Best average time delay for a LOC 5.5 Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Heska

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I just finished building a LOC 5.5 Goblin. I'm Going to use an Aerotech 38/720 case with I284W for my L1 attempt, and J350W for my L2 attempt. My computer won't run "Roc Sim" so I need a little advice from you guys. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Hi Guys, I just finished building a LOC 5.5 Goblin. I'm Going to use an Aerotech 38/720 case with I284W for my L1 attempt, and J350W for my L2 attempt. My computer won't run "Roc Sim" so I need a little advice from you guys. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.
Try Open Rocket then, its free. The delay will depend on how you built it and how heavy it is.

Delay depends on how heavy or light you built the rocket. My buddy just flew this rocket for his level 1 two weeks ago on an H219 with a 6 second delay. His rocket weighted 101oz packed with recovery gear but no motor. I did the SIM for him and still have it.

I added the I284 for this rocket in Open Rocket and it is recommending 7.26 seconds for the delay. Again, this is based on HIS rocket at 101oz. Yours will be different.

If I may ask, why are you using an "I" motor for a level 1 cert flight? That is a lot of altitude. If you have the space for recovery then go for it but personally I'd try to keep it low for less chance of losing the rocket. My buddies rocket flew to a 612ft as verified with the altimeter and recovered about 300ft from the pad.

Use the simple online simulation tool on ThrustCurve:
https://www.thrustcurve.org/motors/guide.html

I downloaded the Rocksim file on the LOC 5.5 Goblin site and ran it with an I284 and the delay should be about 9.6 sec to ~2.300'.

The Mass listed with motor loaded was 3256g with CG at 38in from the nose and included a 50in chute. As others above noted, the delay changes depending on your build, so YMMV. Good luck on your L1 cert!

For L2, you should really determine the info out on your own and also see how the rocket fares after L1. Learn to walk before you run. ;) Good luck!

Delay depends on how heavy or light you built the rocket. My buddy just flew this rocket for his level 1 two weeks ago on an H219 with a 6 second delay. His rocket weighted 101oz packed with recovery gear but no motor. I did the SIM for him and still have it.

I added the I284 for this rocket in Open Rocket and it is recommending 7.26 seconds for the delay. Again, this is based on HIS rocket at 101oz. Yours will be different.

If I may ask, why are you using an "I" motor for a level 1 cert flight? That is a lot of altitude. If you have the space for recovery then go for it but personally I'd try to keep it low for less chance of losing the rocket. My buddies rocket flew to a 612ft as verified with the altimeter and recovered about 300ft from the pad.
I will be flying at the S.M.A.S.H. - MMAR field in Muskegon, MI. Lots of room there. The I284W was a recommended motor for my 5.5 Goblin L-1 attempt. I have a GPS tracker that will be on board also. I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

I will be flying at the S.M.A.S.H. - MMAR field in Muskegon, MI. Lots of room there. The I284W was a recommended motor for my 5.5 Goblin L-1 attempt. I have a GPS tracker that will be on board also. I appreciate all your help. Thank you.
Take pics! :)

Also I think that's a great choice for an L1 rocket. (Edit: and L2 as well!)

Last edited:
For the record, I've sent a 4" Loc Goblin on an H-550 (several times). It normally responds well to about 9-11 seconds for deployment. 11 is a little long, 9 is too short. Delays are similar on a baby I (I-140).

I would suggest reviews of your weights for your 5.5 Goblin if you plan to use similar delays for a rocket that isn't flying even a full H. I'd be surprised if a baby H (depending on the type of baby) will need more than 7 secs, but how it's built is very important. Sims are in order.

Back