Lakeroadster's "Hammerhead Shark"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are getting less lift from your nose than you think because it is a somewhat rounded profile. A similar thing happens when the cylindrical airframe is not a zero angle of attack in that there is very little actual "lift" from the tube and almost all the moments are caused by the NC or base/boattail where there is a change in diameter.

I think you are getting less lift from your nose than you think because it is a somewhat rounded profile. A similar thing happens when the cylindrical airframe is not a zero angle of attack in that there is very little actual "lift" from the tube and almost all the moments are caused by the NC or base/boattail where there is a change in diameter.
You don't want any lift.. that's why it has the same profile on the top and bottom. Lift would make for an unstable design, as a rocket.

Last edited:
I don't want any lift.. that's why it has the same profile on the top and bottom. Lift would make for an unstable design, as a rocket.
With non-zero AoA you will always get lift, it is just a matter of how much. Lift generated by the aft fins is what gets your normal rockets stable. Remember that the lift I mention only happens when your are not at zero angle of attack. If the rocket is flying "dead straight" there will be no lift.

If your front hammerhead were cylindrical there would be no change in lift with change in AoA of the rocket.

Remember that lift at the front will subtract from lift at the rear in the eyes of stability.

When you launch and there is any wind, I would place the forward mounted wings, oops I mean fins, parallel with the wind. At least starting off you will minimize any sinful lift from the winged, I mean finned, Hammerhead nose cone. Eyeball to the wind I say! Then everyone who hasn't given you a funny look will.

Now, now now Joe. Don't be rude. Daddyisabar has proven his theory, time and time again, by not just talking the talk... but by walking the walk.

But our wizard is a guy named Vern, he wrote the book on checking stability, literally. And therein lies the reasoning behind a swing test. It's not simulated data... it's real data. And adding weird fins isn't beyond the scope or limitation of the string.

Will it go 'round it circles? Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky?

View attachment 510924View attachment 510926
Who's "first rule of aerodynamics" is that with a big enough motor, anything can fly? I guess the second rule is that with enough mind altering practices and intoxicants anything is stable.

That's another point in favor of RS, and therefore another feature that OR must add.
Re: the first rule: look no further than the F-4 Phantom II, “The Triumph of Thrust over Aerodynamics” a.k.a. “The Flying Anvil”, “Rhino”, “The Lead Sled”, et al.

That's another point in favor of RS, and therefore another feature that OR must should add.
Fixed.
Yes. I should have written "must add if they wish to catch up/keep up." Which is the same thing as "should add". Despite its various cons, "free" is a great big pro and is not the only pro, either. As I've stated before, if I were starting over today I wouldn't pay for RS. Sure am glad I have it though.

Now, now now Joe. Don't be rude. Daddyisabar has proven his theory, time and time again, by not just talking the talk... but by walking the walk.
Indeed. That doesn't mean I can't kid about the silly talk he occasionally talks. If booze and campfires and dope and weird music make your oddrocs fly straight, more power to them (pun intentional or not, however you like it.)
But our wizard is a guy named Vern...
Hmm, didn't know that one. (That book, that is.) Our sorcerer supreme, as far as I've always known, was a guy named Harry.

Yes. I should have written "must add if they wish to catch up/keep up." Which is the same thing as "should add".
There is no requirement for OR to "catch up/keep up" by maintaining full feature parity with Rocksim. There are plenty of features Rocksim has that OR lacks, some more important than others; it has been that way for a long time and may well be that way forever. Despite that feature gap, OR is widely used and in no danger of being abandoned by most users.

Obviously there are things OR must do to stay relevant and useful in the short and long term. This feature is probably not one of them, although I'd personally like to see it, and will submit it as a feature request.

That's another point in favor of RS, and therefore another feature that OR must add.
File a PR!

Thinking about it, since OR actually calculates CP in all roll angles, it wouldn't be too hard to add. One thing I wouldn't want is to just display the CP in a given orientation; it would be too easy for a rocketeer, out of either ignorance or malice, to show an RSO an OR design carefully oriented to look stable and have the RSO not have any better response than "it don't look stable to me and I say no". Maybe if the rocket stats in the upper right hand corner showed a CP range for a rocket that was asymmetric enough to matter? And then have the CP icon in the figure move as you changed the roll angle? Hmmm....

