I need help.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow999BR

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have to make a rocket and I have to follow some rules to the letter, if you can help me, I only managed 290 meters apogee, but I wanted to achieve more, if you can help me with this I would be grateful

1 - This rocket have to reach 300 meters (984 feet) of apogee
2 - The engine required is D11 (Manufacturer: Estes)
3 - Minimum mass is 200g (0,44 lb)
4 - The rocket must have stability within the range of 1.5 and 2.5
5 - Load a cylindrical (empty space) cargo compartment with an outer diameter of 5 cm and 4.8 cm of internal diameter and 20 cm of length within which there must be nothing. This one cargo compartment must be between the hood (rocket tip) and the engine, and is intended to house possible scientific experiments, so the minimum length of the rocket is 27.0 cm, as the motor is 7.0 cm long
6 - The gables must not extend beyond the rear end of the tube containing the engine
7 - The motor must be positioned entirely inside the tube that contains it and nothing else can be behind the engine. The engine must not be inside the load compartment
8 - No part of the rocket may be in front of the tip (or hood) of the rocket.

It would be good to show what you've tried so far, unless you are expecting someone here to just do your whole assignment for you.

Is the D11 really the selected motor? Estes hasn't manufactured those in a while. Is this a rocket you're going to build and fly, or is the ORK file the end product?

Hello guys, I have to make a rocket and I have to follow some rules to the letter, if you can help me, I only managed 290 meters apogee, but I wanted to achieve more, if you can help me with this I would be grateful

Do you have a picture, or better yet an OpenRocket simulation model, of the rocket that you have build so far?
If you want to optimize something, we need to know what you've build and flown already.

https://openrocket.info/
1 - This rocket have to reach 300 meters (984 feet) of apogee
2 - The engine required is D11 (Manufacturer: Estes)
3 - Minimum mass is 200g (0,44 lb)
4 - The rocket must have stability within the range of 1.5 and 2.5

This is all easy, basic stuff.
D11 is a 24mm engine, so a super-primitive simulation (link below for starters, but I strongly recommend you build OpenRocket model instead) gets you to 232+ meters.
1621487710076.png

https://www.thrustcurve.org/motors/guide.html

5 - Load a cylindrical (empty space) cargo compartment with an outer diameter of 5 cm and 4.8 cm of internal diameter and 20 cm of length within which there must be nothing. This one cargo compartment must be between the hood (rocket tip) and the engine, and is intended to house possible scientific experiments, so the minimum length of the rocket is 27.0 cm, as the motor is 7.0 cm long
6 - The gables must not extend beyond the rear end of the tube containing the engine
7 - The motor must be positioned entirely inside the tube that contains it and nothing else can be behind the engine. The engine must not be inside the load compartment
8 - No part of the rocket may be in front of the tip (or hood) of the rocket.

Where are you from?
I've never heard of any part of a rocket being described as "gables". Are we talking about fins? Something else?
Tip or hood is the nose cone, right?

HTH,
a

Probably Europe because he says hood instead of bonnet and used comma for decimal point. Gable is old French for facade or front. It’s often a triangular wall.

The rocket needs like a BT-70 for the cargo. Needs to minimize length for altitude on a D motor. The cargo needs to be 20cm and rocket minimum 27cm. I gave it a try in OR and got half way there.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture, or better yet an OpenRocket simulation model, of the rocket that you have build so far?
If you want to optimize something, we need to know what you've build and flown already.

https://openrocket.info/

This is all easy, basic stuff.
D11 is a 24mm engine, so a super-primitive simulation (link below for starters, but I strongly recommend you build OpenRocket model instead) gets you to 232+ meters.
View attachment 465140

https://www.thrustcurve.org/motors/guide.html

Where are you from?
I've never heard of any part of a rocket being described as "gables". Are we talking about fins? Something else?
Tip or hood is the nose cone, right?

HTH,
a
I'm from Brazil,
and yes, the "gables" are the fins

It would be good to show what you've tried so far, unless you are expecting someone here to just do your whole assignment for you.

Is the D11 really the selected motor? Estes hasn't manufactured those in a while. Is this a rocket you're going to build and fly, or is the ORK file the end product?
I will not build, it is just a goal I want to achieve, follow an attachment of what I achieved

Attachments

• imagem_2021-05-20_091723.png
    imagem_2021-05-20_091723.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 25
There are a few common steps to improve your simulated altitude:
  1. Set the finish of all components to "Polished"
  2. Make the fins thin, with profile set to "Airfoil"
  3. Use the optimizer:
    1621514746732.png

You're version is very basic and is in for a rough landing. It's basically an aerial torpedo with maybe 154g of C4. Here is my attempt with a reasonable expectation of returning the payload safely to the ground but will only go half way. The optimization ripped the rocket apart so not sure if it can be practically done, or at least modeled in OR. This was a fun exercise so appreciate the challenge.

Attachments

• RGK.ork
    2 KB · Views: 10
You're version is very basic and is in for a rough landing. It's basically an aerial torpedo with maybe 154g of C4. Here is my attempt with a reasonable expectation of returning the payload safely to the ground but will only go half way. The optimization ripped the rocket apart so not sure if it can be practically done, or at least modeled in OR. This was a fun exercise so appreciate the challenge.
Sorry for the delay of an answer, but my objective is just to reach the highest apogee possible

Back