Laminating Epoxy that doesn't yellow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Contemplating doing a colored fiberglass sock wrap on my newest project using this stuff: https://www.sollercomposites.com/Fi...gPOwI1I-JPfS6OkMIcAe5qJoNPS_DAKZN8FPnzInD-1d4 and then not painting the tube with anything other than Eastwood 2K urethane gloss clear.

I have a stock of West epoxy, but I'm worried about yellowing long term.

Does anyone know IF West will yellow?

Failing that, does anyone know which epoxies WILL and which WON'T yellow over time?

Most laminating epoxies require a UV protective coat to prevent yellowing afaik. Its really common in the wood boat building world to either paint (color) or use a UV resistant clearcoat.

MGS.

Properties are far better than West for applications other than wooden boat building. West has a very low Tg so it can move with the wood. That means parts which warp on a hot day when exposed to sunlight. West is also very viscous so it will not run badly when a layup is on a vertical surface. But that same property makes it poor for fabric wetout, and very poor for fabric drydown to get the correct fiber to resin ratio for optimal mechanical properties of the cured FRP.

Gerald

I don't see anything in the documentation that specifies UV stability or non-yellowing for the MGS line.

I've been using West to do laminate lay up for several different projects, and never once had an issue with heat causing any greater susceptibility to bending or warping.

The objective is to use a colored woven fiberglass sleeve and coating without the need to use anything other than an automotive grade urethane gloss clear. If the cured resin will yellow below the gloss, the effect is ruined.

I have a tube rotisserie rigged up, so sagging, etc isn't really an issue.

https://www.sollercomposites.com/FiberglassSleeves.html

OK, got a definitive answer on MGS: it has no UV inhibiting properties at all. I will investigate Raka and Resin Research 2000 today.

I have built 2 kits using the fiberglass sock and West Systems 105/206, and have not experienced any yellowing. The oldest kit is about 5 years old now.

Back