Igniters in CTI Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since CTI is having problems with the BP pellets in some of their smaller motors, is it a legal modification to be able to simply pop out the pellet from the top grain and use a more conventional igniter (i.e. pyrogen dipped ematch)? I know that CTI recommends cutting the pellet in half, so I would think that this is a natural extension of that...

Since CTI is having problems with the BP pellets in some of their smaller motors, is it a legal modification to be able to simply pop out the pellet from the top grain and use a more conventional igniter (i.e. pyrogen dipped ematch)? I know that CTI recommends cutting the pellet in half, so I would think that this is a natural extension of that...

I have no problem with it at a Tripoli launch.

Just a note that I've used "normal" igniters on occasion in CTI motors over the years. Never removed the pellet.

In other words: though a dipped pyrogen igniter and a Pyrodex/BP pellet may be redundant, I've never personally experienced a motor over pressurization from doing so. So I've never bothered removing the pellet.

FYI,but I'm sure you already know. The CTI pellets are actual BP, not Pyrodex. That might be the issue. I too have never had an issue.

Afaik problems have only been reported with Pro38 1g motors, are you using those?

The CTI notice explicitly says that only Pro38 is affected, so I don't think this is necessary for smaller diameters. Strictly speaking if the manufacturer doesn't tell you to do it it's a motor modification.

Latest posts

Back