KLOB 2006 - UK launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ursa_Major

Reaction score
23 days to KLOB and counting! 30th Sep & 1st Oct are the dates for your diary, so use up some of those brownie points you've earned this summer and get across to fly with us!

The event is open for rockets from Micromaxx through M class. The ceiling for flights is 10k feet, with flights above that by pre-booking only. If you want to exceed 10K feet, please email the UKRA events email address with your plans NO LATER THAN 23RD SEPTEMBER.

The event organisation is all in place, NOTAMs have been filed, we've even got the portaloos booked.

If anyone's willing to help out in setup / teardown, please pm me.

Setup of the range will be Friday Sep 29th in the morning, and Teardown will start on Sunday October 1st from 17:00.

Thanks

G.

The UKRA website shows the dates as 29 -1st - is there flying on the 29th or is this a mistake on the website. I probably can't get there for the Friday anyway so all a little moot for me.

Happy to help with the teardown on Sunday though.

Launching is only on Sat/Sun, although many people start arriving on the Friday.

The KLOB page and the Front page both state 30th-1st. Where do you see 29th?

See you there :)

Originally posted by andysrockets
Launching is only on Sat/Sun, although many people start arriving on the Friday.

The KLOB page and the Front page both state 30th-1st. Where do you see 29th?

See you there :)
On https://www.ukra.org.uk/events/klob.html - but i just refreshed my browser - now it is 30th - 1st. I had an old page showing 29th too. I thought it was odd as I know K-lob i susually a 2 day event.

Back to the epoxy bottles as soon as I can get out of work so I have something to fly.

Its all a matter of time...but, if all goes to plan I hope to double the Mars Attacks fleet and finish the other 2 'Pitfield powered' birds too :D

Pete

Im really looking forward to KLOB.lets all pray to the wind gods for some great weather:D

Originally posted by rocketstoreuk
Dont forget, KLOB is your last chance to register a flight for the BSD challenge. SO if you fancy a new Level 3 BSD Horizon 5.5", then give it a go.

https://www.rocketstore.co.uk/news/bsd_ukra2006_20060426.aspx
What is the current best altitude to beat?

Also is it flights on Saturday and Sunday - I seemed to have a recollection from UKRA that it was the Saturday only for some reason.

Hi

It think it is both days, but I will check with UKRA council and find out the current best.

Do you have to be a UKRA member to fly at this event? I'm planning to come along if I can anyway, but it would be nice to fly a couple of my own.

Originally posted by thecornflake
Do you have to be a UKRA member to fly at this event? I'm planning to come along if I can anyway, but it would be nice to fly a couple of my own.

You can apply for a months temporary membership of UKRA, to allow you to fly on the day, which is what I am doing since I failed to re-new my membership this year :(
Go on do it! Come and lob some rockets!

Pete
UKRA L2
NSRG 03

Originally posted by starbug
I failed to re-new my membership this year :(

Ooooh! Naughty lad. I'll send Obelix round to sort you out (or at least drink all your tea!)....

See you at KLOB. Plenty of room for your fleet to disperse this time around :D

G.

Originally posted by Ursa_Major
[

See you at KLOB. Plenty of room for your fleet to disperse this time around :D

G. [/B]

You betcha'! Just finished glueing the motor mounts tonight. will probably cut out all (27) landing legs at work tomorrow...ready for paint at the weekend.
I found out today that the new blast deflectors ( all 16 ) are being laser cut from a piece of stainless...a bit over the top eh? But the're free, so can't really complain! :D

Fleet will be ready to attack a week on Saturday...Ackack, Ack, etc

Pete

UKRA L2
NSRG 03

Originally posted by thecornflake

If you are already a BMFA member I think you can also fly up to G motors, however you will have to bring proof of membership with you.

Cath

My trusty weatherman says:

Sat: 6-10mph winds, 18C, 70% cloud cover, 0mm rain

Sun: 7-10mph winds, 19C, 80% cloud cover, 1mm rain
With most of the rain 9am - 2pm

Looks like Sat will be the better day for flying ? If they are right.

Originally posted by arthur dent
any weather updates and does anyone know which fields are going to be used.

Yes, we're using the 23 acre stubble field immediately behind the farm at the end of the track.

G.

SO ..........

who went, was it good, were the fireworks up to the high standards of recent times. How many of the planned M flights made it, any notable level qualifications, did the Martians attack ack ack ?????????

2 days on - and silence ... it didn't rain all the time!!

:confused:

Saturday was an excellent day, no rain really. 6 M flights from the Hybrid crew (5 in one day from Damian and Colin), that has to be a first I think ?

Also one of the dutch party broke an altitude record and got to over 21k.

Many other good flights, many level certifications too !

Sunday was complete pants though, only a handful of flights in the morning, then mid day came the hurricane. At some points we had several people holding onto the gazibo trying to hold it down. Malcolm has several on his gazibos too. It was quite bad.

Well I did get to fly most of the stuff I took with me on the Saturday. I would have flown lots more...if only I hadn't locked the keys in the car :eek:
A very nice man broke into my car for me to retrive them...

Anyhoo, here's the Saucer clone ready to go with a Pitfield F72-0, boy, did this thing leap off the pad or what!

Ah, just noticed I am logged in as the missus :)
Starbug also flew the scratchbuilt 'Kelburn Comet' on another Pitfield motor, this time was an F36-5.

Final flight of the day was the new 'enhanced ' Mars Attacks fleet. A scout party of 8 saucers had been flown earlier this year, but this swarm was now expanded to 16 ships. 16 1/2 A 2T motors and lots of quickmatch later...

Some inflight pics are available on the HART website, nice pics Pete!

www.hartrockets.co.uk

Originally posted by Miss Riley

Anyhoo, here's the Saucer clone ready to go with a Pitfield F72-0, boy, did this thing leap off the pad or what!

Oooh, I like that!

Originally posted by Miss Riley
Well I did get to fly most of the stuff I took with me on the Saturday. I would have flown lots more...if only I hadn't locked the keys in the car :eek:
A very nice man broke into my car for me to retrive them...

What motors are that? Never heard of them...

best regards
Felix

Originally posted by Felix
What motors are that? Never heard of them...

They're a 40mm diameter black powder motor available from time to time in the UK.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
They're a 40mm diameter black powder motor available from time to time in the UK.
W.T.F :eek: I have got to find me some if those

Hm... sounds similar to the TSP motors from Poland.
They have black powder motors up to an H100 :rolleyes:

Originally posted by pricey
W.T.F :eek: I have got to find me some if those

Looks into range box and sees Pitfield / Rocket Services G30 Comets, F36-5s and F72-0s :)

One day, I'll have to fly some of them again :)

I'll see if I can knock something up for November EARS if I have time. The 40mm motor mount is a bit of a pain, but we used to fly these motors in the early to mid 1990s, in fact, people like Ben Jarvis and James Macfarlane used to fly heinous clusters of these motors. I remember launching a Pitfield / Rocket Services G30 boost glider at the IRW about 1995, which went up beautifully, but came down like a rock. As a factoid, I did my UKRA Level 1 cert on a Pitfield / Rocket Services H136 reloadable 38mm motor too - a motor which was a "useful" diameter :)

There was a Pitfield / Rocket Services F47 flown at this year's K-Lob too BTW

All the best,

Richard

Back