Interstage friction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Videolester

Reaction score
Just completing my Estes Loadstar II . A quick question re tension between the booster stage and the 2nd stage elements. How tight should the coupler be when the 2 stages are assembled? The "fit" of the coupler is VERY snug. How tight - or loose - should it be? Thanks for any help!

I'd say, just snug enough you can lift the whole thing (Gently) by the second stage and the booster won't fall off, but give it any kind of a shake and it's off.

You don't want it to be snug enough to delay separation when Stage 2 lights or your whole coupling area will be toast.

If it's "very tight," I'd give the stage coupler a couple passes with extra fine sandpaper.

I'd say, just snug enough you can lift the whole thing (Gently) by the second stage and the booster won't fall off, but give it any kind of a shake and it's off.

You don't want it to be snug enough to delay separation when Stage 2 lights or your whole coupling area will be toast.

If it's "very tight," I'd give the stage coupler a couple passes with extra fine sandpaper.
If you sand the part, can you sand and then "treat" it with something so as not to end up with a somewhat "fuzzy" coupler?

Just completing my Estes Loadstar II . A quick question re tension between the booster stage and the 2nd stage elements. How tight should the coupler be when the 2 stages are assembled? The "fit" of the coupler is VERY snug. How tight - or loose - should it be? Thanks for any help!
See post #15 on this thread by JumpJet, aka John Boren, chief designer at Estes.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...and-dirty-staging-design.136856/#post-1630500
If you sand the part, can you sand and then "treat" it with something so as not to end up with a somewhat "fuzzy" coupler?
I've known people who have used thin CA on a coupler after sanding to get a smooth fit. In fact, that's what this master modeler just did yesterday:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspo...eedle-build-part-5-coupling.html#comment-form

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back