Why Alien Life Will Be Robotic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Why Alien Life Will Be Robotic
If life off Earth exists it has probably transitioned to machine intelligence.
OCTOBER 22, 2015

https://nautil.us/issue/29/scaling/why-alien-life-will-be-robotic
On the following simulation, it's a case of "Thank you, Captain Obvious..."

Luck Played a Major Role in Keeping Earth Fit for Life
28 Feb 2021

https://scitechdaily.com/luck-played-a-major-role-in-keeping-earth-fit-for-life/
Previous computer modeling work on Earth habitability has involved modeling a single planet: Earth. But, inspired by discoveries of exoplanets (those outside of our solar system) that reveal that there are billions of Earth-like planets in our galaxy alone, a Southampton scientist took a novel approach to investigating a big question: what has led Earth to remain life-sustaining for so long?

To explore this, Professor Tyrrell tapped into the power of the University of Southampton’s Iridis supercomputing facility to run simulations looking at how 100,000 randomly different planets responded to random climate-altering events spread out across three billion years, until they reached a point where they lost their habitability. Each planet was simulated 100 times, with different random events each time.

Having accrued a vast set of results, he then looked to see whether habitability persistence was restricted to just a few planets which were always capable of sustaining life for three billion years, or instead was spread around many different planets, each of which only sometimes stayed habitable for this period.

The results of the simulation were very clear. Most of those planets which remained life-sustaining throughout the three billion year period only had a probability, not a certainty, of staying habitable. Many instances were of planets which usually failed in the simulations and only occasionally remained habitable. Out of a total population of 100,000 planets, nine percent (8,700) were successful at least once – of those, nearly all (about 8,000) were successful fewer than 50 times out of 100 and most (about 4,500) were successful fewer than 10 times out of 100.

The study results suggest chance is a major factor in determining whether planets, such as Earth, can continue to nurture life over billions of years. Professor Tyrrell concludes: “We can now understand that Earth stayed suitable for life for so long due, at least in part, to luck. For instance, if a slightly larger asteroid had hit Earth, or had done so at a different time, then Earth may have lost its habitability altogether.

Why Captain Obvious? An excellent book first published 21 years ago:

Rare Earth: Why Complex Life is Uncommon in the Universe

https://www.amazon.com/Rare-Earth-Complex-Uncommon-Universe/dp/0387952896/
And on the use of RF-based SETI to find technological civilizations. Forget it IMO. Years ago I saw a question asked on-line of one of the premiere RF SETI guys: "How far away could we detect our own RF emissions using our current technology?" The answer was one light year. ONE measly light year.

Now, consider that it is highly likely that we are not the intelligent species which has been around the longest. Imagine our technology, assuming we're still around, just 1000 years from now. Then consider some other intelligent species which has been around for 1, 10, 100, 1000 million years longer than us. I've seen a claim which is based upon fact that even we will soon not be able to hear our own RF leakage even a mere one light year away because of advanced modulation methods like frequency hopping spread spectrum and the use of fiber optics. Imagine what they'd be using, possibly something currently undetectable to us.

So, basically, a technological civilization would have to stupidly high power directional beam their presence, scanned in every direction, into an "unknown neighborhood" where some other far more advanced civilization may see them as lowly, inferior forms of life to be studied with as much care as we study lab rats. And for even that to happen, the timing has to be just right, not just merely looking in the right place at the right time, but at just the right time where both civilizations were using basically the same technologies known by both.

So, I am not the least bit surprised that we have "heard" nothing and don't think that proves there's no one out there. I think that atmospheric gas via spectroscopic analysis will be the best way to detect life elsewhere, not only our form of life, but technological life although as technology becomes more advanced perhaps any technology-induced atmospheric effects might become less pronounced - for example, fusion power eliminating CO2 emissions.

So we either get Fred Saberhagen's "Berserkers" or Alastair Reynolds' "Inhibiters".

I've always felt that if there is something out there it would almost certainly have to be some form of machine intelligence, in part because nobody yet has shown me any evidence, even a mathematical formula along the lines of E=MC^2, that FTL travel is a possibility.
So getting around the Milky Way at ten to twenty percent the speed of light is going to take decades even between the closest stars.

