High School Science Research Topic Assistance: Cold Gas Thruster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

got shock diamonds

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

For my high school science research project, I want to research different 3D-printed nozzle designs for a Cold Gas Thruster. I want to learn about this type of propulsion as I research. However, I'm confused about how I would build the entire system and test stand. I want to be able to visualize the flow, but I don't need it to produce a crazy amount of thrust and last for a long time. Just a decent amount of thrust and a few seconds. I want to build it with household materials or from hardware stores (like HomeDepot). Can someone please give me some insights or tips (building process/propellant)? Thank you!

Here are the videos that seem like what I want my build to look like

(maybe this is a overreach)

Last edited:
you are a minor, you are not allowed to mess around with rocket motors.
I think you are out of line with this. The age restrictions are only for APCP and BP at G or larger sizes. The OP is asking about using cold thrusters and since they don't use any energetics I don't believe there are any age restrictions. Also, since this is a school project, why do you assume there isn't any required and sufficient adult supervision?

For a 1st step, I would recommend playing around with compressed air. Standard 7 Bar (100psi) supply. This will allow limitless supply, off-the-shelf valving and plumbing and is pretty safe to play around with. There's a lot that can be learnt and achieved from compressed air.
It might not have all the mobility/pressure/density as something like CO2, but there's enough virtues (and hazard reduction) there to achieve some really good science, creativity, learning and potentially something cool.
If you progress to something like CO2, the cost of valves and plumbing will increase substantially for the required throughput.

TP

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I started (with absolutely no supervision since all the adults were high as kites) messing around with rockets in the 6th grade. I am 50 now. No one got hurt, nothing was burned, I just lost alot of rockets because I launched in to small areas near woods.

I am teaching my children safely, and in a ordered manner. I don't have any advice, other than cold gas will burn you just like fire will. This is something you can figure out. Don't be discouraged, this is possible.

Latest posts

Back