Just launched my first model rocket ever!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odo

Reaction score
Just launched my first model rocket! Im 15 and decided Id spend my savings on a new hobby since I dont have much to do around my house, and I invested about 100 dollars into getting started in this great hobby! I am not disappointed!
My first rocket is the SpaceX Falcon 9 with Dragon model! I love spaceX and I desperately wanted a realistic looking rocket so it was the middleground!
Let me just start off that this rocket is fantastic. It looks great! I was instantly attracted to it for its very spot on decals. It was extremely easy to assemble, and with a few personal modifications I had a very great rocket sitting infront of me :) So after ordering everything I need from Estes (I got some wicked sales :D) I was off to a big field to launch it!
I set it up with a C-6-7 engine. From what I had looked up the numbers meant, in order, the amount of newtons the engine applies, and the delay before the ejection charge. So I deducted that this engine had 12 pounds of lift, and that it would release the parachutes after 7 seconds of the engine running out.
So I got the rocket set up for launch and stood back with my controller. I wasnt sure what to expect, and I was really iffy about the parachute system cause I didnt think they would open.
So as it launched off (Straight as an arrow to my delight) it left a gorgeous white trail behind it with an oddly nice smokey smell. It soared high into the sky and then began to tilt down as the engine cut. It free fell nose down for about 7 seconds before the chute opened (All the while I thought something horribly wrong had happened since I didnt see a chute) and when the red parachutes finally did flare up I was yelling in joy! They had deployed perfectly and were now gently floating down. I quickly ran to recover my rocket and Dragon capsule (Which had only landed about 50 yards separate from the rocket. That was another concern of me, it getting taken away by the wind since it completely separates) I quickly put more recovery wadding, igniters, and another plug in and set it up to launch a second time! once again a flawless launch! The rocket flew straight as could be, leaving me with a smile on my face :)
I recovered it again and packed up my supplies, due to the ridiculous heat combined with humidity, I was suffering from heat stroke (I live in a really hot part of Tennessee) other wise I would of stayed for hours! Ive still got 2 engines, a bag of igniters, and I think 4 plugs. Ive got 6 b-6-6 engines ordered from amazon coming in the mail soon, so Ill try out the smaller engine too when they come :)
So over all my first rocket and launch ever was very successful and Im still happy! After working on a project for so long its nice to see it succeed with no issues.
So my question to you people is do you have any advice for a new model rocketeer? I think I'm gonna love this hobby :)

Congrats! Nice job on the write up!

Suggestions? Here's a few.

Don't forget your camera... We all like pics (and flickr is free (despite the awful new layout))
Look up how to paper fins, it will help you make nice looking ones.
Pick up some epoxy, and look up how to make epoxy fillets (I've been into this since the 80's and only just used epoxy for the first time last week... I will never go back to Elmer's glue or CA glue again).
Rustoleum Filler Primer is awesome for getting rid of small imperfections (available at Home Depot). Spray it on heavy, then sand most of it off, repeat if necessary until you're happy with the look.
CAREFULLY Read your instructions... and FOLLOW them. This goes double for paint. Nothing like having a paint job that's just about ready for decals go all wrinkled on you just because you recoated it too soon (first hand knowledge)
Paint light colors first, then mask and do your dark colors. An undercoat of white primer helps keep the color even on lighter/paler colors (especially if the nosecone and body tube are supposed to be the same shade of whatever color you're painting)
Get yourself some wet/dry sandpaper. I like to divide mine into 4.5" x 3.75" sections (I keep one sheet of 320 on the sanding block). I do most of the pack this way, so when one gets gummed up, I just grab another and continue. Once I'm out, I take them all and rinse them off, and reuse. I personally use (sparingly) 220 grit, (more often) 320 grit, for nose cones I like to use 400 and 600 grit paper. Some here are capable of creating a mirror-like gloss, and use up to 2000 grit paper.
Metal Rulers RULE!!! Plastic and wood rulers are fine for kids projects, but this is Rocket Science ;) (I have a 6", 12", and 18" ruler).
When in doubt, post your problem here, or over on YORF, there's a lot of experienced rocketers around, and we're typically happy to share our knowledge with the future of the hobby.
Join YORF (Ye Olde Rocket Forum) lots of cool old rockets there.
Look up acronyms before you post (saves you looking like a NOOB).
Share what you find with us. Who knows you might help someone learn something w/o blowing their hand off (nod to an old rocketry handbook I read in high school).
Vented 'chutes descend faster than unvented ones (usually).
Photocopy any parts of your plans that you are supposed to cut out and use for assembling the rocket. Cut up the photocopies, and keep your old instructions intact.
Scanning instructions (decals, and fins) helps to reproduce them later. You'd be surprised how much you'll want to recreate your first rockets in about 20-30 years.
Trees SUCK!​

Wallet prepare to be thinner! ;)

So, does Odo mean something? Something other than "Unknown Sample"?

