS website (sssrocketry.org).

Very gutsy build IMHO.

Jonathan

This is a classic film and is available on DVD at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00064AEXI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

With the advent of the low-current Q2G2 igniters we may see ambitious projects like this move away from conventional BP-to-BP staging and using electronic ignition for upper stages. Certainly the crop of miniature deployment electronics would ease the pain of re-kitting.

Anyway, awesome project and I look forward to pictures of successful flight(s)!

Was he planning "pop out" fins for the second stage?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a classic film and is available on DVD at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00064AEXI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

With the advent of the low-current Q2G2 igniters we may see ambitious projects like this move away from conventional BP-to-BP staging and using electronic ignition for upper stages. Certainly the crop of miniature deployment electronics would ease the pain of re-kitting.

Anyway, awesome project and I look forward to pictures of successful flight(s)!

Was he planning "pop out" fins for the second stage?

Will,

Both Friedes' wre designed to stage just the 'real' ship from the movies.

Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread really needs to be split. I will post pictures provided my Moe Betrand here for the larger Friede, and then start a thread for my smaller Friede.

I will also ask that Richard McKee come on here and take your questions about HIS rocket.

My forth and final attempt at a Friede built around a BT-80 is still under development. Only the nose cone is surviving ... Sandman nose cone, built tough!

OK here are the pictures of Richard McKee's Friede from lift-off through staging. Impact wasn't captured ... a good thing.

Here is Richard next to his creation ( T-Minus 5 min and counting... ):

2gspber.jpg

Lift-off as The Spaceship Friede takes to the the skies:

9zm3aq.jpg

Everything looking good. All 9 motors are buring, and telemetry is looking good:

acsopt.jpg

Going for staging ... uh oh ...

iohto4.jpg

Jonathan

Very very cool project, and fantastic photos. Too bad it was destroyed.
The Friede is one of my all time favorite rockets and I have built three versions: a 1/144th scale paper model from Currell.net, a 250% upscale paper version and a 4" diameter version with a 38mm MM, built from mailing tube with basswood fins, the bloody thing weighs a ton.
But I have never even considered such an ambitious project Richard's.
Bravo!
:clap:

Keep the pictures and info coming.
Cheers to a successful staged flight!
:cheers:

Jonathan
My Friede was a 5.5 in body tube, I built it out of cardboard that was supplied to me by my wife. The build took about 2 months mainly because Everything had to be cut by hand. the build pictures are on my facebook page goto Richard Mckee it is in the concept rocket pictures. I have rebuilt most of it now. I plan on flying it again at the GHS launch in October at rainbow valley OK so the bottom stage had 4 C6-0 4 C6-5 in the outer pods and a C6-3 in the center. All 9 lit the top had 4 E9-4 and only 1 lit, I found this out when I got the remains home and took it apart. The main problem was the gap between the upper and lower stages, I have adjusted this along with adding relief holes by each upper motor and hiding itin the fin cavity
This last Saturday at our last SSS regional, I saw something that really blew my mind away.

One of the contestants, Richard McKee, brought a large, 5 inch or so
diameter Spaceship Friede from the movie, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_in_the_Moon

I have attempted to fly something smaller and less spectacular and it has
failed 3 times so far. Moe Bertrand, SSS section advisor, captured this
fantastic photo of my BT-80 sized Friede as it impacted the desert floor of
Rainbow Valley last year:
sorry I searched and search and couldn't find it ... but it is spectacular!

Here is a 1st attempt photo taken in 2008 (just shows the wiring for the 7 motor first stage unit):

657vnp.jpg

Well, the point of this posting is Richard's Friede (sorry for the blue tint ... dump iphone camera):

263c2vl.jpg

And a couple up close and personal:

6jd8a8.jpg

and

vnh4qo.jpg

I don't have any flight photos; I will contact Moe and see if I can get a couple ... but i will say this, it was AWESOME! 9 motors in the first stage, then staging to 4 D12's in the upper! Boost was perfect, staging failed as has been the case with past attempts to simulate internal stagging (only 2 of 4 D12's lit). The model re-kited itself on the Rainbow Valley floor, but Richard is already working on the rebuild! :)

If you want to contact Richard for more info, please see the officer's link off the SSS website (sssrocketry.org).

Very gutsy build IMHO.

Jonathan

Back