KLOB 2006 - UK launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by ukrocketman
There was a Pitfield / Rocket Services F47 flown at this year's K-Lob too BTW
Many were flown at IRW, but then Kelburn *is* the spiritual home of Pitfields ;)

Originally posted by Felix
What motors are that? Never heard of them...

best regards
Felix

Rocket Services motors, often known as "Pitfield" motors are a range of solid rocket motors that have been used in the UK since the 1980s. Before HPR motors were imported into the UK, it was not uncommon to see rockets powered by clusters of these motors. They were a mainstay of the IRW in Scotland, and popular still at the first UKRA launches.

In terms of size, they ranged from the smaller 24mm motors such as the D-class "Tutu" motor, which is a long burn motor (7.5 seconds), through the F47, and the most well known of the motors, the 40mm diameter F36-5, F72-0, and the G30 Comet motors.

Beyond this, there were the H200 "Guppy", the H136 38mm reloadable motor, the J870 and the K1280. A group of us used the K1280 a few times back in the mid 1990's, when K-class motors were still considered large in the UK.

Rocket Services also produced a large liquid bi-prop rocket called the Tiger, which was basically a scaled down V-2 about 15 feet tall. In fact I went to their facility and saw the engine for that rocket. Very impressive. They used to produce a catalogue too. By the late 1990s, they had moved away from motors to producing books on space related topics. The motors can still be found amongst those who have been involved in UK rocketry since back then.

The founder of Rocket Services, the eponymous Mr Pitfield, set many firsts in UK amateur rocketry, with the first UK amateur rocket with steering vanes, the first UK amateur rocket with movable canards, the first UK amateur rocket with radio control. All of these done in about 1980-1981

I hope this helps?

All the best,

Richard

The 40mm motor mount is a bit of a pain,

It's BT-60! It's bog[1] standard UK loo roll size! It's easy!

[1] I'm sorry.

Rocket Services motors, often known as "Pitfield" motors are a range of solid rocket motors that have been used in the UK since the 1980s. Before HPR motors were imported into the UK, it was not uncommon to see rockets powered by clusters of these motors. They were a mainstay of the IRW in Scotland, and popular still at the first UKRA launches.

In terms of size, they ranged from the smaller 24mm motors such as the D-class "Tutu" motor, which is a long burn motor (7.5 seconds), through the F47, and the most well known of the motors, the 40mm diameter F36-5, F72-0, and the G30 Comet motors.

Beyond this, there were the H200 "Guppy", the H136 38mm reloadable motor, the J870 and the K1280. A group of us used the K1280 a few times back in the mid 1990's, when K-class motors were still considered large in the UK.

Rocket Services also produced a large liquid bi-prop rocket called the Tiger, which was basically a scaled down V-2 about 15 feet tall. In fact I went to their facility and saw the engine for that rocket. Very impressive. They used to produce a catalogue too. By the late 1990s, they had moved away from motors to producing books on space related topics. The motors can still be found amongst those who have been involved in UK rocketry since back then.

The founder of Rocket Services, the eponymous Mr Pitfield, set many firsts in UK amateur rocketry, with the first UK amateur rocket with steering vanes, the first UK amateur rocket with movable canards, the first UK amateur rocket with radio control. All of these done in about 1980-1981

I hope this helps?

All the best,

Richard

Yup, that helped me :)
Thanks for the info!

regards,
Felix

Back