All The Best!
K'Tesh Son of K'raig

Last edited:
Welcome to the insanity! Congrats on your first successful launch, with many more to come!!! Keep up the good work! They are only going to go higher and faster!!

If you can find a club nearby, it would be great. Lots of fun, advice, etc. If not, I hope you manage to find a few more like-minded crazies. The shared experiences are not to be missed.

If you can find a club nearby, it would be great. Lots of fun, advice, etc. If not, I hope you manage to find a few more like-minded crazies. The shared experiences are not to be missed.

There was an indian gentleman at the field I was in flying an RC plane which he put up to watch my launches, he was smiling more then I was screaming about how awesome it was with 2 huge thumbs up, I think he had more fun then I did xD

Ditto on finding a local club. You'll find a wealth of information on all aspects of the hobby as well as many willing hands when you need help. There is nothing better than sharing the hobby with others. Also look into joining the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) - or other relevant national rocketry organization if you aren't in the US.

Other than those my best piece of advice is to ask questions here on TRF! If nobody here knows the answer (extremely unlikely) then someone will for sure know where to find it!

Hi :) Fun, huh? Only one thing, was the rocket well on it's way down when the ejection charges went off? I ask because the C6-7 is usually an upper stage motor for a two stage (or more) rocket, same as the B6-6. On the package there's usually a recommended motor size, single stage generaly a C6-5 or B6-4 as the case may be. That is unless the rocket is very light and I don't think the Space X rocket is all that light. In the resources section there's a place called Hobby Linc. It has the best prices of Estes motors I can find although right now, in the Yard Sale section below, there's a sale on the older Estes Cobra packaged motors for $2 a pack instead of the full retail now of, what is it, $12 a pack? I am kinda cutting myself off here a bit, I plan on buying a mountian of whatever he's got left but I'm into helping a n00b out ;)

Good for you...:wave:
Glad to see you use the word "wicked" for "good" .(I got some wicked sales )Thats wicked cool.
Next up is a "Scratcher".
Have fun and welcome to TRF.

Last edited:
Hi :) Fun, huh? Only one thing, was the rocket well on it's way down when the ejection charges went off? I ask because the C6-7 is usually an upper stage motor for a two stage (or more) rocket, same as the B6-6. On the package there's usually a recommended motor size, single stage generaly a C6-5 or B6-4 as the case may be. That is unless the rocket is very light and I don't think the Space X rocket is all that light. In the resources section there's a place called Hobby Linc. It has the best prices of Estes motors I can find although right now, in the Yard Sale section below, there's a sale on the older Estes Cobra packaged motors for $2 a pack instead of the full retail now of, what is it, $12 a pack? I am kinda cutting myself off here a bit, I plan on buying a mountian of whatever he's got left but I'm into helping a n00b out ;)

I wanted my rocket to reach apogee before deploying its chute, and also since the 2 pieces seperated entirely I didnt want the chutes to open too far up whered thered be a lot of wind to push them away. I thought hard about which engine to buy :)
Another bonus was I didnt want my chute to open while it was still kinda going up like I see a lot in videos, I wanted it to get well past its apogee till chute deployment.
The SpaceX rocket is wicked light. Like half a pound.

Also what do you mean resource section? Link? Id love to get in on these sales :D

Congrats! Nice job on the write up!

Suggestions? Here's a few.

