Interesting Experiences!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
Here is a thread where you can share some "interesting" or "unusual" experiences you have had in the hobby. Share a rocketry related story of something that happened to you that was out of the ordinary. Here are mine.

#1: The unintentional drag race: I had a star orbiter on the pad ready to go with a F25W motor but when launching a different rocket, mine went off at the same time! I did win the drag race though! The LCO said he was sorry and didn't know what happened but honestly I liked the outcome much better.
#2: I flew my 2 stage estes loadstar at a rocket launch in brothers Oregon. I was worried that the lower stage would get stuck under some sagebrush when it landed an I would never find it... but NO! As soon as the stage separated, it tumbled though the air and landed unscathed not 2 feet in front of me behind the flight line. I simply walked 2 steps forward and picked it up. That, is NOT normal. But it was awesome....

Anyone else?

When I flew my USPS triangular shipping box rocket the LCO said " how did you pull that off". Had a spider rocket with an old D12 in it. It wouldn't light even with a HPR igniter. I drilled about an 1/8th of an inch into the bottom. Rocket blew up and burned. Several people stood around the burning rocket taking video of the pile of burning cardboard and plastic tubing. I told the LCO about the drilling and when it blew up he said, what did you expect. Well, I didn't expect it to blow up.

Here is a good one. In 1978 I was 22. Me and a guy I worked with shared an apartment on the 3rd floor of a large complex. For you football fans. I lived in Ann Arbor Michigan, Home to U of M. Go Blue. We could here the crowd in the stadium. Back to the story. We had a party. There was a large candle sitting on a stereo speaker. About 2' by 3'. The speaker was on a milk crate. After everyone had gone I crashed in the living room on a futon. I was awaked by smoke and flames. The speaker was fully alight and the milk crate was burning. The wall behind it was on fire. I went into the kitchen and filled a sauce pan with water and started to put the fire out. I grabbed the speaker and through it off the balcony. Then I picked up the melting crate and through it off the balcony. I still have a scare on an elbow where a glob of melted milk crate landed. With the fire out I did what any highly intoxicated person would do. I went back to sleep. My room mate slept through the whole thing. He came out of his room and found me semi awake and the blacked walls, milk crate melted into the carpet and me covered in soot. We didn't even get in trouble. I think the manager was glad I put the fire out. Apartment was fixed in no time. I have a lot of drinking stories. Then this one time at band camp. When I was at Michigan State there was a group of us coming back from a bar. We were walking through the grounds on the way back. A kind of botanical garden. There was a pond. Some of us decided this one guy needed to go swimming. Just as we were getting ready to give him a shove. We hear from out of the dark, you boys weren't planning on going swimming. It was a campus police officer. No sir we are not. We left giggling and climbed some trees on the way back to the dorm. As Jimmy Durante would say, I got a million of them.

Many years ago while I was in college I came home for Christmas break, 300 miles from campus. When it was time to go back for spring semester we had a bad snow/ice storm all the way to Austin. This is rare for Texas but it happens and with 1/2" of ice on the roads you don't go anywhere. My father didn't want me driving 300 miles in ice and snow but we found that buses were running so he put me on Continental Trailways. The bus made it to some little town south of Dallas then decided roads were getting bad so turned around and went back to Dallas. By then roads were too bad to go north of Dallas so I was stuck. I met another guy in the bus terminal who was also stuck so we banded together and rented a hotel room in downtown Dallas. The next day buses weren't running so we went to Greyhound and they said they were going to run so we bought tickets and made it to south of Waco. We somehow missed the bus when it left so we were stuck in Temple overnight. The next morning we met a guy from Sherman who was driving to Austin to pick up someone and take them back to Sherman so we hitched a ride with him to Austin. And sure enough when we got to Austin there was a thick coating of ice on the roads. It took us 3 days to make it 300 miles to Austin.

My father owned an auto repair shop in north Texas and had a friend who had a farm barely into New Mexico, about 300 miles away. He sent us a pickup to overhaul and then I got to drive it back to NM and pick up another one. I was out in the middle of nowhere and the pickup stopped running. I stopped by chance in front of a little barn on the side of the road. After awhile I realized that the distributor had come loose and rotated out of time. I found a piece of bailing wire at the barn, rotated the distributor where I thought it should be and wired it in place. The engine ran good and I made it on to NM.

