Is this the rumored Estes 1/100 or 1/200 RTF Shuttle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbofireball

Model Rocket Fanatic
Reaction score
This image is from an email just received from Estes. I guess this is the rumored 1/100 or 1/200 RTF Shuttle.

Attachments

• 1:100 Shuttle.jpg
    1:100 Shuttle.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I got the e-mail from Estes, and when I saw it I got super excited thinking this is going to be the builders kit. I wasn't aware of the rumors of a RTF version... that is going to be very disappointing to me. I'm really not a fan of their RTW scale rockets (nothing wrong with them, it's just me).

Looking at the e-mail ESTES sent, you can see the fins that are used on the ESTES NASA SLS Model so I'm pretty sure this is a 1/200 scale.
Wonder if the shuttle will glide or if it will fly as just a rocket no glider.
Please NO Styrofoam Shuttle glider.

I'll reiterate what other have said: I'm hoping for a builder's kit, not a RTF kit.

I like scale model kits, but don't really have an affinity to any of them except the Shuttle (being a child of the 90s and all that...)

If it pays enough of the bills that they can keep developing PSII kits and more motor types, I’m happy. If I see it at a club launch and it makes the owner happy, I’m happier. If it flies well…well, that’s why we’re here, isn’t it? I might buy one then.

Last edited:
damn. I acquired a pranged STS and a 1/200 Shuttle Stack (Lindberg) in hopes of bodging a flyable model together. Guess I don't have to now...

I got the e-mail from Estes, and when I saw it I got super excited thinking this is going to be the builders kit. I wasn't aware of the rumors of a RTF version... that is going to be very disappointing to me. I'm really not a fan of their RTW scale rockets (nothing wrong with them, it's just me).
Its not just you.....Why not have a builders kit for actual rocket enthusiasts?

Its not just you.....Why not have a builders kit for actual rocket enthusiasts?
Probably because we make up a smaller % of their customer base.

We do make up a small percentage (Estes’ distributors are probably their largest customer base) plus the new STS rocket is part of their ongoing scale RTFs - back when the Saturn was announced there were some pretty credible rumors we were going to get a a number of current and historical RTFs in 1/200 scale - including a Soyuz too though not likely that’s happening anytime soon.

Back