New threads and interesting conversations directly in your inbox. Sign up now and get a daily summary of the latest forum activities!
Discussion in 'LDRS General Discussions' started by Bat-mite, Mar 29, 2017.
If you look at Accuweather, then a bit of rain on Thursday and sunny Friday - Sunday. I never trust the weatherman when youare talking about Price, MD.
I know. I once saw a forecast of 0% chance of precip, then drove out there and it was snowing. Turned around and went home. We really won't know till we get there. But I was hoping for a warm/fuzzy.
With 50% chance or less on 3 days I feel like the weather men have no clue what the system will do and right now it could arrive on any of those days. By Tuesday/Wednesday we'll have a far better feel.
I saw the rain on the long range forecast and decided not to say anything. Pretend it doesn't exist.
Last Potter LDRS during the rain days we had a nice group discussion under the tent with a view of the lake.
I will be there either way.
We'll have some good flying days. With MD's Eastern Shore weather, you just won't know what you're going to get until you get there. We've had times when they were calling for high winds and low clouds, and then when you get there, it is gorgeous out. Other times, tons of people show up for a nice day to launch, and then it rains or clouds over.
Don't trust the forecast!
I've been watching for a while. It's changed every other day. Yesterday Accuweather showed full SUN. Two days earlier it showed mostly cloudy and again today after reading your post. Winds also increased from what yesterday stated. (Gusts dramatically). We'll just sit back and say some prayers for a repeat of last Saturday. Sunny and calm!
And that quickly all the rain has shifted to Tuesday. Woo hoo! Gonna be windy, though; no getting around that one. Bring some higher-thrust motors!
man. even though more rain on Friday, the winds appear better. Maybe I need to pull my daughter out of school much earlier to consider my high flight on Friday vs Saturday. I hate wind! (did I say that out loud?)
I'd planed on taking my kids out of school for LDRS until I realized it overlapped with Spring Break. In my opinion, developing interest in STEM hobbies will serve children much more than another day of fact memorization.
I (and my wife) totally agree. My boys will be missing a few days of school,but we feel the real world,hands on knowledge they will gain is better than the boring repetition of the classroom.
Near 100% chance of thunderstorms forecast for most of the day on Thursday. I have changed my hotel reservations, now I'll be driving up Thursday evening instead of Wednesday as originally planned. So I'll be there Friday through Sunday.
Strong wind forecast for Friday but at least maybe that will help dry out the field before the weekend.
We will be there late Wednesday afternoon/early evening.
I have two 10yo boys and was wondering what kind of indoor things are there to do in the area while we wait out the rain on Thursday?
It still seems all over the roadmap. The stronger gusts were on Saturday a few days ago when I was running monte carlo sims. this morning, that's the better day. I'll wait until Wednesday and make my plans. I was hoping to head up early Friday morning, but maybe Friday afternoon now. We'll see.
Honestly, you won't know what you're getting until you get there. Can't tell you how many times I've skipped a launch due to a forecast, and then wished I'd gone. And vice versa. Even 100% isn't 100% on the eastern shore.
I plan to be there Thurs. thru Sat. and take advantage of whatever launch window I get. Even if it rains, you can always hang out, talk, or buy stuff.
I will be there rain or shine on Thursday - Sunday as well. I am hoping for no rain, we'll see.
I agree. Over the last 15 years I've been tempted to cancel many launches because of weather, only to arrive at the launch site and have it be much nicer than predicted. I've only had a few that I ended up canceling after showing up.
I plan to be there every day as long as I can. I can always sit in the rented minivan and run the heater. I may have to take my wife to the hotel depending on how she's feeling, but otherwise I'll be there.
A happy wife = a happy life.
It's more a health reason. She has MS and some days are just better than others. I'm very fortunate; she has never been a complainer and has always been super supportive of my hobbies.
While talking weather, I like this site's graphics, this is the page for nearest city to my town, http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KCOU&state=MO
Regardless of what this program has forecasted, it is not intended to be a substitution for good common sense. Check your conditions before you launch and only launch in conditions that you are familiar with and are certified to fly in. The user assume the entire risk associated with the use of this data. Fly safely."
I like this graph from National Weather Service is pretty coll too, http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...-92.3341&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical
This says more betterer..
Looks like the fire danger will be low tonight.
I like it Teddy!! Can you drop the winds a bit too??
That's why I'm in such high demand at launches,, lol..
Teddy can only break wind, not soften it. :wink:
Heyyy,, that's what my wife says,,, lol..
I will be at Econo Lodge Easton Wednesday thru Monday. If anyone is bored!
You ought to come out to the launch at least once! :neener:
If there are thunderstorms Thurs. will the field be closed - can we drive on it and set up, or too muddy and lightening??
I switched from arriving Wed to arriving Thurs. Rain / wind looks like Thurs may be a wash out. Fri will still be windy - bring plenty of canopy stakes. Also, be prepared for wind dragging rockets after they landed!
Separate names with a comma.