• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

I was going to do a build thread...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
But I got both lazy and carried away at the same time

SO, worked on a few rockets while home for a Christmas vacation.

The first is the NewWay Dare to be Square. A spool like rocket but fitting with their square tubes it is square "spool".

The kit comes with 5 pieces - motor tube, motor block, square launch lug, square plywood plate, and decal.
Well, it also comes with instructions and a bit of sandpaper....

Glue the block into the tube, the lug onto the tube, and then this into the square plate.

When I first saw the kit, I thought the plate was laser etched - turns out it is a decal. I wanted to keep the wooden look so I did a couple of coats of clear, added the decal, and then a few more coats of clear.

Overall, a quick and easy build

Dare 2B Square.jpg Dare 2B Square 2.jpg

Last edited:
The next rocket has a few more parts....

Rebel John Pieces.jpg

:y: :y: :y:

This is the Rocketarium Rebel John

However, once you get into it the build is really quite simple

All of the pieces fit together real well. I did deviated from the directions a bit. First I dry fitted the rings and vertical pieces together on the body tube. I then removed the assembly from the tube. I would then remove one vertical piece. I used 30 min epoxy to give me some time. Using a micro brush I put epoxy in the slots and a slight dab on the piece where the tab would extend. I then reinstalled the piece and moved to the next one. After all four vertical pieces were attached I held them together with tape to wait for the epoxy to dry. One thing I did learn is even with 30 min epoxy, trying to apply it after about 8 min was useless - it was already starting to set up.

There are 4 main sections - nose cone, two body parts, and fin can assembly. I followed the same procedure for all four parts.
I did find that the fins (I think due to their size) were a bit floppy. As such my alignment was a tad off. I would suggest when assembling the fin can to have its mating body section on the tube to help with the alignment (which is actually what the directions call for).

The motor mount is standard assembly and there are two body tubes that glue together with a coupler.

The two body sections and fin can get aligned and glued to the body tubes and you are done!

So before I knew it, it was all assembled with no real build steps. Still need to prime and paint

Rebel John Assy 2 (1).jpg Rebel John Assy 2.jpg

Actually also needed to install the shock cord. You get a standard trifold cardstock, some Kevlar, and elastic cord. You are supposed to embed the Kevlar into the trifold and then mount it so it is recessed at least 2 1/4" due to the large coupler for the large nose cone. I am going to have to use a dowel to position the trifold. I would suggest getting a longer piece of Kevlar and tying it off the motor mount instead. Trying to do the trifold so deep into the tube is difficult, plus I am concerned with the Kevlar tearing through the trifold. My motor mount is already installed though. I think I may skip the Kevlar and add a longer piece of elastic.

Sweet mother man ,that`s a small fortune worth of CRs !

This is definately one of the most different builds I`ve seen so far ,absolutely COOL.

I imagine the parts are lite ply ?

You have to hand it to Marc @ Rocketarium ,he has some very very nice kits !

Thanks for sharing

Paul t

Actually also needed to install the shock cord. You get a standard trifold cardstock, some Kevlar, and elastic cord. You are supposed to embed the Kevlar into the trifold and then mount it so it is recessed at least 2 1/4" due to the large coupler for the large nose cone. I am going to have to use a dowel to position the trifold. I would suggest getting a longer piece of Kevlar and tying it off the motor mount instead. Trying to do the trifold so deep into the tube is difficult, plus I am concerned with the Kevlar tearing through the trifold. My motor mount is already installed though. I think I may skip the Kevlar and add a longer piece of elastic.

Get a piece of 100lb Kevlar, tie a slip knot in one end, tie the other end to the elastic. Loop the slip knot around the aft end of the MMT tube and drop the elastic through the tube and out the front of the rocket. Easy to inspect and replace as needed. Keep the trifold, handy cardstock for reinforcing this or that.

Mike

Back