Ingenuity - the little engine that could,

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s really remarkable and speaks loudly to how useful this little “technology demonstration” has become to the mission.

Now that the technology has been demonstrated, can it be scaled up to a manned mars helicopter?

Yes but it might be able to communicate with Perseverance while within range. Probably will go silent when the batteries can no longer hold a charge. It might have been designed to be able to transmit on solar power alone but I don't know that. Once Perseverance goes out of range, it's bye, bye then anyways. Especially if the solar cells wear out.
Unless a Mars Orbiter can interrogate Ingenuity directly coming overhead on orbit but I don't know if there is that capability available. I mean it would be useless information. An Orbiter could send a digital signal that could be interpreted, "Ingenuity, are you still there?" It could reply digitally, "Yes, I'm still here."
But since it can't fly, no need to try to contact. Good to preserve it.
Some devious 13 to 14 year old kids on the ground might want to fire the motors up full blast, let Ingenuity trash itself due to blade unbalanced and lose contact completely. We were a devious lot back then when I was young!!
Thank heavens folks on the ground are smarter and simply shut the mission down very.............long after it was thought Ingenuity would be dead!
It was thought it would be dead long before but I'm amazed that folks designed essentially a self flying, coaxial reconnaissance helicopter that performed well long after expectations. Well done!!

Sending anything to 214 million miles away and have it actually land on a planet and then function, has to be one of our greatest achievements.

Latest posts

Back