L1 with Aura or HyperLOC 160?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was younger, I used a max of D motors and thought those were big. When I got back into rocketry, my first kit was an Aura and I decided to try out a G80 I saw in a local hobby store. That rocket transported itself somewhere between the infield of the baseball diamond I was launching from and Saturn. I never saw it again.

Yes, you can do your L1 on a small kit like that but its not something I'd recommend. I did my L1 about 5 years later on a PML AMRAAM 4" on an AT I435T with dual deploy.
I also used a G80 on my Aerotech initiator and never seen it again lol.

Me too... I'm not generally a fan of stubbies, but the Onyx has a good look! Here's my little piggy, paint job stolen from a Porsche race car. It never even occurred to me to use it for my cert flight, that would've been pretty cool (If I got it back alive!)...
View attachment 421138
Nice Onyx! An H would teleport that rocket 😄
But you’re right, that shape is aesthetically appealing.

It was. I did it with a CTI H410 VMaxx back in the day when you could do that sort of nonsense. The motor was spent before it left the rail and coasted up to somewhere around 3K. It was an explosion. Someone commented that it was the fasted L1 cert they'd ever seen. Made me proud.

You hit the nail on the head with your comments about the Aura. I like being able to take as little as possible with me to a launch and a small rocket on the seat is a special kind of cool. Being able to get huge performance out of a small rocket is an under explored niche of the hobby.

I run a RDF tracker in everything I fly so I am not concerned with recovery. I plan on building another "Park" flyer this year and sticking it up on an I200 but we have the room for that kind of silliness out in the desert. Still need a tracker but you don't have to worry about crossing fences and streams and plowing through thick growth to recover. It's just a walk....sometimes a LONG walk but who doesn't enjoy a good hike? That's where I find the most joy because I can combine three of my favorite things, hiking, rockets and tracking.

This was the Aura BTW, the small additional bay was for the tracker and read only altimeter.

An I200 in a Park Flyer... yes... {insert maniacal laughter and lots of giddy bounces}

P.S. Love the color scheme!

Last edited:
math, one last bit of advice. Build an Aura. Just do it for no other reason than you like the way it looks. If you feel like trying it on an H one day, give it a shot. If you decide after doing the Aura you'd be better off with something larger, then you will have made the decision based on your personal experiences and not some random guy on the internet. Start YOUR journey and discover the crap you like. This is the single best hobby I can think of because of the many different paths you can explore. There really is something for everyone. Don't try to do it all in one day and enjoy the ride.
Thanks, and I will!

Me too... I'm not generally a fan of stubbies, but the Onyx has a good look! Here's my little piggy, paint job stolen from a Porsche race car. It never even occurred to me to use it for my cert flight, that would've been pretty cool (If I got it back alive!)...
View attachment 421138
I wish I could paint my rockets like that...Very nice

Back