Is this our business to be worried about?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
I saw something alarming on a website yesterday that has me wondering if anyone else thinks this is as much of a problem as I do, and if anyone wants to join me in warning the site owners.

At ALLEXPERTS they have a website set up for people to post questions and other volunteer “experts” to post answers (sound familiar?). One of the subject categories is model rocketry. At least one of the self-appointed experts is posting answers that are badly wrong. So what’s the big deal?

People using the posted info are being misinformed. If they actually use this advice, they will very likely have crashes instead of successful flights. This might only result in some beginner rocketeers being discouraged and quitting the hobby, or it might result in an unsafe rocket hitting and injuring someone. I don’t think we need either of these outcomes, or anything in between.

Three of the first four posts that I saw had something that was wrong enough to catch my attention and make me concerned. ALLEXPERTS uses feedback/complaints from other users to determine which “experts” to keep and which to get rid of, but this system requires more than just one of me sending complaints. So, I am asking for a few others to also critique these posts and get this website back on track.

Example 1: Mr. P implies that adding fins to the front of a rocket might improve stability, with which I strongly disagree.

Expert: Todd Panico
Date: 10/17/2007
Subject: rocket fins

QUESTION: I was thinking of adding fins just behind the nose cone apart from the rear fins. Will it increases the stability or simply increase the drag.

ANSWER: Hello Veerendra
- The answer is both. Most likely it will add more drag than the benefit of stability. If the rear fins are well designed and properly applied, they offer all the stability that is needed.

If you like, check this post for yourself at:
https://en.allexperts.com/q/Model-Rocketry-2312/rocket-fins.htm

Mr. P does not qualify his remarks by talking about a configuration that might be over-stable, but (I think) leads most readers to think that adding forward fins is a good thing stability-wise for rockets in general (other than perhaps adding a little drag). Where do they find these people?

Example 2: Mr. P shows more brilliance and even admits that he does not know and is guessing, but does not stop there and shut up. He rambles around (and completely misses an obvious misconception on the part of the questioner) and ends up making a feeble indication to “go ahead and try it,” which I find more than a little alarming.

Date: 8/6/2007
Subject: Estes engine ignition

Question: Todd, I see you are a source for Estes 'A to D' engine rockets, but I'll take a flyer here on a question about and E engine:
My son and I have built a multi stage rocket from Estes parts. It is designed to use D boosters (1 to 3) and have an E engine in the main body, final stage. Can we count on reliable ignition of the E engine from the D booster charge? I ask because I see that E engines require a higher energy electrical ignition system than other Estes engines. Thanks

Answer: Hello Paul,
I would think it would be reliable. Just as any staged rocket, the distance from one engine to the next would be the biggest variable that would affect 'light off'. But, I do not have a lot of experience with staged rockets. My launch sites are not big enough for safe recovery. My only experience with staged rockets are with C engines. I have never had a failure with one stage lighting the next. These have been Estes kits, I have not designed one myself.
On the other hand, Estes does not make an 'E' engine booster, that I know of. There might be a reason for that. Might be an altitude issue, maybe a light off issue or a weight to thrust issue.
So, to answer the question you asked. I don't know :-D
my GUESS would be yes.I would like to hear what you experience if you give it a try.

If you like, check this post for yourself at:
https://en.allexperts.com/q/Model-Rocketry-2312/Estes-engine-ignition.htm

I believe the questioner has confused the launcher set-back distances (for ignition on the ground due to the various impulse classes) with the ability to pyrotechnically stage different motor sizes. This is a completely different subject, and should have been explained to him. Then Mr. P goes on to wonder about Estes E boosters…the “expert” sounds like he might need more help than the questioner. I just love his technical terminology (i.e., “light off” instead of the really-difficult-to-learn “ignition”).

Example 3: Mr. P is almost half on-track with his basic discussion of vehicle weight effects on performance and then blows it by admitting the basis of his knowledge is “trial and error testing” (which gives me warm fuzzies all over). He goes on to completely mis-define the cord (sic) of the fin, apparently confusing the chord of a lifting surface with the half-span. He recommends thinning white glue with alcohol (will those two even mix?) instead of using the much-easier and much-more-readily-available water. And for fins on model rockets (most all of which are solidly SUB-sonic) Mr. P recommends that the leading edges be sanded to a sharp point and fails to recommend anything for shaping the trailing edges.