Don't forget your camera... We all like pics (and flickr is free (despite the awful new layout))
Look up how to paper fins, it will help you make nice looking ones.
Pick up some epoxy, and look up how to make epoxy fillets (I've been into this since the 80's and only just used epoxy for the first time last week... I will never go back to Elmer's glue or CA glue again).
Rustoleum Filler Primer is awesome for getting rid of small imperfections (available at Home Depot). Spray it on heavy, then sand most of it off, repeat if necessary until you're happy with the look.
CAREFULLY Read your instructions... and FOLLOW them. This goes double for paint. Nothing like having a paint job that's just about ready for decals go all wrinkled on you just because you recoated it too soon (first hand knowledge)
Paint light colors first, then mask and do your dark colors. An undercoat of white primer helps keep the color even on lighter/paler colors (especially if the nosecone and body tube are supposed to be the same shade of whatever color you're painting)
Get yourself some wet/dry sandpaper. I like to divide mine into 4.5" x 3.75" sections (I keep one sheet of 320 on the sanding block). I do most of the pack this way, so when one gets gummed up, I just grab another and continue. Once I'm out, I take them all and rinse them off, and reuse. I personally use (sparingly) 220 grit, (more often) 320 grit, for nose cones I like to use 400 and 600 grit paper. Some here are capable of creating a mirror-like gloss, and use up to 2000 grit paper.
Metal Rulers RULE!!! Plastic and wood rulers are fine for kids projects, but this is Rocket Science ;) (I have a 6", 12", and 18" ruler).
When in doubt, post your problem here, or over on YORF, there's a lot of experienced rocketers around, and we're typically happy to share our knowledge with the future of the hobby.
Join YORF (Ye Olde Rocket Forum) lots of cool old rockets there.
Look up acronyms before you post (saves you looking like a NOOB).
Share what you find with us. Who knows you might help someone learn something w/o blowing their hand off (nod to an old rocketry handbook I read in high school).
Vented 'chutes descend faster than unvented ones (usually).
Photocopy any parts of your plans that you are supposed to cut out and use for assembling the rocket. Cut up the photocopies, and keep your old instructions intact.
Scanning instructions (decals, and fins) helps to reproduce them later. You'd be surprised how much you'll want to recreate your first rockets in about 20-30 years.
Trees SUCK!​

Wallet prepare to be thinner! ;)

So, does Odo mean something? Something other than "Unknown Sample"?

All The Best!
K'Tesh Son of K'raig

Odo is a made up hobbit name. And since its really short and catchy its generally nice for usernames.
<< Ultimate Tolkien fan

Awesome welcome to the hobby that keeps you looking up!!!!! camera or video also wished i kept notes of all my launches!keep us posted!

I set it up with a C-6-7 engine. From what I had looked up the numbers meant, in order, the amount of newtons the engine applies, and the delay before the ejection charge. So I deducted that this engine had 12 pounds of lift, and that it would release the parachutes after 7 seconds of the engine running out.

I hope you'll find this a rewarding hobby that will last a life time. I'm glad you picked the Falcon 9. I'll (my team will) be flying an instrument to the International Space Station on a Falcon 9 in early 2015. I agree that it is a cool rocket. The only comment I have on your write up has to do with your conversion of 6 newtons of thrust to 12 pounds of thrust. You take the 6 newtons and divide them by 4.45 newtons/pound to get 1.35 pounds of thrust.

Welcome to the hobby!

Dr. Joe Zawodny
NASA Langley
SAGE III Project Scientist

Odo is the name of the Changeling security officer aboard Deep Space 9, his name was derived from the original label put on the beaker he was collected in by the Cardassians, prior to his rising to awareness. After the Founders surrendered on Cardassia, he resigned from his duties on DS9, and returned to cure his people of the disease that they had been infected with.

Even more Ultimate Star Trek Fan... (look up K'Tesh's Klingon Recipe Pages some time).

Last edited:
Just launched my first model rocket! Im 15 and decided Id spend my savings on a new hobby since I dont have much to do around my house, and I invested about 100 dollars into getting started in this great hobby! I am not disappointed!

So my question to you people is do you have any advice for a new model rocketeer? I think I'm gonna love this hobby :)

Run away while you still can...
:p

Also what do you mean resource section? Link? Id love to get in on these sales :D
Right now it's 2 slots above this one one the Watering hole page but this is even easier:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?110-Rocketry-Resources

Most of the important dealers and manufacturer's are listed there. You can spend hours(and dollars) there easily. While they are mostly all excellent places to get what you want online 3 or 4 really stand out. For sure Excelsior is one but my main ones are SEMROC, Hobby Linc, and Uncle Mikes'. I have been buying a lot of parts because I like to design my rockets myself but use standard components and like I said, Hobby Linc is the best place for motors I have found, especially when you get into the reloadable motors. It's very hard to beat the AeroTech 24/40 motor for variety of possible loads from D to F. SEMROC can't be beat on parts and Unk Mike has everything under one roof at great prices. When I'm in a building mood they all benefit from my addiction ;)

Welcome to the craziness! Rocketry is highly addicting and soon it will grab your wallet and never let go. But it is so fun.

Sounds like a pretty good first launch!!

Most of the tips others have given are good ones so I won't retread the ground already covered.

I would throw in a plug for the "Handbook of Model Rocketry" by G. Harry Stine and Bill Stine. The 7th Edition (blue cover) is the most recent one (2004) and you can get it for under $10 on Amazon or Abebooks.

