Jetex, Rapier powered gliders...?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've got an old jetex 50 from the 1960s, with new fuel and fuse.
gives a long slow burn, so very suited for Jetex glider.

Jetex disappeared for a while as some naughty people in Ireland used the motor pellets and fuses for different activites, but they are back in production now.

Rapier come in 3 sizes, again long slow burns.

you can pick up plans for the planes on ebay.
boats, cars and planes were made and can be bought on ebay etc.

the original instructions for lighting the fuse said that you were to use a lit cigarette!

Terry is correct, they are not being made currently. I've flown a few back when you could get them (in a balsa U-2) and they were a lot of fun. I still have a couple knocking around the motor box.

kj

Did the Rapiers use the same propellant (guanidine nitrate) as the original Jetex engines? I remember the original Jetex being very popular in the 1960s. I never had any of their engines, but we used Jetex wick as a back-up for the chronically weak carbon-zinc batteries in my Electro-Launch.

About twenty years ago, AeroTech was approached by Polk Hobbies, which had the import/sales rights for Jetex in the United States, to make propellant loads for the Jetex system.

I believe a quote was submitted but Polk never responded. :(

Is there any people that still make engines like these? It would be cool to make some gliders for them!

Back