Is a Pro38 I540-15A real?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketRoll

Reaction score
In 2022, I bought a Pro38 I540 advertised as an I540-16A White Thunder. I'm silly for just noticing this now, but the packaging I received says it's an I540-15A White Thunder. The QR code instructions point me to instructions that list 15 seconds as the maximum delay time:

1715653346854.png

But my packaging and this table are the only places I see that state a max delay time of 15 seconds (vs. 16 seconds). The vendor website I bought it from (Apogee) says 16 seconds. The Pro38 website product lists 634I540-16A (and no 634I540-15A). Thrustcurve.org does not list a 15-second delay time as an option for this motor (it lists 16, 13, etc., seconds). Long story short, I cannot find ANY reference to a maximum delay time of 15 seconds anywhere except on the packaging and in the linked instructions.

Has anyone seen a discrepancy like this? Apogee is a large reputable company so I doubt this is "fake"... right? My rocket has an optimum delay time of 16.5 seconds in sims, so I'd really prefer 16 vs. 15 seconds.

Attachments

• PXL_20240514_021530523.jpg
    PXL_20240514_021530523.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
When CAR certified it, it was called a -16A (see http://legacy.canadianrocketry.org/Motor.php?c=3&motor=634 I540WT-16A ) but delays only have to be accurate to within 20% so 15 or 16 are within the error bars. NFPA 1125 — 8.2.7(1)(b) No time delay shall be measured to have a variation greater than 1.5 seconds or 20 percent (whichever is greater, but not to exceed 3 seconds) from the labeled value.

As @SDramstad and @mikec pointed out with a delay that long you should not expect timing precision. Delays just are not precise. They’re tested at a single elevation and the result is supposed to be adjusted to sea level pressure. They’re launched from a higher elevation usually, and to a much higher altitude hopefully. It’s simply not realistic to expect the timing to be very close.

Interesting - I didn't know of that tolerance for the delay timing, but it makes sense. Still, it's curious that the packaging lists a different nominal delay than the rest of the online sources and database. But, I suppose I won't worry about it too much, since the labelled value of 15 seconds is within the ~20% tolerance.

Interesting - I didn't know of that tolerance for the delay timing, but it makes sense. Still, it's curious that the packaging lists a different nominal delay than the rest of the online sources and database. But, I suppose I won't worry about it too much, since the labelled value of 15 seconds is within the ~20% tolerance.
Agreed, this seems like an odd little detail. FWIW, last time I flew an I540 was at LDRS29 in 2010 and my log says I used a 15-second delay, so it's likely not a recent change.

So I think the chances of Apogee having had anything to do with this are nil. And no one is going to go to the trouble of producing a fake reload like they might a Rolex watch and getting the labeling a little wrong...

Absolutely real, The delays have been published differently on packages and have differed from teh published sheets. It is real, treat it with the number on the pack.

Back