There is no requirement for OR to "catch up/keep up" by maintaining full feature parity with Rocksim. There are plenty of features Rocksim has that OR lacks, some more important than others; it has been that way for a long time and may well be that way forever. Despite that feature gap, OR is widely used and in no danger of being abandoned by most users.
It seems I touched a nerve. My apologies. When I wrote "if they wish to catch up/keep up", the "if" is key. Of course there's not a requirement. The "if" is what turns "must", which I was incorrect in writing earlier, into "should". And I certainly never wrote, or meant, anything about users abandoning the product.

It seems I touched a nerve. My apologies. When I wrote "if they wish to catch up/keep up", the "if" is key. Of course there's not a requirement. The "if" is what turns "must", which I was incorrect in writing earlier, into "should". And I certainly never wrote, or meant, anything about users abandoning the product.
I'm merely saying that there is no directive to "catch up/keep up". Each potential feature is evaluated on its own.

Sorry for the thread derailment. Moving on.

This is an exhibition, not a competition... but if it were a competition... I declare you the winner!

Thanks for posting the links.... awesome birds, every one. I never knew that you too are Odd Roc Scum? :dontknow:

This is an exhibition, not a competition... but if it were a competition... I declare you the winner!
never a competition, just an opportunity to share ideas and techniques and experiences, and hopefully spur each other on to safe, fun, new, and successful creations!

you yourself have certainly raised the BAR (sorry, couldn’t resist) in a lot of areas, the most obvious is your incredibly detailed designs, but also in creativity, imagination, and craftsmanship. It’s fun just being on the same forum with you!

you yourself have certainly raised the BAR (sorry, couldn’t resist) in a lot of areas, the most obvious is your incredibly detailed designs, but also in creativity, imagination, and craftsmanship. It’s fun just being on the same forum with you!
Geez, man, get a room! ;)

never a competition, just an opportunity to share ideas and techniques and experiences, and hopefully spur each other on to safe, fun, new, and successful creations!

Ditto.

Recovery

Getting the Hammerhead ready for launch.

I prepped the streamer, which doubles as wadding. At ejection the streamer unfurls and falls to the ground separate from the rocket. This helps in tracking the rocket. Having used this technique in the past and have found that watching the streamer fall to earth is about as fun as watching the rocket.

I took a couple photos and created a "How To" in regard to the steps to ensure a tight fit into the body tube.

001.JPG002.JPG

Last edited:
Have you made an extensive study of the coin weight needed to bring the streamer down nearest the rocket? I mean, the bigger the body tube the longer the streamer. So you'd need to determine the rockets descent rate based on its weight and parachute, then weight the streamer to match it. I realize that nickels are expensive, but that just might be worth it in extreme cases.

OK, seriously, why drop it independently? Why not attach it to the shock cord on top of the parachute?

Have you made an extensive study of the coin weight needed to bring the streamer down nearest the rocket? I mean, the bigger the body tube the longer the streamer. So you'd need to determine the rockets descent rate based on its weight and parachute, then weight the streamer to match it. I realize that nickels are expensive, but that just might be worth it in extreme cases.

Don't "nickle and dime" me with your mathematical prowess... :angiefavorite: :p

OK, seriously, why drop it independently? Why not attach it to the shock cord on top of the parachute?

It's cool watching the streamer slowly flutter down to earth all by itself in a long vertical line. I'll try to get a photo. Might be hard to do though, just me and the wife at the launch site.

I initially started with 9 feet of crepe paper streamer... I had to start over, it wasn't long enough. A 4.67 gram penny and a 12 foot streamer = slooooow decent.

Attached to the chute it might foul deployment. It still might, even unattached. But we used this technique quite a bit and never had that happen.

Last edited:
A 4.67 gram penny and a 12 foot streamer = slooooow decent.​
I'll take that to mean "A penny and..." but FYI a penny weighs 2.5 grams. Prior to September, 1882 they weighted 3.11 grams, but most of those have enough wear by now to weigh closer to 3 even.

Since you've been successful with 2.5 gram pennies, you obviously can leave well enough alone (and don't need me to tell you that). But if you want 4.67 grams, go with a nickel (5 grams even) or a better yet penny plus a dime (2.500 + 2.268 grams). Do I get credit in the nerd pride thread for this?

As a handy mental reference for small gram weights, I like to think of how many nickels they would be.

Back