Is white filler-primer a thing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Rory Gin

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know about a white filler-primer paint? There are many types of grey filler-primer but I haven't found it in white yet. So either I first coat with grey, then 2nd coat in white so that the top colours are brighter. OR I use multiple coats of white to fill the spirals, etc.

Good Q, @Lord Rory Gin

I am about to start painting a new rocket and I've been reading up a bit ...

Darrel used Kilz and so did I ... it filled voids and covered grime pretty well and was easily sandable.

Does anybody use White Kilz anymore ?

Is is compatible with today's paints ?

Thanks

-- kjh

I second the desire for a white filler primer. NOT using Rustoleum. I've had good luck with the Duplicolor filler primer, but they don't offer it in white. :(

This is one of the best primers I ever used beside through a spray gun. This is not cheap but is a true high build primer. It is by DI products

1695034505591.png

Where is it sold?
I get it from a local automotive paint supplier. It is around $23 a can. I get it for a few dollars cheaper because of my business and I buy it by the case. I been using this for a couple years. When we wrap cars, sometimes we have to repair areas before they can be wrap and this stuff has worked great.

I used some on Friday to stencil numbers on my trash bin. I didn't have enough of the orange fluorescent

@hcmbanjo has commented that the Rusto filler primer tends to gum up his sandpaper. I have had similar experience. I haven't burned through a can of his preferred Duplicolor FP, but that will be next.

I have used Krylon Acryli-Quick so far, and that system includes white primer. I have liked it over the grey Rusto to uniform the base color for my red and orange paint jobs so far. Haven't done yellow yet, but I have a row of Goblins queued up on the build list.

I've had excellent results with Duplicolor White Sandable Primer. Although I haven't tried it, 3M makes Acryl White glazing and spot putty. I tried buying some from a local NAPA, but they didn't have it. I'll have to check other sources for it.

I've had excellent results with Duplicolor White Sandable Primer.

I've used Duplicolor primers as well, but I never found one in white. Only gray and dark red.
Duplicolor primers (and most paints) are lacquers. Which means they are expensive, stinky, but cure fully in under 30 minute and are a pleasure to work with.
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/filler-primer/
If you are after quality with little regard for price, you can hardly to better than Tamyia paints and primers.
It is available in white, as well as gray and dark red.
Great stuff:

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/manuf...216&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber_a&so=d&man=tam

I use KILZ white primer oil based. I buy it at walmart. It's high build and I haven't had any compatibility problems. Spray it then let it dry for 24hrs. Wear a dust mask when you start sanding, it makes a ton of dust.

I have decent results from various high-build primers - such as this one from Amazon. It is expensive but worth the price.

This is the only filler primer / surfacer I use these days. It's a great product, dries quickly and can be sanded in a couple of hours.

Do shop around as the price varies greatly. The last case I bought $17.50 a can with free shipping over $100.

Last edited:
But how do you get that mottled look against white glassine?

The more I think about this, the more serious a question it is. The mottled look basically tells me that I've sanded off the right amount. The surface is as smooth as it needs to be with the minimum amount of material remaining on it. If I'm sanding white FP on white glassine or a white plastic NC, it's going to be a lot harder to know where I am as far as getting the thing surfaced just right. And I'll still have a slightly mottled appearance, perhaps enough to show through with a yellow top coat. If I'm using the white FP on a non-white BT, then I still have the color mottling.

Just thinking it through, I like my current practice of a grey FP to get the thing surfaced just right, followed by a white, low-build, non-"sanding" primer to get the undercolor uniformed before top coats. I may try @hcmbanjo's practice of going from the sanded FP direct to a white top coat first layer, then other colors. Need to build more rockets to increase my cycle rate of trying different stuff.

Good Q, @Lord Rory Gin

I am about to start painting a new rocket and I've been reading up a bit ...

Darrel used Kilz and so did I ... it filled voids and covered grime pretty well and was easily sandable.

Does anybody use White Kilz anymore ?

Is is compatible with today's paints ?

Thanks

-- kjh
I use Kilz and like it. Better primer than Ace 2X pimer. The downside from good coverage is that it doesn't go far; so it's a bit pricey.

I use Kilz and like it. Better primer than Ace 2X pimer. The downside from good coverage is that it doesn't go far; so it's a bit pricey.
Me too !

One good thing for me about Kilz for me is that my wife is a room re-painter and she's always got Kilz on hand to cover grandkid stuff on the walls.

So it is always on hand and if not, there are no questions when I buy a new can :)

-- kjh

p.s. "Nocturnal Missions", the rocket I'll fly for my level 2 recert attempt is still painted with nothing but grimy, 25-year old Kilz and that's how he will be when I fly him :)

Last edited:
Interesting, it seems the variety is south of the border is 10x what we have in Canuck land. I've never heard of most of these brands that were suggested. I also tried an Ebay order and apparently our Border Services stopped it cold and refused the import. My guess is that it was Hazmat required which is a big NO-NO at the border.
I might have to stick to my go to - grey sandable primer with a coat of white primer on top.

Back