Jawstand VS Triton Stand - Thoughts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrospace101

That Deceptively Quiet Kid...
Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I'm planning to build a launch pad with my school rocket club. So far, we're considering the Rockwell Jawstand, seeing the "successes" of it, but also the Triton support stand. Has anyone built a launch pad using the Triton support stand as well?

Love to hear your thoughts!
Aary

Last edited:
Hey y'all!

I'm planning to build a launch pad with my school rocket club. So far, we're considering the Rockwell Jawstand, seeing the "successes" of it, but also the Triton support stand. Has any one built a launch pad using the Triton one?

Love to hear your thoughts!
Aary

Do you have an idea of what range of rocket sizes (dia., length) and motor class (low, mid, high, and dia.) you would
launch off this pad?

My local NAR group uses the Jaw stands. We have an 8 ft. 1010-rail on one of the setups. We do limit the motors
to no more than a "J", and we'll put up to a 4" dia. rocket on it. We experimented with "K" motors and saw there
was a little too much movement in the stand for our liking.

The picture shows two of our Jaw stands. The 8 ft. rail in the foreground, and a 6 ft. rail in the background.

IMG_2772.JPG

Last edited:
Do you have an idea of what range of rocket sizes (dia., length) and motor class (low, mid, high, and dia.) you would
launch off this pad?

My local NAR group uses the Jaw stands. We have an 8 ft. 1010-rail on one of the setups. We do limit the motors
to no more than a "J", and we'll put up to a 4" dia. rocket on it. We experimented with "K" motors and saw there
was a little too much movement in the stand for our liking.

The picture shows two of our Jaw stands. The 8 ft. rail in the foreground, and a 6 ft. rail in the background.

View attachment 615838
Nice!
Yep! We're aiming for TARC mostly but we don't plan to make it limited to that, maybe lend it as a HPR pad at local club launches :).

Nice!
Yep! We're aiming for TARC mostly but we don't plan to make it limited to that, maybe lend it as a HPR pad at local club launches :).

The jaw stand is a good all-around launch pad. I forgot to add that you want to pin the legs down
with some nice long spikes. The legs have holes at the bottom. The ones in the picture are 10" long,
with a spiral. The washers and cords are so you can yank them out of the ground.

IMG_0838.JPG

The Triton and Jawstand are highly similar, so I don't anticipate much difficulty if you go with one or the other.

I haven't seen any builds with the Triton, though, so you might be on your own for mods.

The Triton and Jawstand are highly similar, so I don't anticipate much difficulty if you go with one or the other.

I haven't seen any builds with the Triton, though, so you might be on your own for mods.
Agreed. It would make a good thread too.
Ig the main mods are usually with adapting for smaller rails/rods, right? Or are there other (possibly useful) ones?

I've built both.

The base on the Triton is a little larger. The retention on the Triton is metal, rather than rubber cushioned. The Jawstand may have better elevation and tilt control, and better working clamp knobs.

I'd say the Triton stand is a little better for my application, but since these will be modified, it probably doesn't matter. The Triton I built has bolts through the sides to a piece of square SS tubing where the rail is mounted, so the clamping doesn't really matter. The Jawstand I put together uses just the clamp to hold the square tubing/rail.

The jaw stand is a good all-around launch pad. I forgot to add that you want to pin the legs down
with some nice long spikes. The legs have holes at the bottom. The ones in the picture are 10" long,
with a spiral. The washers and cords are so you can yank them out of the ground.

View attachment 615839
Long lag screws and an impact driver works pretty well also.

Removed as not relevant to the question asked.

Last edited:
I've used the Triton tripod stand very successfully for several years for mid and high power launches. The one below is used with a 3m (10') 1010 rail for HPR.

1703248591317.png

Last edited:
Awesome, Thanks guys!

We went ahead and did a jaw stand for the club, but seeing the success of the Triton, I'll consider that for my personal pursuits!

Back