K'Tesh's OpenRocket Files Feedback Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the Black Brant II roll patterns and the difficulty of masking...

I've been working on using iron-on model airplane covering on rockets. The first one I did, I did with a multicolored roll pattern on the BT similar to the BBII. It came out very, very well. Razor-sharp edges and corners, because they were cut with a razor blade. I'm still tuning up my techniques, but would probably go that way for a BBII or anything similar.

Just to update, I'm moving away from model airplane covering after finding it doesn't deal with the ejection charge temperatures well. Might still use it on fins of bigger models that I want to come out lightweight.

-------------

@K'Tesh,
Have you considered doing the original Astron Sprint with the roll pattern color scheme? It's kind of a forebear to the current Alpha III roll pattern, except the patterns are reversed top to bottom.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/kteshs-openrocket-files.123564/page-3#post-1459443
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-49.pdf
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-astron-sprint-k-49-or-1249-gallery.19526/

I just went through all 21 pages. Jim, you are so gifted. I just wish you lived next door to me. Thanks for all your work on these files.

I just went through all 21 pages. Jim, you are so gifted. I just wish you lived next door to me. Thanks for all your work on these files.
Thanks!

Who knows... If you lived in Haaula some time between 1972 and 1974, or over in base housing in Kaneohe (74-75), we might have.

Blue Sapphire: I bought two and built one (which has been flown once so far). The interlocking fins fit together reasonably well on mine and I put a little filler on the joint. So modeling it with no gap makes sense to me.

Thank you so much for putting all these together! This was a trip down memory lane. I found myself remembering all of the rockets I've owned over the years and wondering where they all have gone. Many I had forgotten about, but I remember the prangs, the "outta-sights," the tree monsters, my brother...

You've put a ton of time into this. Thanks for your contribution!

Ok... Here's another one that I've been working on for a while... The Estes Mars Snooper (K-20):

Yes, it has pods... And that means that it's using the developer's version of OR (15.03dev). So, it doesn't save right... But this is what you can do with OR (and a lot of patience).

Here's what it looks like after a close and reopen... ugh... I have documented all the pods to make sure I can undo the mess caused by OR's pod requirements of 2 or more.

View attachment 328479

Thanks to Randy Boadway (eRockets) for his help with this sim (fin and decals). JimZ's site provided the instructions I used...

The original file I tried to upload was nearly 7 times too large to upload to the forums... It took several attempts before I was able to attach the file (thus the "image lite" remark in the file name).
Is there an updated version of this file ? It doesn't seem to be compatible with the new version of open rocket.

Hi, the rocket in post 256 of your open rocket thread (2011/7248) is named “Supernova”. I think if you remove the capitalized “Payloader” it will help stop some name confusion.

Attachments

• IMG_4602.png
    IMG_4602.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi, the rocket in post 256 of your open rocket thread (2011/7248) is named “Supernova”. I think if you remove the capitalized “Payloader” it will help stop some name confusion.
Sorry for the delay... Your question came in during my work week (and the bicycle commutes into the wind with mixed snow and rain), and it takes a bit of time to recover from that.

Good Suggestion. I've done some research, and from what I found is that while people refer to the kit as Supernova Payloader, it did not appear in the catalog, or on the facecard with that name. I'll remove it when I update the file.

All The Best!

Have you ever posted a file for your "Part of Zon"/"Part-of-a-Zon"? I've searched and nothing came up. Might be a fun add on your Partizon sim post.
The Part-of-a-zon was basically a Partisan missing a body tube segment, so all you really need to do is remove the upper body tube segment after moving everything down from it. But I could alter the SIM in a little while. I'm not at home right now.

Easy enough. I can do that, just needed the info. Thanks!

ETA: Simmed it up before breakfast (thanks to your file as a starting point) and made my usual MPR/HPR mods, plus some tweaks to the design. I like it a lot better than a standard Partizon. Part-of-Zon is on the build list!

1708959687655.png

Last edited:
Back