• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

inexpensive Gorilla 75/6000

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexzogh

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My stupidity is your opportunity!

after using this case for only the second time, I couldn't get the liner out on the field. I took it home, soaked it, but still couldn't get the liner out - Frankly, I was worried about shoving anything that could leave a scratch on the inside (screw driver, etc...).

After a lengthy soaking, I got the bright idea to insert a 1 grain spacer into the case, and "pound" the liner out with a rubber mallet.

Well, you can see the results :>

I managed to wedge the spacer into the case, with bit's of the liner between the case and spacer, guaranteeing I can't seperate the two with any tools I have without risk of ruining the case.

Did I soak it? YES (simple green, ammonia, Lubricating oil....)
Did I heat it? YES (only in oven - I didn't want to ruin the case)
Did I "pull" it? YES (Tried several wrenches and vice grips, including an oil filter wrench which left a lot of scratches on the spacer)

Do I want to use it as a baseball bat against my driveway ensuring that both are ruined? YES... but I have other ways to get out my frustrations :>

If you are industrious, or have a toolbox with something that will help with this mess, you are in for a good deal.

Case is originally $175, and the spacer is $3 = $210

First $100 + shipping (direct cost only) takes it! I can also bring it to LDRS if you want to make fun of me in person.

IMG_20110809_095359.jpg
IMG_20110809_095343.jpg

Last edited:
:y:...

:rofl:

you should bring it to LDRS, charge for attempts to remove.. (winner takes home...)
you know kind of like the car sledge hammer thing..

could be some of your own personal entertainment...:pop:

The answer is a forward closure.

Remove o-rings. flip upside down, and use a dowel to drive the closure from the opposite end. You have to periodically flip the case over and knock the closure out, to free up the junk that gets caught underneath it.

Eventually you'll get to where the spacer is and start it moving. You'll still need to periodically pop the closure free and clean up.

FWIW, soaking a case just makes them stick worse. Trust me, I learned that one the hard way.

-Kevin

may cost 20.00 worth of change, i wonder if it was soaked, if you could take it down and chew through it with a pressure washer..???

H_rocket - yes, I do have the nozzle, I wasn't planning on selling it (or the closures).

ClayD - good thought on the forward closure, but frankly given my luck, that seemed like throwing good money after bad, as I would find a way to ruin the forward closure :>

Oh what the heck... I'm in for the challenge.

PM me with payment information and I'll post the results when I'm finished.

John

Last edited:
Next time, buy a 3/8" or 1/2" aluminum rod, cut one end to an angled point and use that to hack the liner (wont damage an anodized case)

Back