It contains loads of great information on how to build and fly a great variety of rockets of different types (scale models like your Falcon, sport models, payload models with things like cameras and gliders). It is written in clear and simple style so it is easy to absorb, but it has a lot of technical info too so you understand WHY it's a good idea to do things certain ways.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Rocketry has always been a challenge for me. It can be enjoyed at so many levels and it can be as hard as you would like it to be. You can spend years in the hobby and there is always something new to learn or understand. Cost wise it is one of the few hobbies that anyone starting out can afford and get the same exciting results at launch time as the large rocket high tech guys.
So welcome and most importantly ENJOY!!

I hope you'll find this a rewarding hobby that will last a life time. I'm glad you picked the Falcon 9. I'll (my team will) be flying an instrument to the International Space Station on a Falcon 9 in early 2015. I agree that it is a cool rocket. The only comment I have on your write up has to do with your conversion of 6 newtons of thrust to 12 pounds of thrust. You take the 6 newtons and divide them by 4.45 newtons/pound to get 1.35 pounds of thrust.

Welcome to the hobby!

Dr. Joe Zawodny
NASA Langley
SAGE III Project Scientist

Thought you multiplied by 2?

Odo is the name of the Changeling security officer aboard Deep Space 9, his name was derived from the original label put on the beaker he was collected in by the Cardassians, prior to his rising to awareness. After the Founders surrendered on Cardassia, he resigned from his duties on DS9, and returned to cure his people of the disease that they had been infected with.

Even more Ultimate Star Trek Fan... (look up K'Tesh's Klingon Recipe Pages some time).

I was aware that he was also a star trek character after I had begun using the username for a while cause someone asked me if my name was the startrek character haha. I watched Next Generation sometimes with Picard but not much other star trek! :(

Right now it's 2 slots above this one one the Watering hole page but this is even easier:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?110-Rocketry-Resources

Most of the important dealers and manufacturer's are listed there. You can spend hours(and dollars) there easily. While they are mostly all excellent places to get what you want online 3 or 4 really stand out. For sure Excelsior is one but my main ones are SEMROC, Hobby Linc, and Uncle Mikes'. I have been buying a lot of parts because I like to design my rockets myself but use standard components and like I said, Hobby Linc is the best place for motors I have found, especially when you get into the reloadable motors. It's very hard to beat the AeroTech 24/40 motor for variety of possible loads from D to F. SEMROC can't be beat on parts and Unk Mike has everything under one roof at great prices. When I'm in a building mood they all benefit from my addiction ;)

Thanks found it now :) Wasnt able to find these 2 dollar C motors you spoke of but still found some pretty nice discounts :)

And as to reply to the repeating comment of people wanting pictures and such, I dont really have a camera let alone know how to upload pictures to my computer so :/ I coulda taken pictures on my smartphone but still wouldnt have known how to upload them.

And as to reply to the repeating comment of people wanting pictures and such, I dont really have a camera let alone know how to upload pictures to my computer so :/ I coulda taken pictures on my smartphone but still wouldnt have known how to upload them.

I don't understand the concept of photographing your own launches. I think you miss a lot when you're looking at a tiny image on a little LCD screen. As others have recommended though, it's a good idea to join a club. Then you can have someone else photograph your launches and you can reciprocate when it's their turn. Another bonus is that you get to watch dozens of flights instead of just a few (of your own).

Now you've done it. You're hooked for life! I launched my first model rocket, an Estes Alpha III, in 1973. My father loved watching me launch them, and I have many fond memories with him. Over the years my rocketry activity slowed down, but never totally stopped. Even as an adult, after I moved out, I would go to my dad's and we'd launch rockets in the school field across the street, especially on the 4th of July. I just wish he was still around to see what I'm doing now...

While I never really got out of rocketry, I did take the occasional hiatus, due to life. Marriage, a kid, school, working, etc. But now I'm back into it more than ever before. Many of us here are what we call BAR's - Born Again Rocketeers. I attended my first club launch in 2009, and although I didn't fly anything, I was re-hooked! I love the club atmosphere. A bunch of people getting together with a common interest. And you'll find that rocketeers are some of the friendliest, most helpful people you'll ever encounter. And the launches you'll see can be downright spectacular! I technically became a BAR in 2010, and haven't looked back. I have achieved many things that I never thought I would. I went from this to this in just a few years!

I envy you in some ways, you've got all that discovery ahead of you. You're going to have a blast! (No pun intended!)

lunar_launch_021310_018.jpg

lunar_launch_021310_025.jpg

IMGP2063edit.jpg

IMGP2064edit.jpg

IMGP2096edit.jpg

Back