I say there's life on Venus

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
Well, let's see. On the one hand we have an outrageous sounding claim made by one researcher, cautiously repeated with the addition of words like "might" and "maybe" "would be" by some other, more experienced and better qualified others.

On the other hand we have some reasonable sounding refutation of these claims based on, as the critic himself stated, one afternoon of Googling, which led to his laughing, derisive dismissal.

Now wait, I shouldn't be making the "just some guy on the internet" argument, because he says he knows chemistry. And also because he got one right before, and because some other people who have nothing to do with the present topic foolishly think that being rich makes Elon Musk right.

Yes, experienced and well qualified experts have been wrong before, often due to excessive optimism regarding their hoped-for discoveries. I'm skeptical of the life-on-Venus claim here.

I'm way beyond skeptical of this guy-on-the-internet's supposed busting of said claim. I watched the whole video, and I regret spending a perfectly good half hour on it that I could have more productively spent playing Freecell.

I'm not saying hes the first source I'd go to but he does have a PhD in chemistry and works at an organic chemistry research institute and has been published for original chemistry research. He makes a hobby of busting outrageous claims on YouTube and if you look at his video list, its quite impressive. I don't agree with everything he says but I don't have the knowledge to refute it either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Mason

A research group from the University of Washington tried to recreate that conditions and detected that the element the UK team found in Venus clouds wasn't phosphine at all. They suppose that it's sulfur dioxide present in Venus's atmosphere, so there's no life on Venus. At least, scientists haven't proved it yet.

I'm waiting for the conclusive "evidence" that there is 'life' outside our plant sphere, and this will likely be just some form of bacteria or microscopic.. And the nay-sayers will then chime in that this is not "life"; that we are to prove 'sentient' life (to disprove various beliefs)...

Back