Ginny took flight!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

mjennings

Reaction score
Excited to watch the video when I have time later today!

Funkworks

Reaction score
On my computer, the following video straight from NASA is much less choppy:

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A real and amazing achivement!

Funkworks

Reaction score
Here's a short video comparing the first and second flights;

mjennings

Reaction score
Looking really good. Exciting to see them expanding the flight envelope. I really hope they figure out how to utilize this in future missions!

Marc_G

Reaction score
I've wondered why they plan to abandon Ginny after 5 flights presuming it survives that long. I would think they could extend the testing by having it fly over to Percy's next area of interest and land there. Seems like it could be useful to have it around for overflight purposes as well as expending the testing.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The way I read it, the ingenuity testing is essentially a distraction from the long term mission. Once they've done the flight tests, the entire priority switches over. But it seems like a weird explanation.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Given that there's no major loss if it gets binned in the process, I'm inclined to agree. Maybe there's significantly more to the story.

mjennings

Reaction score
Probably tied to mission budgeting as well. Ingenuity is a tech demonstration, they could continue to expand the flight envelope, but I don't think she's designed to keep up with Perseverance. Even with as simple as it sounds. Plus there is the up/down link sizes that may limit operating both. I'd love to see more flights, but there are likely a lot of limitations we're not aware of.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Probably tied to mission budgeting as well. Ingenuity is a tech demonstration, they could continue to expand the flight envelope, but I don't think she's designed to keep up with Perseverance. Even with as simple as it sounds. Plus there is the up/down link sizes that may limit operating both. I'd love to see more flights, but there are likely a lot of limitations we're not aware of.
This could be a problem.

from Wikipedia

Ingenuity is expected to fly up to five times during its 30-day test campaign scheduled early in the rover's mission. Primarily technology demonstrations,[1][25] each flight is planned to fly at altitudes ranging from 3–5 m (10–16 ft) above the ground for up to 90 seconds each.[1] Ingenuity, which can travel up to 50 m (160 ft) downrange and then back to the starting area,[1] will use autonomous control during its short flights

so a one way flight would max at 100 meters. I am guessing it would then have to recharge one Martian day before it could fly again.

according to htttps://www.space.com/perseverance-rover-first-mars-test-drive

The rover drives with a top speed of .01 miles per hour (.016 kilometers).

the rover is atomic powered, so not limited by solar charging cycles. Not sure the helicopter can keep up.

On the other hand, also from Wikipedia, a previous rover

Opportunity was able to stay operational for 5111 sols after landing, maintaining its power and key systems through continual recharging of its batteries using solar power, and hibernating during events such as dust storms to save power. This careful operation allowed Opportunity to operate for 57 times its designed lifespan, exceeding the initial plan by 14 years, 46 days (in Earth time). By June 10, 2018, when it last contacted NASA,[10][11] the rover had traveled a distance of 45.16 kilometers (28.06 miles).[7]

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is what happens when you accidentally set the alarm for PM instead of AM.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Turns out Ginny is safe and may actually be in the air as I write this, with re-attempt scheduled for 10:46 am ET today.

Latest posts