Of course this assumes that a technologically advancing civilization can last long enough to develop the science and engineering to even do the above.
Read "The Great Filter".

Not important, don't even want to up my post count, but something I always thought of - Advanced life, we would not even recognize it as such. We've had 15,000 years. Give a civilization a million, and we would not recognize them as "life" of any form. Just my opinion.

I've always felt that if there is something out there it would almost certainly have to be some form of machine intelligence, in part because nobody yet has shown me any evidence, even a mathematical formula along the lines of E=MC^2, that FTL travel is a possibility. So getting around the Milky Way at ten to twenty percent the speed of light is going to take decades even between the closest stars.
No O2 or organic nourishment needed, no zero-G toilets, no negative zero-G effects, radiation hazard negligible and manageable, swappable repair modules, etc. I, for one, welcome our robot overlords. Might get rather harsh as it did in the excellent film, "Colossus: The Forbin Project."

Elon Musk: Humanity Is a Kind of 'Biological Boot Loader' for AI

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-humanity-biological-boot-loader-ai/

Of course this assumes that a technologically advancing civilization can last long enough to develop the science and engineering to even do the above. Read "The Great Filter".

This guy does good stuff:

Well, there was an old joke about the apes being upset at our theory that we were ascended from them. "Descended, maybe. When did you ever see a drunk monkey beating up his wife?" Which could be extended to hundreds of other depravities...

Well, there was an old joke about the apes being upset at our theory that we were ascended from them. "Descended, maybe. When did you ever see a drunk monkey beating up his wife?" Which could be extended to hundreds of other depravities...
I read about a fairly recent study that proved that warring between Chimp troops [amazingly, that's the proper term for a tribe of them] isn't human-influence related. I don't recall why they thought it was.

In some documentary I saw long ago about apes or human evolution, don't recall which, they asked a dude who studies and is the world authority, along with his wife, on orangutans about whether he liked them and that's why he studied them. Of our closest relative he said they were nasty, vindictive, petty creatures and that, no, he didn't like them. I've looked for that hilarious bit of honesty online, but have never found it. It wasn't the answer the questioner was expecting.

On my "apes with car keys" designation, I stole that from the very funny, quirky sitcom "Northern Exposure" where the character Ed Chigliak, a major film buff and aspiring film maker, was talking, in a dream I think, to Woody Allen's mom where she was giving him tips. She said to look upon his audience as "Monkeys with car keys" which I have corrected to "Apes with car keys."

Hmm, so you're saying the descent started a step or two before homo sapiens? ;)

ETA: That was to Winston, Funkworks got in there ahead of me...
Yep. We've just further perfected the consequences of the remaining nasty parts. More thorough elimination through technology. We're still basically apes, but with a more developed outer layer of our layer-cake brain. The inner layers are still there.

It's neat the Drake equation and Fermi's Paradox are being updated with data.

On artificial life, anybody read the selfish gene? Apply it to Von Neumann machines and back to Alastair Reynolds. I hope no self replicating machines have ever been launched 😵

But more seriously, could it be that the great filter is the ability to modify the environment? On the whole, agriculture and the industrial revolution have greatly increased the population, standard of living, and the knowledge level of the human race. At the same time, overpopulation and the requirements for food, energy and waste disposal increase.
What happens if the ecosystem crashes? Current estimate is 10-13 billion people will push it over. All that 💩 in the sea. If the seas crash the O2 goes.
Going to be the greatest challenge, cleaning up and also persuading people that a population of 13 billion isn't good.
All things in moderation...

I think man will create AI; AI will become conscious and then create itself even better than we created it; man will bow down before AI and worship it as GOD, because AL will be able to do everything and anything.... ALL HEIL AI

Wow...a lot of good thoughts here...I was once told by a visiting alien that life on this planet was a result of a toilet dump....ship flew over, dumped it’s sewer contents and split. The rest is evolution I guess...

I think alien life might arrive here as bacteria on the alien version of a Swift launched from some distant planet that escaped their atmosphere and has drifted ever since...

Back