I am shocked! -- Kevlar shears

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Call me stupid, but I have been purchasing different scissors/shears for about 10 years now trying to find the very best for the materials we use in rocketry. I have tried many different brands (Fiskars, Kai, etc.), materials (Titanium, Carbon Steel, Teflon-coated, etc.) and styles (large, small, serrated, industrial, sewing/specialty, etc.) and, although I have found some good scissors, I have never found a decent set of scissors that work on Kevlar (most just bind/rip and mostly do abrasive cuts on Kevlar). Well my search is over! A couple months ago I purchased this set of Clauss 8" shears simply doing a random rating search on a sewing site. I then checked it out on Amazon and the high ratings were matched. Price on the pair was ~$20 so I thought, why not?, but not really thinking I would get any different results. This morning I used them--AND WOW!!!! Cut this 4oz Kevlar like the proverbial butter. I have some 10 to 12oz at home I use for airframe reinforcement and I can't wait to try them on that material, but right now I am just shocked at how well these work!

IMG_0297.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Were Trauma Shears ever something you tried? Just curious if those work or not.

A good pair of Kevlar shears is easy and cheap. It has to do with preparation.

Get a pair of Fiskers. One needs blades which meet well without gap, and Fiskers usually qualify.

Take it to a sanding disk. Make a pass or two with a medium grit disk or belt, at right angles to the blade. This establishes the correct angle for shearing (Kevlar shears easily, but doesn't cut well at all). It also puts some tooth in the form of small serrations which prevents the Kevlar from being able to slide down the blades.

Do not use very fine or worn sandpaper. You do not want smooth edges.

Prepared like this, Kevlar shears will cut Kevlar like paper. When it starts getting duller, just take it back to the sanding disk or belt.

Gerald

Take it to a sanding disk. Make a pass or two with a medium grit disk or belt, at right angles to the blade. This establishes the correct angle for shearing (Kevlar shears easily, but doesn't cut well at all). It also puts some tooth in the form of small serrations which prevents the Kevlar from being able to slide down the blades.

You are doing this on points of each blade?

Along the edge of each blade. Two quick passes is about all it takes the first time for each blade. One quick pass is usually about all it takes to resharpen. What you are doing is changing the edge of the scissors from a cutting edge (pointy) to a right angle edge (for shearing). Essentially you are grinding the edge off. It has nothing to do with the tips of the scissor blades which are fairly pointy regardless.

Don't use the Kevlar scissors for cutting other fabric than one of the aramids, para-aramids and meta-aramids. Save the scissors for these Kevlar-like classes of fabrics and use a different scissor or roll cutter for carbon fiber or glass.

Gerald

Yes I meant point as in along the length (not the end).

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I have had great luck with cheap hair trimming scissors. The blades have fine serations that hold the fibers in place and don't let the material slide.

Add to that "contaminated":) I don't think my family can read. My stuff is always missing.
Yep, that note is really for my wife and son who tend to borrow things from my workshop.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Latest posts

Back