Lakeroadster's Cygnus Probe Ship

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Looks like it's back to the drawing board for revision 03 :computer:

Probe Ship | Disney Wiki | Fandom

"The Probe Ship is a small scout vessel that appeared in the 1979 film The Black Hole."

View attachment 501231

Here's the changes, based on the Disney Model. The "nose cone" and upper rings have been changed.

As you can clearly see in the comparison below, the lower conical section on my version is shorter than the Disney model, and is similar to the Estes art from their catalog. I took a look at stretching that section, but I just didn't like the looks of it.

IMO, Estes did it better. Kind of a Mars Lander meets Cygnus Probe. I'll follow the lead of Estes.

Rev 02 is a go for the build!

Cygnus Probe Ship JPS vs Disney.JPG Cygnus Probe Ship Revisions.jpg

Inventor Studio Session Cygnus Probe Ship 001.JPG

Last edited:
The Build Begins

Cutting the pine boards into rings in preparation for lathe turning. These will be used as raw material to lathe turn the various pieces parts for my version of a Cygnus Probe. I anticipate I may need to use plywood for some of these in order for them to be strong enough to not split during the turning. We'll see.

They look beefy... but most of this will end up as sawdust on the floor.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG
004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG
007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

Last edited:
Turning Parts On The Wood Lathe - Day 02

I decided to try using some cabinet grade plywood as the raw materials for the components. Using the 3/4" pine just wasn't durable enough and it tends to split along the grain line.

It worked out really well. It was also really easy to cut on the lathe.

001.JPG 001A.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG
004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG
008.JPG

Last edited:
Just a word of caution on your drag cone -- I would have expected it to be the diameter of your flat aft plate, not the largest portion above the transition.

Thanks. I updated the simulation and the stability numbers are good in that configuration also.

This design has a plethora of diameters to choose from :dontknow:.

Better to be conservative, I wouldn't want the Cygnus Probe Ship to get sucked into a "Black Hole". :cool:

1645544947457.png

Last edited:
Swing Test

This is the first rocket where I have used the The Rocksim/Openrocket Base Drag Trick in Open Rocket (see post #41). So for me with this specific rocket design the swing test will not only check stability of the rocket, but it also will pre-validate the Open Rocket results. Of course the real validation will be on launch day.

Swing Test #1: No Ballast = Unstable Flight

Per Open Rocket this should yield a stability caliber of 0.859 (negative 0.275 w/o base drag hack). Swing test showed this configuration to be unstable.​

Swing Test #2: 0.6 Ounces of Ballast = Marginally Stable Flight

Per Open Rocket this should yield a stability caliber of 0.954 (negative 0.18 w/o base drag hack). Swing test showed this configuration to be marginally stable.​

Swing Test #3: 2.1 Ounces of Ballast = Stable Flight

Per Open Rocket this should yield a stability caliber of 1.14 (0.01 w/o base drag hack). Swing test showed this configuration to be stable.​
So based on the swing test, the base drag hack in Open Rocket seems to be accurate & the Cygnus Probe Ship appears to be stable in this configuration.

I still however need to add the slinky to the upper mast, and the outriggers to the barrel section, at which point I'll do another swing test.

When I do a swing test:
Stable: No dancing on the end of the string when the rocket is being spun "at speed", meaning once I get it's velocity at a steady constant rate. Nose in the wind, no pitching.
Marginally Stable: Some minor pitching. Lets say +/- 10 degrees
Unstable: Severe pitching and / or tumbling

Last edited:
Drawings and a Rendering (Revised 01-25-2022)
Somebody can maybe help me out here, my health is a mess and I'm tired and hurting having just arrived home from the laundromat and I can't for the life of me figure out whether those drawings and renderings are engineering or art, my brain just simply is not going to do that.

Outrigger Diagonal Braces

The outriggers were not nearly as durable as they needed to be. I looked at some of the movie stills from The Black Hole movie. The ship had diagonal braces, it looks like cables. So I decided to add some 1/8" dia. braces.

The outriggers are hell-for-stout now. Maybe even up to a 19 ft/sec ground hit?

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG Cygnus Probe Ship From The Black Hole Movie 005.jpg

Back