Is rocketry an "obsession"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaaaaaand........... having found this image on the forum, I now don't feel that I'm so bad. In fact, compared to this person, I'm moderating quite well and not at all obsessed....
Hey - I don't have an obsession!.
But I have added about 50 more since then - that photo is almost 6 years old...........
Well, maybe more as I built nearly 70 in those 6 years.

As my Aunt used to say, "Everyone needs a collection, that way your family knows what to get you for Christmas!"

When it comes to fireworks and rockets, my wife says "it's a better hobby than golf."

As for mountain biking, that's probably an obsession. Or maybe a lifestyle. I don't have scars and doctor visits building and launching rockets.

It is, then again, it isn't.
Hit it hard with the long haul in mind or you'll get burned out, finding your house full of 1/2 finished rockets and an angry wife.
Be sure to make space for your Rocket Lab, and a place to store your unbuilt and built rockets.
Learn as you fly, don't try and learn it all before you fly or your brains will turn into scrambled eggs.
Be happy with what you CAN do, but push yourself just a little to improve your skills with each build.
And don't get disappointed and discouraged when things doesn't go just right, or loose a rocket.
Bring in family members with you so they get an understanding of how much fun it can be, and a shoulder to lean on when things don't go so good.
But never, and I mean NEVER, Loose you temper.
Have fun, build often, fly when you can, and welcome to the insanity!!!

Obsession? Evidence is mixed - still married but facing a lot of space pressure in the garage, and I haven't been diagnosed yet. I quit once for 18 months and again later for 15 years - is that a rebuttal?? Still learning lots about rockets and related fields. But it does look more and more like everything is rocket-adjacent. Can "everything" be a hobby??

...Nope..totally not...Totally not obsessed...
At my age at the moment, it's gonna start getting tricky. Saving up for a car is what's next on the list. It's definitely a nuisance but it's the smartest thing to do. It's always just one more purchase...Just one more... It's also healthy to be happy with what you have too I've learned. It makes things easier in the long run. Although it's totally natural to just want and want. We all do. It's human nature. In other words, yes,
I'm obsessed :)

Back