My dad had bought this old delivery van and we decided to take it on a hunting trip to the Texas panhandle, on a very cold day. The van quit running somewhere in the middle of nowhere. We finally managed to get a tow into the small town nearby, to one of those gas stations that used to exist where there were a couple of bays to pull your car in and get it repaired. This was good except the cashier said there was nobody working who could fix our van. Remember my father owned an auto repair shop and we had already figured out that the engine wasn't getting any fuel, so 2 of us stripped down the front of the engine and tightened the bolt on the front of the cam that holds the eccentric that runs the fuel pump. Basically remove grille, radiator, fan, water pump, timing cover, tighten the bolt, put it all back together and we were on our way.

My wife and I were on a trip to a family member's wedding, on the way home we stopped in a small town for lunch. When we got back in the car it was hard to start. We stopped in front of a little store, on a Sunday, and the car wouldn't restart. I was trying to figure out how to get across town to a Walmart so I could buy a battery when someone came out of the closed store to ask us what the trouble was. Turns out it was a garden store but also a hardware store and they sold car batteries. I had my tools so switched batteries and we were on our way.

I just realized this is in the rocketry and space related ... so my apology for being off topic. Maybe this thread should be moved to the other subforum.

Rocketry related I have fewer interesting experiences.

I was building rockets a long time ago, starting around 1965 or so. Looking for different things to do I decided to try launching a rocket from underwater. I put the igniter in the motor, used a needle to punch 2 small holes through a cardboard disk, ran the igniter leads through the holes and taped the disk to the back end of the motor. I put some glue around the igniter leads to seal them up. We probably just jammed the launch rod into the mud at the edge of a pond, hooked up the igniter leads and slide the rocket down into the water. We launched it very quickly after that and it seemed to fly normally.

One day around 20 years ago I built a small Alpha-sized rocket but left the motor mount out. I put in a bit of nose weight, added fin tip to tip fiberglass, and up in an F72 motor. The only software I had back then was wrasp. The thing simmed to mach 1.4 and 4000 feet in wrasp. I thought even if the software was way off it would still be very fast and high. When it ignited it just disappeared as if it had never existed, and was not recovered. Since then I try to keep my rockets in sight. I should build a similar thing in open rocket and see what it says.

Last edited:
I don't think the thread is strictly rocket stories. And I'm not getting in a car with you. You have some bad car luck.
Here is a story that doesn't involve alcohol. We were stationed at Mtn Home AFB. The first time my wife and her kids went camping in the mountains I decided to go for a walk up a big hill. As I was climbing I saw a odd looking rock. As I was bending to pick it up and with my hand about a foot away I realized it was a rattle snake. I jumped back, drew my .357 and shot it 6 times. It was still crawling so I beat it to death with a stick. Scared me half to death. I took it back to camp so everyone could see what I was yelling to them from the top of the hill. With my arm out stretched it reached the ground. Must have been 5'. I probably wouldn't have bothered it If I had realized what it was sooner.

It was supposed to be rocketry related, but that doesn't matter. Post any story you want. I would put it on another subforum if I knew how but...

Also my day grew up on a farm with rattlesnakes ALL OVER the place. Everyone had to kill them on site for obvious reasons (my dads friend almost died from a bite when he was 5) He still had a clear box with a bunch of rattlesnake rattles as souvenirs. You can literally just twist the rattle right off and keep it. If you kill another rattlesnake be sure to take the rattle because it is really cool to show people!

Ooh, here's another rocket one:
This was about a month ago at a launch. Chuffing in old motors is normal, but what happened her is not really normal at all. The motor chuffed once, but the misfire spurt of flame sent the rocket about 10 feet in the air, off of the launch rod. The rocket started to come back down, but still pointing upward. after about a foot of lost altitude, the motor finally lit midair and the rocket continued on a [almost] vertical flight! I am just amazed that the rocket continued vertically when not attached to the launch rod. I am glad it was a high thrust motor!🙂

Back