K-50 Interceptor Booster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PunkRocketScience

Reaction score
Hey folks-

A quick look at the original plans for the Interceptor instructions shows suggested display ideas. One of these was a strap on booster. I ordered my "new and improved" Interceptor kit this morning, so I don't know if it's still in the new version of the instructions. I did a search here as well, but you wouldn't believe how many hits the search tool got for "interceptor"...:surprised:

Has anyone built one of these? I'm looking at designing a flying version as opposed to just a static display as a small scale version of a future project...

k-50.jpg

Micro. Is there anything you haven't tried. Like ....... World Domination???

Todd,

Great minds must think alike! I have started a 3x version of the Interceptor (4" body tube) with Booster. I have also planned on having an operational booster. The external dimensions are attached. I guess I need to speed up the build.

Guy

interceptor booster-3x.gif

Yeah... I knew it was going to be Micro who posted the pics...

Thanks for the link Scott!

Guy... You're not thinking big enough! This (if it works in the small version) is going to be the big project for next year's Plaster Blaster. Something that is inherantly stable and can be built solid enough that it has a good chance of being reflyable. We are thinking approximately 6-8x upscale with the booster parallel staging.

I was going 3x first - I have a 9x on the books. Just need to convince the wife (after she sees the 3x she'll cave on the 9x). That would be 16.5" diameter booster with a 12" diameter Interceptor. I was planning on selecting motors with close thrust profiles for the first 3 seconds, drop the booster and continue with a longer burn for the interceptor. This would reduce the off-center thrust effects.

If your thinking anything larger the then about 3X I think your in the wrong forum;) I have been considering building a 3 D12 booster for the Larger Estes model if it's ever released. Humm but I think that will still puts it in the MPR forum rather then this one.

Agreed. However, I was acused of thinking small;) - needed to correct that image. At this point Todd will most likely finish his large scale before I start mine.

Ah ha ha Ha!
I'm 6'-2", 300+lbs, and I build Micros.
Theres NOTHING wrong with thinking small or tiny! If fact it's more of a challange then the bigger stuff. But that's a whole different debate;)

Todd,

All kidding aside, has the theme been finalized for PB7? This would be an awesome project - certainly up to the standards and traditions of PlasterBlaster. Arizona Rocketry Team has not settled on a project yet, but need to resolve it soon as each of the team members has other irons in the fire for next year.

Guy

Guy-

This will be the test model for the project. I'll shoot you a PM about PB7. To be respectful to Micromeister, I'd rather not get into too much about HPR here in the LPR forum.

Sandman-

That is AWESOME! It looks like the external fuel tank from the X-15 with SRBs on it! Way cool!

Sandman-

That is AWESOME! It looks like the external fuel tank from the X-15 with SRBs on it! Way cool!

Thanks, It is sort of a cross between the X-15 external tank, a Titan II and the shuttle SRB's.

I didn't want to leave anybody out.;)

is that the estes interscepter E version? I'm working on one now. I would like toput a bffle or something in it

I am asking everyone. And I receved it as a gift from the people of Estes.

I think...I'm nopt positive but I think the E version of the Interceptor has a 1.8" body tube. You can verify that yourself but, if it is I don't think anyone makes a 1.8" baffle.

Not yet anyway.

She said she served in Iraq and they were sending kits to her to her. Probably to keep he, "sane". Any way, anyone one who goes to that pit deserves respect and in this case, one of the few kits worth buying from Estes.

Back