Just bought a launch kit, a few questions about lift off

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnauzer

Reaction score
well i made the purchase of an estes rascal & hi-jinks launch kit

i got the majority of it put together... i just have a few questions

the instructions direct me to put masking tape 6" high on the launch pole
is this to stop the rocket from sitting directly on the metal plate? how thick with the tape?

also the directions show a photo of the rockets head upside down, if its upside down and the head falls off you should add masking tape is what it implies.

one of the rockets can be tipped upside down without falling off.... the other falls off just by tipping it upside down.

my question when adding masking tape... how tight sould that head stick to the rocket in a perfect world lol. just enough to not fall out upside down?

another question, the directions advise me to sand the launch pole at each end and at the mid section where the 2 halves meet... what grit sand paper?? would a fine grit steel wool do the trick?

last i want to ask... that saftey cap with the orange ribbon for the top of the pole.... do you leave that on the entire time? do most of you not even bother using it period? is there a certain period you leave it on or off? lol what is the real way to use that it seems like it could set a rocket off track if it was on the pole at launch.

thanks for your time
Ben

Hi Ben,

The tape on the launch rod is to keep the rocket(s) from being so close to the blast deflector that the ignitor and micro clips can short together on the deflector. Just put enough wraps of tape around so that the launch lug sits on top of it without any kind of sticking. There are other, better ways to do that, but for now that will work.

Put just enough tape on the shoulder of the nosecone so that it doesn't fall off when you tip the rocket upside down. There should be just a very light pull required to pull the cone off.

Sanding the rod in the middle is to get rid of any mismatch between the upper and lower rod when they are assembled. I would turn them a little until you get the best fit possible, and then sand with a light grit if needed. 320 probably would work. I suspect they say sand the top just to make sure there are no burrs that the rocket could hang up on. Steel wool on the length of the rod is a good idea periodically to keep exhaust residue off it, so the rockets slide easily.

The safety cap is supposed to be on the rod whenever a rocket is not on the pad, so you don't poke your eye out bending over to put a rocket on the pad. Once your clips are connected to the ignitor and you are ready to launch, take the cap off. It should be tied to the interlock key so you can't accidentally launch with the cap on the rod.

Have fun with the launches!! :)

tape:
that is to, keep the clips from shorting out to the blast deflector and help prevent heat damage to the aft end of the rocket. a spring clip clothes pin can be used too.
rex

Now comes the fun part!

I know others have commented on the the safety cap and all - i have some notes that always worked for me - and makes me a bit of a big kid.

After you place the rocket on the pad I replace the safety cap and hook up the clips to the ignitor.

Now the fun part - I am working on training my 4-y-o to do this now.

Take the cap of and yell "all clear"

Walk to the launcher insert safety key check for ready light and yell "armed"

Countdown from 10

Press shiny red button.

Smile - -

Perhaps that is all a bit much - but thems were the 4-H rules from the 80s and I stuck with them. It also makes me feel more giddy, and makes my boy smile.

Happy flying!

great replies....

i love plastic gorillas methods of launch

great ideas all around...

i noticed the 320 grit paper thought...

i am now left to wonder should i go purchase 320 grit paper tomorrow morning for this job. or is a 00 grade fine grit steel wool fine to do this same job?

instead of sanding and using that 2 piece rod, just get the same diameter in a length of music wire from the hobby shop. just my :2:

well i made the purchase of an estes rascal & hi-jinks launch kit

Couldn't wait till Saturday? Join the club! :lol:

I keep the cap on my launch rod whenever possible, basically except right before launch, so no eye pokey outey.

great replies....

i love plastic gorillas methods of launch

great ideas all around...

i noticed the 320 grit paper thought...

i am now left to wonder should i go purchase 320 grit paper tomorrow morning for this job. or is a 00 grade fine grit steel wool fine to do this same job?

Pick up some sandpaper. You will always need it for something. The steel wool will not knock down any ridges on the rod. It will probably clean your microclips real well.

I'm with XRay - pick up a 3 foot long piece of 1/8" music wire from Hobbytown and replace that two piece rod - it'll work a lot better. Get a package of baby wipes to wipe down the rod after launches. You might have to use the steel wool on it occasionally as well. Throwing in a handful of spring-type clothespins is a good idea - you can use those not only to hold the rocket up off the deflector (and you can change its position depending on where you need it, unlike the masking tape) but a second one can be used to hold the launch wires to the edge of the deflector to hold their weight and keep them from pulling out the igniter.

