If you could fly or go for a ride in any air craft what would you chose?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dork_Vader

Reaction score
Me and a friend were talking about this topic earlier.

I would opt for a F-22 or any air craft that has advance thrust vectoring systems. Mostly for the aerobatics aspect.

Don't get me wrong if would be amazing to go for a ride in a U-2, SR-71 or Foxbat.. But those are all designed for one thing VERY high flights and they aren't real maneuverable.

Space craft are off limits mostly because I highly doubt any of us could ever scrap together $22 million for a ride to space. But saving up $25-45 thousand for a ride in a MiG is possible. (Don't burst my bubble yet).

So far to date I got to go for an aerobatics ride in a Bi-plane. That was experience..

The other was there is a flying museum of a b-17 it goes from to town. Well one year it was in Visalia and they were selling rides for about $500. I couldn't let it pass me by.. So I bought one. After purchasing it they inform you that it's not approved by the FAA to fly but the FAA makes an exception because it is a historical item. They go over the safety with you inform you not to pull on any exposed wires. Walking from the rear to the front was interesting there is a fairly narrow I beam in the bomb bay. They said if you dropped anything just wait until we landed to get it don't want to open the bomb bag with you on it! It was VERY loud even with ear plugs.. You could smell the exhaust in the cabin as you flew. Landing was surprisingly smooth.

It was an interesting to get some idea of what crews of those went through.. I still can't imagine what it would have been like to be in that while flying through flack or having enemy fighters shoot at you.

U2. I think you can still arrange rides in them? I doubt my body could handle it.

Rockets are not aircraft, so setting aside those,

I'd take either the P-51 Mustang or the P-38 Lightening.

Assuming I'm flying and get to play with targets, on a range, an A-10. :)

-Kevin

The disney movie: "Flight of the Navigator" space craft. I know sc-fi and doesn't exist. Still would b cool!:cool:

A Grummann G-21 Goose flying in the arctic. I considered building a scale R/C replica but was told it would be too difficult for a novice to fly

Mig 29, x15, sr71, F14

WAY too many to list....
I would literaly hand over a testi for an F5 ride...

Assuming I'm flying and get to play with targets, on a range, an A-10. :)

-Kevin

Since it is a one seat airplane, you'd HAVE TO BE flying! :wink:

I've gotten to be around just about everything in the USAF fleet in the past 20 years, and I've been lucky enough to ride in the F-16 twice. That said, I think my vote would have to go to the one airplane that retired before I got to work it...the SR-71. A black sky at 75k+, wearing a space suit and Mach 3 would just be an E-ticket ride.

Last edited:
Northrop N-9M
View attachment 112780
I got to know the pilot of the N-9 and he related it was a blast to fly-you could just see how much fun he was having at airshows with his plane. Awesome to watch and yea- I'd love to ride in that baby!
Targets on the range?-A-10?? Hell yeah, Kev! "It slices, it dices, it chops and makes delicious salads and lunchmeat" (of your targets!!)
P-51 and P-38-on my bucket list!

PT-17 story.
Friend of mine owned several PT-17 Stearman Biplanes. We were at Concord, NH airport airshow in the late 80's. The Stearman owner ask if I wanted a ride back home, I said yes of course. He handed me a skull cap and goggles, I put them on, then I put on my Baseball cap over the skull cap. Big mistake. As we started to take off the cap flew off and lodged itself on a tail wire. The pilot tried quite a few aerobatic maneuvers to dislodge it to no avail. BTW, he was not qualified to do such maneuvers. It was shall we say quite an interesting ride home, short, sweet and hairy. When we landed, the pilot jumped out, grabbed the cap, threw it at me and said "Hang on to that hat kid, that's one lucky cap."

PT-17_Kaydet.jpg

Gimme this one!
3670096161_63c2bcc5d5_b.jpg

Without a doubt a F-14 Tomcat off a carrier. Always been my favorite fighter since it's inception. Being a former skydiver I got to ride in a lot of different aircraft including the Beech 18, and a Caribou. Also been in a Stearman, a glider and rode in an areobatics plane, dont remember what kind, but the pilot did all the cool stuff you see at airshows and I kept my cookies.

I would love a ride in this weird thing...30 feets above sea level at 300 knots...
842.jpeg

Last edited:
Rockets are not aircraft, so setting aside those ...

I think SpaceShipTwo counts as an aircraft - at least part of the time. And, I'd love to win the lottery and book a seat. :)

On a realistic level, long before I heard the phrase "bucket list," I had made plans to fly in as many different types of aircraft as I can. So, far I've flown in small prop planes, a glider, and commercial jets. I have a gift certificate for another glider flight. After that, I'd like to ride in a balloon, an open-cockpit bi-plane, and a helicopter even if they are just quick touristy things.

I've been close to getting a chance to fly in military aircraft a number of times. Years ago, I was supposed to fly in C5-As a couple of times, but got bumped from the trips both times. Working at Ft. Rucker I was promised a ride in one of the helicopters we were instrumenting, but that never happened. At Norfolk, I almost arranged a ride in a reconnaissance aircraft (a P-3, I think). Now, I'm working with people who drive tanks and ride in HMMWVs, so I don't think I'll get any more chances at riding in a military plane. :)

-- Roger

As an aside ... I'm scared of heights and I don't enjoy roller coasters and other fast amusement park rides. But, if the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds offered my a ride in one of their jets, I wouldn't hesitate! :)

-- Roger

Back