Interceptor w/ et

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Howie

Reaction score
Just floating an idea. I'm thinking of making a down scale of the Interceptor,
(BT 50) with an External Tank. Looking at the pictures Sandman and
Micromeister have posted, I've wanted to build a flying version. So I thought
about making the ET have the motor in it, not the Interceptor.

I have pretty much decided on the Sandman version, (with the extra recruits).
I'll off center the motor, (eg. the Estes Master Series Suttle). And put some
clear fins on the recruits. The Interceptor would NOT detach, just go along
for the ride looking good. :D

Think I'm on the right track? Let me know.

Now I'd like to see that!

BTW my Inderceptor downscale is based on a BT-20. A bit smaller.;)

You may already know about these suggestions---if so, ignore--

Remember to try to align the thrust line of the motor so it projects forward through the center of gravity of the assembled flying model. Otherwise you will get some thrust-induced pitching during the motor burn that will try to make your model loop.

You may need to arrange your booster fins toward the bottom of the ET (the side that is away from the Interceptor on top) in order to create a sort of 'center of drag' that is also aligned with the motor thrust line. Kind of an empirical thing, with a good dose of eyeball/judgement thrown in, to try to keep the aerodynamic forces balanced on your model. Otherwise (if you put big fins toward the top) you may get some drag-induced pitching during the entire flight that will also try to make your model loop.

Best position for the motor (in the ET) might be to cut the CRs with off-center holes for the MMT and put the MMT/thrust line up as close as possible to the top (nearest the Interceptor). This might allow you to juggle all the necessary parameters.....

Good luck, and please DO report back with the results of your 'specialty' design!

Back