Good luck and have fun. Take pictures (and post them here) when you can. Doesn't matter whether they're starter rockets or not, we love pictures around here! :D

It is a Slippery Slope!! :D Thats why we love it!!

Today it's 320 Sandpaper, tommorow a cabinet to hold all the different sandpapers, sanding blocks and gadgets... A never ending list.

Useful sandpapers grits:

120, 220, 320, 400, 600. Hobbytown will have 1000 and 2000 if you get that crazy about it..

"Paper A weight open coat" is pretty common TYPE, and in 400 and 600 I like it better than the "Black" colored wet/dry sandpaper.

You will become a regular at the home improvment and hobby stores. :handshake:

i try to take this all in... so im going to go get some sandpaper, and masking tape. ill use the masking tape at least the first time. and next time i need to buy engines ill check into that music wire. does that stuff come straight already or do u have to unroll it and straigten it?

do you wipe the launch rod down after every 1 launch or after a few, or a day?

icheck into that music wire. does that stuff come straight already or do u have to unroll it and straigten it?

Music, or Piano Wire : Straight, and usually 3 foot lengths. maybe you will see 4 ft too.

Tractor Supply/Home improvment stores also have carbon steel round rods, I think in 4ft lengths. This extra length will come in handy later, when you move to a 3/16 or 1/4 rod for larger rockets.

Also you might as well get BLUE masking tape, so you can use it for paint masking. the Yellow's adhesive is too strong for that. Blue is expensive... perhaps not that important which type, for now.

i try to take this all in... so im going to go get some sandpaper, and masking tape. ill use the masking tape at least the first time. and next time i need to buy engines ill check into that music wire. does that stuff come straight already or do u have to unroll it and straigten it?

do you wipe the launch rod down after every 1 launch or after a few, or a day?

Don't forget to pick up a package of spring clothespins... just about the handiest tool in rocketry besides a good sharp hobby knife...

You can el guapo ones or you can get higher quality ones... I recommend the higher quality ones with the heavier springs and better wood... the el guapo ones are smaller, cheaper wood, with TINY wire springs that don't even hold the halves together well, let alone actually clamp anything...

Later! OL JR :)

Music, or Piano Wire : Straight, and usually 3 foot lengths. maybe you will see 4 ft too.

Tractor Supply/Home improvment stores also have carbon steel round rods, I think in 4ft lengths. This extra length will come in handy later, when you move to a 3/16 or 1/4 rod for larger rockets.

Also you might as well get BLUE masking tape, so you can use it for paint masking. the Yellow's adhesive is too strong for that. Blue is expensive... perhaps not that important which type, for now.

I've tried the 4 foot mild steel rods from the local home improvement center and/or TSC and they aren't worth messing with IMHO... unless you like sanding the rod every time before you launch.

IMHO you're better off going to the local Fastenal store (or other industrial supply as appropriate to your area) and pick up a couple 4 foot stainless steel rods in 3/16 and 1/4... NO rust and they work great!

If you're going to use one-piece rods, I suggest you pick up a piece of 3/4 inch PVC pipe, (about 4 feet long) a glue-on cap for the bottom end and a 3/4 inch PVC threaded adapter for the upper end with a 3/4 plug to screw into it for the top end-- to store your rods... that way you can keep them together and handy and hopefully don't forget them on launch day... :) Lots of stores now have 3/4 PVC already cut to various lengths-- you may well be able to get a couple pieces of this, say a 3 foot length and a 1 foot length, glue a couple caps on each end, and then get a 3/4 inch female slip-to-thread coupling and a 3/4 inch male slip-to-thread coupling and glue them on the opposite ends of the pipes, and screw them together in the middle... that way you don't have to up-end the pipe when you take the cap off to get your rods out...

Good luck! OL JR :)

i just loaded up the parachutes, hopefully they deploy, i followed the instructions.... its a bit windy out today, im going to try to find a field and launch between wind gusts. i just hope im doing things right. with the rockets parachutes and recovery wads loaded i notice the rocket heads are falling off somewhat easier. im going to stop at the hardware store first....

anyone have any advice about this wind today. i hope im not making a mistake going today.

i just loaded up the parachutes, hopefully they deploy, i followed the instructions.... its a bit windy out today, im going to try to find a field and launch between wind gusts. i just hope im doing things right. with the rockets parachutes and recovery wads loaded i notice the rocket heads are falling off somewhat easier. im going to stop at the hardware store first....

anyone have any advice about this wind today. i hope im not making a mistake going today.