Date: 5/9/2007
Subject: Fins Design & Pain

QUESTION: Should the root edge of our fin be exactly twice the diameter of our body tube? If so, will it make a lot of difference if the fins are slightly less? Also, what is the absolute best paint to use for altitude purposes?

ANSWER: Hello Sindy,
I have never heard that the root edge needs to be twice the diameter of the body tube. I can't even think why that would need to be. So, in my opinion, slightly less would be fine. The best paint is a high gloss enamel paint. The trick with getting the most altitude is weight. So, you will need to apply as little paint as possible. The more paint the more weight. The reason for a high gloss enamel is drag. Generally speaking, shiny paints are smoother which would have less drag and allow the rocket to fly higher. I have to say in all my trial and error testing rocket designs, I could never measure the minute distance gained by different paints on rockets.
Again, if the highest altitude is what you are after, find a way to reduce weight.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks Todd for your expertise, but just one problem with the whole weight factor. In my grade 11 physics class we have 3 trials. Therefore, I cannot just have a small weight because it accounts for low stablity. How do I maximize my height without making sure my fins snap?

Answer: I am not sure I understand what you mean by small weight accounts for low stability. If your center of gravity (CG) and
center of balance (CB) are correct, your rocket could weigh less than a gram and still be stable. But lets talk about fins. Your fins can be very strong if you cut then right. You want the grain of the balsa to run with the cord of the fin. In other words, the grain of the wood should be parallel with the leading edge of the fin. Not only does this create a strong fin, it gives you a very strong glue bond to the body tube because some of the glue gets soaked up into the fin. You can also strengthen the fin by mixing up some alcohol and white glue(50/50) and paint your fin with it. This will add weight though. You should also sand the leading edge into a very fine edge.
If you don't want to reduce weight, the only other thing you can do is to make sure your rocket flies as straight as possible. Any twisting or wobbling reduces it final altitude. Do you get to choose your engines? If so, choose an engine with a very long delay for it's ejection charge. This way you can coast upwards for more altitude.
Good luck!

If you want to see the original post, check:
https://en.allexperts.com/q/Model-Rocketry-2312/Fins-Design-Pain-1.htm

Clearly, Mr. P has never learned about optimum mass and the effects of weight on coasting flight. He also makes the shaky recommendation to select a motor with the longest possible ejection delay….so it will coast all the way into the ground? (How about checking into motors recommended by the manufacturer?) And what the heck is a center of balance? (yes, I know he meant CP)

I think his final comment (“Good luck!”) is a completely valid one…with help like this, the questioner is really going to need it.

My thinking is this: if there are this many screwy answers in the first few posts I looked at, how badly messed up is the rest of this website and how many newbies are getting advice that runs from bad to disastrous. If we want to attract and keep more new rocketeers, should we try to straighten out these errors?

No, I do not want to “sink” their website (although these people really SHOULD be redirected to TRF) or “tell them off” or anything like that. I don’t have anything against Mr. P, despite all my pithy comments here. I certainly do not aspire to become an “expert” on ALLEXPERTS although I think I will start posting there soon. I just want people with questions to get proper and useful answers, and for them to stay safe in the process of learning more about rocketry. I do want to see these questions answered correctly.

So, am I going to be jousting this windmill alone, or is anyone with me? Or are there too many of these screwball websites out there to try to help them all?

So, am I going to be jousting this windmill alone, or is anyone with me?
I'm with you, PB.

I read through several of his answers, and he is right more often than he is wrong, but he is wrong often enough to raise concerns. On the ones that he got wrong, I gave him a low score and added additional information or corrections to his answers.

He seems like a likeable guy, but I bet that over half the people on TRF have more expertise than he does.

BTW this is my 1500th post, only 10224 behind Jim Flis. If he stopped posting right now, at my preset rate of 1.22 posts/day I will pass him in 22.95 years.

i've just checked out the site. There is a lot of good advice, but there are some howlers.
That's just the problem with the internet, anyone can present opinions as facts.

I'm with you, PB.

Me too.

BTW this is my 1500th post, only 10224 behind Jim Flis. If he stopped posting right now, at my preset rate of 1.22 posts/day I will pass him in 22.95 years.

