Kitbash of a Quest X-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blades

Reaction score
Presenting the X-16 high altitude research spaceplane. Used the same strakes and the wings became the canards in this new bird. A Sky Dart style power pod releases two adjustable ailerons for gliding flight.
She's had one flight so far. Boost was very straight, but the glide left a little to be desired, nothing that a little flight trimming won't fix.
X 16.jpg X 16 bottom.jpg X 16 pod.jpg

Cool bash Blades! Some of those decals look familiar too.;)
Can you describe how it glided?

Cool bash Blades! Some of those decals look familiar too.;)
Can you describe how it glided?

I haven't the slightest idea what you mean about the decals. :D

As for the flight, it came in a pretty tight spiral. I just need to crank one of the ailerons down a little.

Do you have any pics that show the ailerons and pop pod in better detail? Looks like you built a neat system for the rear end.

Do you have any pics that show the ailerons and pop pod in better detail? Looks like you built a neat system for the rear end.

I'll get some more pics for you shortly. I bent the hold-down yoke from a length of music wire. It's very similar to the arrangement used on the Estes SRX Aurora.

Blades:

Post patterns and parts details for the X-16. This is one cool project indeed! :cool: :clap: :)

Yes please give all the things needed to build one of the X-16. This thing is just to cool.

Here ya go, Foose.
X-16 pod 2.jpg
This is the best closeup I could get of the pod and ailerons. As you can see, the rudder has a nylon screw to act as a stop for the aileron. The hold-down wire is attached with a generous dob of epoxy. I glued the centering rings to a 1/8th inch piece of balsa and then cut them out. I CA'd the rings and then sanded them smooth so they'd travel easily through the body tube.

I'll work up fin patterns and such for you guys and post them tomorrow.

Very nice work there!

Looks BT55ish, right? How much does the glider and pod weigh? This might look good upscaled and with a tad more dihedral. Also like the XB-70ish underwing 'box' as well as the decals.

You can tell from the overall planform that any little misalignment or warpage might induce tighter than you'd like spiralling on glide.

Mike,
the combined weight is 113 grams and the glider alone is 73 grams. The body tube is Quest's 35mm, which is reasonably close to a BT55. It glides fine with a hand toss, I just need to do some more test flights to dial it in for powered flight.

Mike,
the combined weight is 113 grams and the glider alone is 73 grams. The body tube is Quest's 35mm, which is reasonably close to a BT55. It glides fine with a hand toss, I just need to do some more test flights to dial it in for powered flight.

Ok, so 113g is really 4z on the button then, which is unfortunately too heavy for the Quest C6. I might just make a plain easy cardstock/Depron version of this so it comes in around 2.5z or perhaps less. After all, since this is based on a Quest kit, shouldnt I fly it on thier 'specialty' motor?

Again, nice job of using SkyDart and SRX 'tech' in your version. That's what kit gliders are supposed to do; teach you how it 'works' and then you work that knowledge into your own ways/designs. 35 years later, you end as myself :eyepop:

Thanks Mike,
I've made quite a few gliders over the years and I've always had good results with the Sky Dart styles. I don't go in for super performance flights, I just like to see a nice stable boost and glide. The largest bird I've built so far is a BT80 based upscale of my Goonie Sky Dart.
View attachment 28315
Both of them fly quite well. I haven't attempted the really large scale gliders, like yours, yet.

Wow! that is a great looking model! I'm very impressed with the design. I would love to see some patterns...I promise I will give credit :eek:

Thanks Mike,
I've made quite a few gliders over the years and I've always had good results with the Sky Dart styles. I don't go in for super performance flights, I just like to see a nice stable boost and glide. The largest bird I've built so far is a BT80 based upscale of my Goonie Sky Dart.

Both of them fly quite well. I haven't attempted the really large scale gliders, like yours, yet.

Yes and I wholeheartedly concur. The Astron SkyDart was THE thing that got me into rocketry way back in the day, and still holds a very dear place in my heart.

What I do on my 'SkyDart' styled gliders is usually make them much easier to build and trim by adding tiny amounts of nose weight instead of that screw system. Also, I like to build these things large but very light and use minimal motor. For example, I have a BT60 sized SkyDart made with cardstock and Depron, and this is still light enough to do well on an Estes C6 motor.

I like sport gliders to be large, light and fly right. This means a solid boost and glide.....not always BTC durations, but also not SRX/Tomcat/Cosmos Mariner 'fall with style' either.

That BT80 GoonyDart looks cool, and probably makes for a great launch. Im guessing youve built this 'heavy' and use E15s or the like.

Due to very bad $$$$ issues I cannot fly the large HPR stuff that I did so much 15-18yrs ago. Really miss those too. Today, its all about large and very light and making do with mimimum power to get reasonable flights. Totally anathema to my 'old ways' but even more challenging to get right.

Please post the rest of the X16 specs, such as wingspan and chord, when you can. IF you had posted this a few days ago, I would have slapped one together for this Saturdays ROCK launch.

That BT80 GoonyDart looks cool, and probably makes for a great launch. Im guessing youve built this 'heavy' and use E15s or the like.

Actually, I kept it as light as possible. The wings are papered 3/32" balsa and the nacelles are posterboard. D12s give it a very nice flight. I'd weigh it for you, but it's last flight went a little too well and after a concerted search effort, I have concluded that it'll just be easier to build a new one. Recovered the power pod easily, at least.

Guy Noir,
The glide CG on mine measures 4.25" from the rear. Hope this helps.

Awesome!

How did I miss this?

Blades! Please share your patterns and details.

Daniel

Last edited:
Back