The NAR safety code prohibits launching in winds in excess of 20 mph. I personally avoid launching in winds over 10 - 12 mph. If the winds are in that range, stick to the A motors...the rockets will drift a considerable distance.

i checked the weather for here, it reads wind 16mph-24mph

18mph average. the forecast for tomorrow is predicting wind average at 6mph ranging from 5-10mph...

perhaps i should plan to launch tomorrow?

i was going to take a drive to the next town over and check out their high school.... ive never seen it, i was going to see if theres a football field lol, i hope noone would mind.

Last edited:
If you are going to wrap some masking tape around the launch rod I strongly suggest you get some of the blue masking tape as it will be much, much easier to remove, especially if left on for a couple of days.

GooGone(sp?) will remove any sticky residue the tape might leave behind.

Good luck with your launches.

thanks, im going to make the trip to the hardware store today, and try to find the blue tape and the sandpaper, and see if they sell the strong clothes pins and i think it would b best if i wait till tomorrow to try to launch with these wind gusts.

a couple friends asked me to hang out tonight anyway i suppose i could go hang and then try to get back home by 11 or so tomorrow and have everything i need to go do some launching comfortably.

i checked the weather for here, it reads wind 16mph-24mph

That's a bit on the windy side... But if you can wait until the sun begins to set, you will notice the wind dying down quite a bit. Plus you're not looking up straight into the sun when watching the rockets fly. I like to wait till a couple hours before dusk.

Eventually you'll want to tip the launch rod a bit into the wind so the rocket flies into the wind but then falls back toward you, but a little goes a long way, and there is definitely an art to it.

Jonrocket sells a neat little spring device that fits around a 1/8th inch rod and can hold your rockets at any height you want.

I’m not sure about the rules for posting urls to specific websites and products but if you go to the website you’ll find this item under the “Accessories” heading.

Unfortunately they don’t offer a similar item for larger rods.

16-24mph winds are way to strong for my taste. I like the wind to be under 10 mph; and less than 5 is even better.

nice im going to look into that clip for the launch rod... nice tip about dusk, ill think about that for tomorrow.

off to the hardware store i go.

welp i taped my rocket heads so they wont slip out of the rocket too easily

i sanded the launch rod with 600 grit since that was my only option besides 50 or 100.

also with the time i spent looking at the launch rod i noticed where the two halves connect they create a very slight bend, not much at all, but a very slight angle between the two. is that the reason people go for the music wire?

welp im out for the night, ill b back tomorrow and am excited to try launching tomorrow afternoon :)

nice the wind is much lower today the weather says 4-9 mph averaging 6

so today i will attempt to launch :D

nice the wind is much lower today the weather says 4-9 mph averaging 6

so today i will attempt to launch :D

Excellent! Make sure that when you tape the nose cones...put the tape around the shoulder (ie, the part that slides into the tube)...do not tape the nose cone to the body tube. The tape is to provide a friction fit. Taping the cones on may result in the parachute staying in the body and a lawn dart recovery...

You may want to cut a spill hole in the parachutes. This wll keep the rockets from spinning so much on the way down as well as not drifting so in the wind. The plastic fin can rockets are tough so you can bring them down a bit faster without damage. I'll either cut out the small circle with the estes logo or the large dashed circle. Good luck.

Music wire is indeed usually sold in coils, but at the hobby shop you will find straightened lengths of it. You don't want to try to straighten music wire yourself, unless you enjoy frustration. The music wire rods that are sold in hobby shops have been straightened on a machine.

Music wire is excellent for launch rods but you can also just buy steel rod at your local hardware or home improvement store. There are several types but the kind of plain steel rod that you want for this purpose is cold-rolled steel. Steel is the only commonly-available metal that is stiff enough to be useful for launch rods, so don't bother with aluminum or brass rods if you see them; they will be too whippy. If you happen to see plated steel, get that instead; it will be more resistant to rust. If you are lucky enough to find stainless steel rod, by all means get it. Stainless steel rods are the best choice of all because they don't rust and are resistant to corrosion from the rocket exhaust. Most hardware stores don't stock them, though.

Latest posts

Back