Go for it :D
:)

I love at the bottom of one of the threads the list of Related Articles:
- Web Graphics and Interface Design
- Custom SUVs
- Creationism

Oh man... LOL

Anyone that has ever read The Handbook of Model Rocketry is more of an expert than this guy. I left the appropriate rating for his answers.

That is just wrong...
I know better than to put fins on the front, and I started rocketry just over a year ago.
That is dangerous to new modelers, old modelers, or anyone! Someone could be seriously hurt. Do these "experts" acknowledge the NAR anywhere in their posts?
:hmpf:

I agree that I don't like disinformation,

But I could employ a large army trying to correct information on R/C airplanes on the internet. The rocket hobby is much smaller. I suggest rating the expert so that he gets the rewards.

I sometimes laugh at this example of the problem on the internet

duty_calls.png

Someone could just as easily come to this website and pick out a large number of answers that have been posted and say the same thing.

Why is misinformation a big deal on that site and not this one???

Andrew Grippo

The latest post on Allexperts https://en.allexperts.com/q/Model-Rocketry-2312/2008/3/Model-Rocket-Advice.htm:

"Todd I thought you should know that there is a guy on a rocketry forum called rocketryforum.com who has gotten his shorts in a bunch because you are giving rocketry advice that he doesn't agree with. Below is a link to the thread where he is 1. Bashing you and your advice and 2. Attempting to get his buddies to come to this site to post negative feedback for whatever you say in an effort to get you shutdown. Truthfully nothing you say or do here is any different that what's done or said on TRF on any given day. It seems that TRF has a small number of know it all’s on the forum who lord over the rest of their user base and (from their actions in this case) it looks as if in their spare time they are willing to attempt to shut down people who doesn’t do it their way. Freedom of speech isn’t on the top of their list. Here is a link to the attack thread. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=43826"

I guess he didn't read far enough in powderburner's post to get to
"No, I do not want to “sink” their website (although these people really SHOULD be redirected to TRF) or “tell them off” or anything like that. I don’t have anything against Mr. P, despite all my pithy comments here. I certainly do not aspire to become an “expert” on ALLEXPERTS although I think I will start posting there soon. I just want people with questions to get proper and useful answers, and for them to stay safe in the process of learning more about rocketry. I do want to see these questions answered correctly."

Sigh . . .

The other guy, James Bell, seems to know what he's talking about.

But if anyone wants to call this guy out, provide a specific example, like the one about the forward fins. Or provide a link to Info-Central, which is where a lot of these questions can be answered.

Someone could just as easily come to this website and pick out a large number of answers that have been posted and say the same thing.

Andrew Grippo

To me, the big difference is that this is a discussion forum, and that is an "expert" resource. The very word "expert" carries connotations that set a certain level of expectation of knowledge and accuracy. In my observations, a questionable answer on TRF is usually followed up with a discussion of the validity of that information, and the questioner should be able to make an informed judgment out of it all. Flat-out wrong answers like the one about forward fins increasing stability will be guaranteed a corrective response on TRF, from what I've seen. But I've been on here only a couple years, so maybe you have a different perspective.

I wish that guy would talk to my kids---they seem convinced I'm just the opposite.

This could easily turn into a pi%%ing contest, in which I don't want to participate (and which the mods here won't tolerate anyway), so let's just let the advice posted on "allexperts" speak for itself. Forget about what I posted here on TRF, just read for yourself and make up your own mind.

I am glad that TRF has the format that it does, because anyone posting incorrect info HERE is pretty often corrected (and quickly). And on TRF you don't have to be a self-appointed know-it-all to participate (which is great for me!).

As far as "allexperts" goes, I **HAVE** applied to become one of their members. I have also submitted comments to try to correct the mistakes made by one of their members, but I have not heard back from them, or seen anything posted online. Maybe they don't care---

And Art:
Point well taken

Edit: Hey, they DID accept my application over on "allspurts" and I even got a question already! Supposedly my answer will not get posted until the middle of the night (that's just their update system) so you guys will just have to wait to see how well I did. But us know-it-alls are supposed to be pretty good at that sort of thing.... (hey, I think I saw that Kevin Wickart is one of their member experts, so I have a high mark to measure up to!)

Hey, Andrew?

Remind me at LDRS that I owe you a beer.

-Kevin

Back