Need help in re-starting using RockSim - I have a mental block...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trialsguy

Reaction score
I have some kind of a "mental block" in learning the simplest things in CAD systems, including RockSim. [I learned designing/drafting with pencil, paper and a t-square in the middle of the last century]. :eek:|

So I'm building a simple 24mm booster to attach to my slightly modified Estes Wizard rocket. I'd like to put this design in RockSim to check the stablilty, and optimize the fin size. Shown below is what I have so far. As you can see, I'm having difficulty understanding how to place the "pieces" or components of the booster in the correct positions. The RS pic shows all the pieces, but they are in all the wrong places. How do I build this correctly in RS?

Side note: I realize that this rocket could easily be overpowered for the size of any launch site I have access to. I plan to use lower power engines until I want to send it away to the heavens (or the next county). ;o)

Thanks for any help, or maybe links to videos. The Apogee/RS tutorial videos are great, but I don't want to spend a couple of days wading through them all to just answer this simple question.

Thanks.

Attachments

• wiz boost IMG_7824 (1).JPG
    wiz boost IMG_7824 (1).JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • wiz boost pic IMG_7825.JPG
    wiz boost pic IMG_7825.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
  • wiz boost RS IMG_7823 (1).JPG
    wiz boost RS IMG_7823 (1).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
Nevermind - I got it. I just had to change the order in which I added stuff. Except, I was not able to include the 2" of BT-20 in the transition area to the top of the booster engine. Good enough.

Nevermind - I got it. I just had to change the order in which I added stuff. Except, I was not able to include the 2" of BT-20 in the transition area to the top of the booster engine. Good enough.
Apogee posts a lot of videos on youtube. Have you scanned through those to see if there is anything there to help you?

I haven't tried Rocksim but I do mess around with Open Rocket. I like to find a kit somewhat similar to my own design and then modify the components to match my design, that way I don't have to generate a sim from scratch.

Back