I need a plastic BT-80 nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the shipping is pricey, but that cone is nice and AFAIK it is the only plastic cone out there with this particular shape.

The plastic cone weighs 98.8 grams, and a similar cone in balsa will weigh about 80 grams +/- 15 grams, depending on the density of the balsa (at least according to my calcs). But the plastic is ding/dent resistant.

Greg

Even with Semroc's free shipping, an equivalent balsa cone from them is going to cost you the same as the plastic cone and shipping from Apogee, or more.

I just got one of those (the apogee one). Mine weighs 3.10 ounce compared to the advertised 3.485. The finish on it isnt great, somebody cut too deep when they trimmed the mold lines. It does seem really durable, almost excessively. I expect it to handle a lot more abuse than thin-walled bt80 tube.

Last edited:
Aerotech makes a 2.6" 5:1 ogive cone. The prices that I have found doing a search come up a few $ less, but the shipping is still around $8. Maybe if you combine it with other things the shipping would make better sense. If you run an internet search for "2.6 nose cone" you will have several vendors to choose from.

I think your looking for an estes PNC-80K Nosecone. I was under the impression they were still available on request from Estes. I know I ordered one a couple years back as a replacement to be used on my Optima. I seem to recall is was about 9 bucks at the time.

Aerotech makes a 2.6" 5:1 ogive cone. The prices that I have found doing a search come up a few $ less, but the shipping is still around $8. Maybe if you combine it with other things the shipping would make better sense. If you run an internet search for "2.6 nose cone" you will have several vendors to choose from.

Keep in mind the nose from Aerotech is for thick walled tubes. I say stay with the Apogee nose cone. It's a little more, but it's the correct one and they are quality items. I bought several from them and always been pleased.

I think your looking for an estes PNC-80K Nosecone. I was under the impression they were still available on request from Estes. I know I ordered one a couple years back as a replacement to be used on my Optima. I seem to recall is was about 9 bucks at the time.

Wonder if they still do that. Never understood why they stopped selling them solo

Yes that's the site. If you scroll down you will see the nose cones they are selling. Why don't you like them? You wanted a place to buy BT-80 nose cones well there you go.

The site just looked really......well.....basic. But if you guys have used them and trust them, that's good enough for me. Thanks.

Wonder if they still do that.

FWIW, the last time I checked, Estes told me they did not have the parts to sell separately. Seems like they now only order these in "kit" form, pre-packaged with bagged kits. I don't think they stock anything in Penrose. I get the impression that all they have on hand in Penrose are the development parts that they are working with.

Never understood why they stopped selling them solo

Part of the "Barry" legacy; he couldn't make enough profit from part sales so he discontinued them. Apparently only wanted to make sales by the thousands to big retailers so Estes could make big bux on each deal, didn't want to maintain a mailroom full of people to handle sales to the little people.

You can see the effect on business practices of the different attitude of leadership, compared to the days when someone ran Estes who loved model rocketry (Vern, that is).

Maybe the current Estes might swing back a bit toward supporting the hobby and accepting small parts orders? We can wish, can't we?

Maybe the current Estes might swing back a bit toward supporting the hobby and accepting small parts orders? We can wish, can't we?

I'm in on that wish. Though it seems unlikely with production in china. BeIng able to order any part would be amazing. I just don't think the profit would be there for them to justify it. I like cloning old kits like the optima and Phoenix, and trading nosecones gets tedious.

Shipping to my house in NC is $6 at the cheapest, that is 3-10 day parcel post.
Thanks for the info. :) I was wondering if maybe the reason they won't tell you how shipping costs until you create an account was because their shipping is really expensive. I am glad that is not the case!
(Unfortunately, they seem to be out of stock on almost all of their 24mm reloads. :confused:)

I received two NC-80B nose cones from Estes along with a few other parts and pieces. Someday they'll be a scratch built Fat Boy or a variant.
Shipping for the box full was $9.99 USPS Priority Mail to Alaska.

The site just looked really......well.....basic. But if you guys have used them and trust them, that's good enough for me. Thanks.

TLP is more about making rockets than making websites... nothing wrong with that...

Of course some people think TLP kits are a little too "basic" for their tastes as well (those that believe a MPR rocket isn't really MPR unless it can take the thrust of the biggest motor they can possibly shove in it, meaning it should be fiberglassed like an anti-tank round....)

later! OL JR :)

Balsa Machining Service has these in plastic and balsa:

View attachment 363829

the third column from the right indicates the length (in inches), and the two adjacent columns show ID and OD.

Prices are shown - it would cost $6 for shipping. I use them for parts, and they usually arrive 3-5 days upon placing an order.

Back