Landing This Plane... The Aviation Thread...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sailplane ride last year
WaI6CTP.jpg

vhin0cH.jpg

HHnQc8G.jpg

Why does that sail plane have a parachute? Is he in trouble?

No trouble, normal landing for some of the older sailplanes.

The chute ruins the efficiency of the glider to the point that a predictable landing can be made. Without the chute it is actually difficult to get it on the ground. The newer birds have wing spoilers that do the same job.

Last edited:
I built a 10 foot wing span Paragon R/C sailplane and installed Graupner spoilers and had full span ailerons. It originally a polyhedral wing but
I built it with a straight wing with some central dihedral. I had a mechanical mixer on the ailerons I could droop for flaps. I laminated all the spars top and bottom with .007" carbon fiber for strength and re-notched the ribs.
On approach, I could be high, pop the spoilers, droop the ailerons as flaps and that thing would make a slow-motion, very stable steep descent. It was so cool to witness. If I had no "lift busters", the thing would have picked up speed and taken forever to flare and land. I would have run out of field by then.
I think as mentioned, the parachute adds drag to increase the descent angle without a higher speed gain in ships without spoilers and or flaps. I believe there is a protocol for the parachutes use and the pilot needs to stay above the stall speed. Never flew in a full size sailplane so I'm educated guessing that. Sold all my R/C stuff off when I lost a place to fly years later. Kurt

A glider ride is on my bucket list. I'd love to fly in as many different types of aircraft as I can. I have been told the silence of soaring without an engine is a wonderful experience.

View attachment 627668
Someone is having a bad day...

I don't think *THAT* parachute is going to spoil the landing today...

Actually, they were having a pretty GOOD day, it just had a funny ending...

This F-4's call sign was "Showtime 100". The guy riding the seat is Willie Driscoll, he was the RIO in Showtime 100. About to take the same ride is Lt. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, pilot of the Phantom. Together they had just splashed their third Mig on that particular mission, reputed to be a Col. Toon, one of N. Vietnam's best. This made a total of five air to air kills for the pair, making them the Navy's only aces of the Vietnam war.

Shortly after their third victory of the day they were hit by a SAM. With some difficulty Duke was able to wrestle the damaged bird back out to the South China Sea where they ejected safely and were recovered.

It is quite a story and worth reading! there are also some very good CGI-type videos depicting the dogfight in it's entirety.

Incredible painting, by the way. Any idea who did it?

Back