Kite Boarding video that looks like something out of Science Fiction!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, the moves on this don’t like like something do-able in Earth Gravity. This looks like fun.
Awesome hobby, that makes HP-rocketry very VERY VERY inexpensive, by comparison.
Also requires superb physical conditioning, thus limiting the cross-over with rocketry to ~1% of the population :cool:

That guy was catching some serious altitude, or the drone perspective is phenomenal!
Well skilled kite surfers can and do catch significant air, which comes with a unique set of dangers.
Here is more Kite-surfing eye candy for yo'all:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I could see myself being dragged through the sand by a kite....
I used to get myself dragged through the sand by a kite (Florence, Oregon). [EDIT] It was deliberately, I was a sand skiier. I didn't have the resources to get into kite skiing as I was on the coast, and not on Hood River. [/EDIT]

I even made national (British) news when flying kites. I messed up and crashed due to a lack of information, bad advice, and no way to check things out before I went there (pre-WWW days). Brill Hill, in Buckinghamshire is a lovely place to fly kites (if you don't mind the sheep crap). However, it is no place for a stack of eight 6' Flexifoil Stackers. Thank God I was wearing my combat boots... Too bad I wasn't wearing a helmet (I don't make that mistake anymore when I fly that kite).

Last edited:

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I used to get myself dragged through the sand by a kite (Florence, Oregon).
I even made national (British) news when flying kites. I messed up and crashed due to a lack of information, bad advice, and no way to check things out before I went there (pre-WWW days).
Yep, there are some SPECTECULAR kitesurfing mishap videos on YT, like this one.
Sequence @3:06 is cute:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, there are some SPECTECULAR kitesurfing mishap videos on YT, like this one.
Sequence @3:06 is cute:
Yeah, at 3:06 kind of like what a rocket must feel like (if it had feelings) when it hangs up in a tree.

crazy that these enthusiasts seem to like shallow water and rocky beaches. I would think the tendency would be to stay well out of beach areas. Also don’t seem to be much if any rules of “right of way”, I would expect lots of tangles in crowded areas.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine was quite into kite surfing. Got a big lift one day and dumped on some rocks. Weeks in ICU, and months of recovery. He is healed up well now years down the track.

I will steer clear of that but I used to do aerial freestyle skiing. My shoulder kept popping out so I had to give that up :( .